Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Fallout 3 is art

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2009/01/fallout_3_the_art_of_the_game.html">National Public Radio, how could you</a>?
<br>
<blockquote>Tour around the various online and print videogame publications, and you'll come across a game that's making all the Best of '08 lists. That game is Fallout 3
<br>
[...]
<br>
Fallout 3 is state-of-the-art game design, and I can say this with confidence because (a) I've followed the industry professionally for many years, and (b) the game has completely devoured my free and not-so-free time for the last month or so.
<br>
[...]
<br>
I would also contend that the game is the final winning argument -- if one still needs to be made -- for videogames as art.</blockquote>
<br>
See? This is what happens when nobody else releases any decent games in your genre.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">http://www.gamebanshee.com</a>

Rhalle

Magister
Art design is by far FO3's greatest strength, followed closely by number of dollars devoted to buying ad space (and reviewers).

But art? Nah.

HL2 is clearly the game that has come closest to art.

And, honestly, I doubt we will ever see its like again.

Tintin

Arbiter
HL2 is the game that comes closest to art, in my opinion.

HL2? Really? I would say Grim Fadango, the Last Express, and other titles are way more deserving of being called art than HL2.

Rhalle

Magister
Tintin said:
HL2 is the game that comes closest to art, in my opinion.

HL2? Really? I would say Grim Fadango, the Last Express, and other titles are way more deserving of being called art than HL2.

Absolutely.

I Don't know The Last Express, and Grim Fandango is good (and is arguably a better game), but HL2 comes closest to art for me.

Tintin

Arbiter
I have to agree that the bash Fallout 3 train left a while ago and we should strop running after it to make a cinematic goodbye.

When's the next TES coming out?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
It's probably a matter of my reading comprehension in English, but I haven't found in this article any real argument which would proof Fo3 is a piece of art. The only thing that seems to be close to an argument is that the game is set in post-apocalyptic world and it is cooler than The Day After, Earth Abides or The Stand. It must be my fault, because somebody working in prestigious National Public Radio can't write without any sense.

So I have a request for all the smart guys on the Codex. Could anyone summarize the article using simple words, so poor, dumb Jim would understand anything?

Shoelip

Arbiter
His chief weapon is surprise! Surprise and idiocy! His two chief weapons and surprise and idiocy! And a fanatical devotion to being an asshole!

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Volourn has failed Monty Python reference detection test.
VILLAGER 1: "Ban him!"
VILLAGER 2: "Ban!"
JIM COJONES: "What else makes you think he should be banned?"
VILLAGER 3: "Well, he turned me into a newt."
JIM COJONES: "A newt?"
VILLAGER 3: "I got better."
VILLAGER 2: "Ban him anyway!"

Hazelnut

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
<a href="http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2009/01/fallout_3_the_art_of_the_game.html">National Public Radio, how could you</a>?
<blockquote>Tour around the various online and print videogame publications, and you'll come across a game that's making all the Best of '08 lists. That game is Fallout 3
[...]
Fallout 3 is state-of-the-art game design, and I can say this with confidence because (a) I've followed the industry professionally for many years, and (b) the game has completely devoured my free and not-so-free time for the last month or so.
[...]
I would also contend that the game is the final winning argument -- if one still needs to be made -- for videogames as art.</blockquote>
See? This is what happens when nobody else releases any decent games in your genre.

Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">http://www.gamebanshee.com</a>

You know I'm actually starting to wonder if there's a genetic link between Humans and Magpies. :roll:

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
Games aren't art. They're games.

Art is art.

Any medium has the potential to be art, and a few games in history have arguably crossed that line.

Fallout 3 is not one of them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Any medium has the potential to be art, and a few games in history have arguably crossed that line."

No.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Like Volly said, games are games, not art. They might contain artistic design to some parts of it and that's about as far as it goes.
You don't call a book art because it has a picture of Monalisa on the front cover while the entire book is all about the adventures of Andyman Messiah running naked on times square screaming how awesome the wind feels on his mangled two headed dick. This is simply not art.

Lothers

Scholar
racofer said:
Like Volly said, games are games, not art. They might contain artistic design to some parts of it and that's about as far as it goes.
You don't call a book art because it has a picture of Monalisa on the front cover while the entire book is all about the adventures of Andyman Messiah running naked on times square screaming how awesome the wind feels on his mangled two headed dick. This is simply not art.

If books aren't art I don't know what is... Maybe music? No, music is just sounds in harmony. What about painting? It's only paint on the wood. So maybe sculpture? How sculpted rock can be an art? Dancing? Nay. So what is an art?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lothers said:
racofer said:

If books aren't art I don't know what is... Maybe music? No, music is just sounds in harmony. What about painting? It's only paint on the wood. So maybe sculpture? How sculpted rock can be an art? Dancing? Nay. So what is an art?

Trolling is.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fallout 3 is state-of-the-art game design, and I can say this with confidence because (a) I've followed the industry professionally for many years

Why every time when shitty reviewers try to prove that they know something besides nothing they use the "look at me I'm profeshunul for so many years" flawed argument?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom