Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Harthwain

Magister
So, you can pick up Underrail or Kingmaker and start comfortably playing it in the same amount of time as Disco? No time to learn the game mechanics, no trial and error?
I didn't play Kingmaker, so I can't really comment on it. I only played a demo of Underrail, but from the little of what I have experienced the combat system was fairly straightforward.

just

Liturgist
i went blind in disco elysium. skipped all the conversations to get to the combat and after 2h of skipping and walking around it was game over
must have unknowingly rolled a speech character. not something i like, but i think it's good for role playing rpg game to offer variety of options
i'll try to read some guides and build a more combat oriented character this time around

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Without intending to get into the topic of whether it is an RPG or not, those who claim DE is an adventure have never played one in their life. DE has no puzzles, neither based on inventory items (Sierra / Lucas) nor space manipulation (Myst); without puzzles, there is no adventure.

Good, we already established Disco disco was insignificant, now, we can add it's neither a cRPG nor an adventure game.
So, it's nothing at all and you'll soon all forget about it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Without intending to get into the topic of whether it is an RPG or not, those who claim DE is an adventure have never played one in their life. DE has no puzzles, neither based on inventory items (Sierra / Lucas) nor space manipulation (Myst); without puzzles, there is no adventure.

Good, we already established Disco disco was insignificant, now, we can add it's neither a cRPG nor an adventure game.
So, it's nothing at all and you'll soon all forget about it.

Too bad Disco Elysium haters can't forget about it :D

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
(i) (φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊬ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)
(ii) (φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊭ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)

Just use

p ⇒ q ≡ ¬ p ∨ q

Implication operator is only good in set predicates, otherwise it does more harm to intuition than good. See drinker's paradox.

All of this zeroth-order shit can be intuitively explained using a C-style ternary operator. Truth tables are for retards.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Disco Elysium may or may not be decline, but people who consider it an RPG sure as fuck are.
And I use the word people loosely here.
Edit: I've only now realized I posted the same post a page earlier, but fuck it, I was right then and I'm right now.

Voted GOTY... "RPG" Codex my left ass cheek. Go play an adventure game or read a novel or whatever it is you storyfags do.

Terenty

Liturgist
Even if it's not the most rpg thing ever it still had great atmosphere, art, exploration and the best writing in the industry.

I'll take Disco Elysium every time over shit like New Vegas

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Disco Elysium may or may not be decline, but people who consider it an RPG sure as fuck are.
And I use the word people loosely here.
Edit: I've only now realized I posted the same post a page earlier, but fuck it, I was right then and I'm right now.

Voted GOTY... "RPG" Codex my left ass cheek. Go play an adventure game or read a novel or whatever it is you storyfags do.

That DE text-combat stuff reminds me of tabletop. The CRPG combat is invariably rigid, comparatively speaking. There's also tension involved. There's very little in CRPG combat.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Tension in RPG combat" makes me think of precious few games - KCD, Battle Brothers, Baldur's Gate/IWD (even if you savescum, the dice can fuck you in any moment). The best RPG combat tension is achieved when you are throwing physical dice, and there are 4 other people watching.

A well crafted story is worth 3 "old-skool RPGs" where you can cheese your way through bad AI and a non-reactive "Dungeon Manster" in the form of pre-made quests and a map pre-populated with enemies and rewards. That's been done many times. What Disco does hasn't been done many times if at all.

Disco Elysium at least doesn't lie to you that the next playthrough will be very different.

Darkzone

Arcane
(i) (φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊬ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)
(ii) (φ ⇒ Ѱ) ⊭ (φ ⇔ Ѱ)

Just use

p ⇒ q ≡ ¬ p ∨ q

Implication operator is only good in set predicates, otherwise it does more harm to intuition than good. See drinker's paradox.
All of this zeroth-order shit can be intuitively explained using a C-style ternary operator. Truth tables are for retards.

Yeah because "a?b:c" is more intuitvely explanatory than "If a then b else c". Btw: Truth tables are the basis for logical connectivness and retards are the ones who do not understand the fundament upon which the building stands.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Truth tables are the basis for logical connectivness and retards are the ones who do not understand the fundament upon which the building stands.

Truth tables are dense. If you understand something, you don't have to memorize it. You only need to know which concept the operator stands for.

Yeah because "a?b:c" is more intuitvely explanatory than "If a then b else c".

The syntax is irrelevant here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom