Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Jenkem, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    I didn't play Kingmaker, so I can't really comment on it. I only played a demo of Underrail, but from the little of what I have experienced the combat system was fairly straightforward.

^ Top  
  2. just Learned

just
    i went blind in disco elysium. skipped all the conversations to get to the combat and after 2h of skipping and walking around it was game over
    must have unknowingly rolled a speech character. not something i like, but i think it's good for role playing rpg game to offer variety of options
    i'll try to read some guides and build a more combat oriented character this time around

• Funny Funny x 11
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Good, we already established Disco disco was insignificant, now, we can add it's neither a cRPG nor an adventure game.
    So, it's nothing at all and you'll soon all forget about it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Too bad Disco Elysium haters can't forget about it :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Twiglard Arcane Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Just use

p ⇒ q ≡ ¬ p ∨ q

Implication operator is only good in set predicates, otherwise it does more harm to intuition than good. See drinker's paradox.

All of this zeroth-order shit can be intuitively explained using a C-style ternary operator. Truth tables are for retards.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. kreight Guest

kreight
    "Disco Elysium is a 'colossal' game that can take 90 hours to finish" pcgamer

• Funny Funny x 8
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's not meant for juvenile gamers who will ejaculate in their pants at the 20 hour mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    "We are a bunch of retards and storyfags and we review games" pcgamer

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sweeper Arcane Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    Disco Elysium may or may not be decline, but people who consider it an RPG sure as fuck are.
    And I use the word people loosely here.
    Edit: I've only now realized I posted the same post a page earlier, but fuck it, I was right then and I'm right now.

Voted GOTY... "RPG" Codex my left ass cheek. Go play an adventure game or read a novel or whatever it is you storyfags do.

• Brofist x 5
    • butthurt x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Terenty Arbiter

Terenty
    Even if it's not the most rpg thing ever it still had great atmosphere, art, exploration and the best writing in the industry.

I'll take Disco Elysium every time over shit like New Vegas

• retadred x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • decline x 1
    • No x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Twiglard Arcane Sad Loser

Twiglard
    That DE text-combat stuff reminds me of tabletop. The CRPG combat is invariably rigid, comparatively speaking. There's also tension involved. There's very little in CRPG combat.

• Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Tension in RPG combat" makes me think of precious few games - KCD, Battle Brothers, Baldur's Gate/IWD (even if you savescum, the dice can fuck you in any moment). The best RPG combat tension is achieved when you are throwing physical dice, and there are 4 other people watching.

A well crafted story is worth 3 "old-skool RPGs" where you can cheese your way through bad AI and a non-reactive "Dungeon Manster" in the form of pre-made quests and a map pre-populated with enemies and rewards. That's been done many times. What Disco does hasn't been done many times if at all.

Disco Elysium at least doesn't lie to you that the next playthrough will be very different.

• Brofist x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • No x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Yeah because "a?b:c" is more intuitvely explanatory than "If a then b else c". Btw: Truth tables are the basis for logical connectivness and retards are the ones who do not understand the fundament upon which the building stands.

^ Top  
  14. Twiglard Arcane Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Truth tables are dense. If you understand something, you don't have to memorize it. You only need to know which concept the operator stands for.

The syntax is irrelevant here.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.