Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RickOmbo

Learned
How urgent is that Illithid infection? Do you need to remove that tadpole in 100 days or something?

Takes weeks or so normally I think. But the first teaser trailer showed a guy changing in a matter of minutes
I bet there is a good explanation for that. Maybe humor is their weakness.

user

Savant
First thing he did in the game was zooming the camera to 3rd person perspective
decline.png
decline.png
decline.png

Also wtf is up with the dialog - why is the protagonist declaring what he is saying... is it a gen z thing?

Bladderfish

Augur
I loved OS:2. I loved BG and BG:2. However, this game feels like BG with an OS skin. There's none of the atmosphere of BG. None of the story ticks like being up against it right from the start, the open environments, none of the characters, no mention of Bhaalspawn. I mean, is the only link between this and BG the location? If it is, that's fuckin shit. A cash-in.

I'll give Larian the benefit of the doubt for now, but if this game doesn't have considerably more links to the two BG games, then it becomes nothing more than a deceit. If it does link into the Bhaalspawn saga and brings a few characters back (along with their voice actors?), then sign me up. I'm not holding my breath, though, because if they wanted to nail that presentation, they would have ended it with a "Heya!"

Boomer_007

Novice
Look's like reskinning is the new WotC strategy for the BG's brand-developing. The same story with the tabletop "Betrayal at Baldur's Gate" -- it's just reskinned "Betrayal at House on the Hill".

img_20180104_221629-1664x934.jpg

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
1. *Shitposts*
2.[Intelligence] *Posts a witty and insightful comment about BG3 based on the gameplay reveal*
3.[Perception] *Notices that this game is just DoS2 with BG name attached*
4. *end conversation*

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I did watch the gameplay and i am positively impressed. Reminded me less of a BG and more a pen and paper session of D&D. They adapted the system well i also love the dynamism it adds. Trowing people down. Trow objects. Actually interestinc stealth mechanics. Charisma and Persuasion check. A way less cartoonish graphic. I Love it.

As for the ones crying out a river because is not real time with pause well hear ye hear ye D&D is turn based also you won't have in depth dynamic gameplay in real time. I was skeptical but larian turned out to be the right choice. Of course waiting to see more before buying but now i am more inclined to buy it.

As for the ones whining is not real time don't worry you will have your real time D&D game.

https://youtu.be/lEXgaEGpfHc

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How urgent is that Illithid infection? Do you need to remove that tadpole in 100 days or something?
If I remember my old 2e lore correctly, Ceremorphosis took a week to be completed.

But then again, I'm certain the tadpole was inserted through the EAR and the victim's personality was completely erased within hours. They've taken their liberties already.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

frajaq

Erudite
I thought the cool story would be the protagonist being The Adversary from the mindflayer prophecy but nope you and your buddies from the ship now have mental powers because ?????

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I remember my old 2e lore correctly, Ceremorphosis took a week to be completed.

But then again, I'm certain the tadpole was inserted through the EAR and the victim's personality was completely erased within hours. They've taken their liberties already.

No

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ceremorphosis
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. What exactly in the wiki contradicts what I said?

DeepOcean

Arcane
The major problem I had with the presentation is that it lacks that adventuring feeling of low level DnD, after seeing three dragons porsuing an Ithlid ship as an introduction, everything that comes afterwards is meh, even Planescape Torment that is about you dealing with angels and immortal creatures on a regular basis starts with you being some strange dude on a fucking slab. Here,you are presented with an epic showdown right out of the bat then the game cuts and deliver you on a nondescript location without much of a context then you fight brain monsters that are supposedly dangerous creature in the Underdark but you genocide them like globins.

I wont judge the technical aspects like the lip synch and the cutscene animations because this is a buggy vertical slice of an alpha game but the presentation left me unimpressed. I'm not saying you having an Ithilid Tadpole on your head is a bad thing from a storytelling point of view but I hope they actually use it on the main story because if it is just a contrivance for you to have powers with no drawbacks/consequences whatsoever and conveniently you remove it when the story says so, it would be really weak.

I hate this "Lets capture the Down's Syndrome kids with short attention spans with random high fantasy cliches and epicness." It cheapens the whole thing. I didnt like the complete lack of any sense of mystery with the nazi feminist looking cleric lady explaining to you the reproduction methods of Ithilids on detail then regurgitating the goal the designer wants you to follow like a commandment on the most awkward exposition possible as if you were a moron that needed a lecture on that and that she conveniently had that very specific knowledge right there because "We cant let gaemers be even a little bit confused any time."

The idea of you killing dangerous creatures from the underdark at level 01 like you were genociding globins is Bethesda levels of retardation. This could be only an irrelevant vertical slice to show off, I hope it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom