Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Sadly it's looking like the boots are going to win. When do we lock it at BB.
Unless there's more flopping soon, I would say we can lock it.

No one seems to be budging from their position.

Baltika9

Arcane
This is a treave lets play. We don't usually get to have our cake and eat it too.

Maybe we get separated, maybe it can only be read by the one it's bonded to.

I could just as easily ask what's to stop us from borrowing the book or the spectacles from them?
Well, boots and spectacles aren't items that you usually just pass around, unlike books. All's I'm saying is that, if the book contains some cool knowledge, we could try to barter for that knowledge later, circumstances permitting. And you are right, we don't usually get to have our cake and eat it too, so we might have to eat a muffin for it.

Again, boots aren't a bad choice. But passing up on the book may be something we will come to regret.
Yeah, I'll flop back to 1A, just so I can be smug if we miss out on some cool stuff later. Follow me, or don't, I think we'll be fine no matter what we pick. Inb4 the boots are the only Astra in there.

Be rational.

Esquilax

Arcane
Sadly it's looking like the boots are going to win. When do we lock it at BB.
Unless there's more flopping soon, I would say we can lock it.

No one seems to be budging from their position.

I'm willing to budge. I'm flopping. Again. Starting the Aflopalypse

AB

Wait, are we voting for the book or Yuhe Finger? I'm just voting for whatever results in six years of lingering butthurt.

Baltika9

Arcane
Wait, are we voting for the book or Yuhe Finger? I'm just voting for whatever results in six years of lingering butthurt.
Win or lose, A will deliver butthurt: if A loses, then we will be butthurt about all the secrets of the universe that we missed out on, and if A wins, then we will blame Lambchop for all the blisters we will get.

One more flop will tie A and B, btw.

Kipeci

Arcane
Life of the Party Come on, no point in wasting a vote on E. Put your vote to A.

Kipeci Book is better than boots, come on now.

Eh, if the girls leave the book I’d take it but I prefer boots. Very complicated books don’t seem to be something our protagonist could assemble a strong handle on now (recall how he’d have fared poorly with the more complex titles earlier in the sense of actually understanding them versus being a show-off) and I’m still chewing on the substantial lore dump we got from learning to read. I’d rather firm up our physical capabilities that have now deteriorated a bit and better boots for our damaged legs seems like the perfect fit. Plus it can be worn without taking up space that could be used for useful material like salves and lanterns and is less likely to confiscated or stolen. I think the girls will get better mileage out of peeping and turning those pages than the boots, too.

Esquilax

Arcane
Life of the Party Come on, no point in wasting a vote on E. Put your vote to A.

Kipeci Book is better than boots, come on now.

Eh, if the girls leave the book I’d take it but I prefer boots. Very complicated books don’t seem to be something our protagonist could assemble a strong handle on now (recall how he’d have fared poorly with the more complex titles earlier in the sense of actually understanding them versus being a show-off) and I’m still chewing on the substantial lore dump we got from learning to read. I’d rather firm up our physical capabilities that have now deteriorated a bit and better boots for our damaged legs seems like the perfect fit. Plus it can be worn without taking up space that could be used for useful material like salves and lanterns and is less likely to confiscated or stolen. I think the girls will get better mileage out of peeping and turning those pages than the boots, too.

Solid points. In any case, I think we should be thankful that we (hopefully) got something out of this first adventure for our character. Assuming that whoever's on the other side of that door isn't (a) hostile, and (b) doesn't find us. Let's lock it up - I think we've generated enough butthurt for one DISCUSS.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It would be greatly appreciated if you guys informed what you flopped to (since you make another post to inform us of the fact anyways). Not everyone remembers a post from 5 pages back.

Absinthe

Arcane
Kz3r0, would you be willing to flop back to book now since that will cause book to win?

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With Azira's conditional flop, it is now

===Poll===

==1st choice==
A - 8 (9)
B - 8 (10)
C - 0
D - 3 (1)
E - 1

==2nd choice==
A - 3
B - 17

@kz3ro If you flop back to book, the book will indeed win. There won't be no tie and this is the better choice as you previously agreed.

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, if the girls leave the book I’d take it but I prefer boots. Very complicated books don’t seem to be something our protagonist could assemble a strong handle on now (recall how he’d have fared poorly with the more complex titles earlier in the sense of actually understanding them versus being a show-off) and I’m still chewing on the substantial lore dump we got from learning to read.
We're already capable of literacy. The reason why those books were pretentious shit is because we didn't study them properly but would have used them as our version of leisure reading, with predictably half-baked consequences. Now I ask you, how can we get our Indiana Jones on if we're unwilling to read books we find in ruins? What happens if this book ends up being a treasure map or captain's log to bigger treasures and we let it slip through our fingers? Ponder it, my man. Choose the book. It is waiting for you, promising its secrets.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Eh, if the girls leave the book I’d take it but I prefer boots. Very complicated books don’t seem to be something our protagonist could assemble a strong handle on now (recall how he’d have fared poorly with the more complex titles earlier in the sense of actually understanding them versus being a show-off)
The reason he couldn't handle the pretentious books wasn't because he's stupid, but because he lived in the woods all his life. Kind of hard to wrap your head around geopolitics when you just spoke to the second human in your life a few months ago.

He's actually quite sharp and learned to read and got a pretty thorough education in only 6 months. GED ain't got nothing on our foster dad apparently. I'm not saying he's a genius, but at 6 INT he's clearly more intelligent than not.

Esquilax

Arcane
The reason he couldn't handle the pretentious books wasn't because he's stupid, but because he lived in the woods all his life. Kind of hard to wrap your head around geopolitics when you just spoke to the second human in your life a few months ago.

He's actually quite sharp and learned to read and got a pretty thorough education in only 6 months. GED ain't got nothing on our foster dad apparently. I'm not saying he's a genius, but at 6 INT he's clearly more intelligent than not.

Well, he's obviously a disciplined, tough, determined kid, so that helps with being diligent when it comes to studies. Conscientiousness counts for a lot.

However, we should be mindful of that old sports cliche, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Especially the last part of that statement. There are very few even highly intelligent kids that can understand a thing off that reading list, both because it requires a high degree of the ability to think and conceptualize a lot of abstract concepts and a wealth of life experience to ground them in some sort of reality. The latter part will come in time, and the former would take A LOT of investment, which tbh I personally wouldn't be keen on at the expense of developing our Perception or physical stats. I don't like the idea of our guy becoming too soft/civilized and developing into a boring autist. I didn't like Scholar for that very reason. (though I loved the Ambassador's Child background too)

Don't get me wrong, getting the INT boost was cool and I think it rounds him out nicely, but I like that feral, survivalist edge to the character and we shouldn't lose that.

Absinthe

Arcane
Trust the codex to have wildly swinging flops at the last moment. :lol: I think we went A->B->D->B->A overall.

Well, he's obviously a disciplined, tough, determined kid, so that helps with being diligent when it comes to studies. Conscientiousness counts for a lot. However, we should be mindful of that old sports cliche, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." Especially the last part of that statement.
Eh, I'm of the opinion that talent is more like having a very good foundation that makes the rest easier and faster to pick up. And you can develop a good foundation. Similarly, developing a higher int seems like it would help us acquire skills more quickly. It also seems like a must-have (along with Perception) for the Traps skill I want us to try out for once. We've never done high level traps before, and I want to see sort of crazy awesome happens when we start pushing Traps into 8+.

There are very few even highly intelligent kids that can understand a thing off that reading list, both because it requires a high degree of the ability to think and conceptualize a lot of abstract concepts and a wealth of life experience to ground them in some sort of reality. The latter part will come in time, and the former would take A LOT of investment, which tbh I personally wouldn't be keen on at the expense of developing our Perception or physical stats.
That's a big reason why I get a bit motivated to push for learning opportunities. If we don't seize learning opportunities when we can, we're going to get pushed more into making that kind of trade-off. But if we do seize learning opportunities, we can develop a better breadth of skills without having to make those kinds of sacrifices. It's also worth noting that last time if we had picked honing our body, we wouldn't have developed a stat boost from it. We would just have learned more about our injury and why we're not recovering as well as we want to. Something tells me that further developing medicine skill (or asking the doctor) will also help us answer those kinds of questions though.

I don't like the idea of our guy becoming too soft/civilized and developing into a boring autist. I didn't like Scholar for that very reason. (though I loved the Ambassador's Child background too) Don't get me wrong, getting the INT boost was cool and I think it rounds him out nicely, but I like that feral, survivalist edge to the character and we shouldn't lose that.
I agree that we definitely shouldn't lose that, but I don't think developing int requires us to lose our survivalist edge. What do you think about developing into more of an Indiana Jones type character? Dude was an archeologist, and a smart one, but certainly had his own survivalist edge. I'm leaning towards developing in that direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom