Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Edwin is an exceptional case, though, I can't think of another companion in an RPG who is strictly better than the PC of the same class.
In BG1. In BG2 only if you narrow the "same class" to "conjurer", because the wild mage ist the most powerful specialization (the ee removed some of the cheese, afaik), and the sorcerer the most powerful arcane caster.
I wonder if it is possible to have a fighter/sorcerer multiclass with shadowkeeper...

I want to say that I have tried, and that it is not possible. The sorcerer template overwrites things in the same way the paladin does, making it impossible to multiclass in the engine. It's been a very long time. You can apply wild mage effects and spells onto the sorcerer though, which is great fun. A wild sorcerer isn't quite as good as a regular wild mage though, because the limited spells known undercuts the value of Nahals Reckless Dewomer. That's a narrow argument, and more of a preference.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Edwin is an exceptional case, though, I can't think of another companion in an RPG who is strictly better than the PC of the same class.
In BG1. In BG2 only if you narrow the "same class" to "conjurer", because the wild mage ist the most powerful specialization (the ee removed some of the cheese, afaik), and the sorcerer the most powerful arcane caster.
I wonder if it is possible to have a fighter/sorcerer multiclass with shadowkeeper...

I want to say that I have tried, and that it is not possible. The sorcerer template overwrites things in the same way the paladin does, making it impossible to multiclass in the engine. It's been a very long time. You can apply wild mage effects and spells onto the sorcerer though, which is great fun. A wild sorcerer isn't quite as good as a regular wild mage though, because the limited spells known undercuts the value of Nahals Reckless Dewomer. That's a narrow argument, and more of a preference.

Thanks. I tried to learn modding on BG2 but weidu is too hard and frustrating. I wish that i could port 5e warlock to infinity engine, in general, he would be a sorcerer with less spells kown, but more spells slots and some abilities depending the patron who teaches magic to him. A option to have a succubus familiar would also be welcomed. Do you know a good tutorial teaching how to mod infinity engine?

S0rcererV1ct0r I didn't have to use the engine editor. I used Shadowkeeper. Many class features are represented as string variables. If you look at the last tab on shadowkeeper (I can't recall it), you can transpose them onto a new character. I am a bit busy this weekend, but I will PM you when I have some time.

Incendax

Augur
She has 18 WIS only in BG2, she has 15 in BG1.
She also has 18 in SoD, and you can bring the wisdom manuals over to get 21. She goes back down to 18 in BG2, but I feel no guilt putting her back to 21 if I spent the manuals on her in SoD.

That buys her six extra spell slots. Which is not amazing if you have something else to do with those tomes, but pretty nice.

Cael

Arcane

Dang. Maybe modify the files? I recall a table running around that allowed you to modify which classes can multiclass. Not sure how that will affect the game, though.

Dodo1610

Arcane
BG1 has a large cast of NPCs (25 of them--excluding EE).
I hope BG3 will have a large cast too. The few new CRPGs I played all had a small -if not minimal- cast and that was disappointing honestly.

Forget it, all of the companions have to be the playable origin stories which mean they have to write unique dialogue and of course quests for them, I bet there will be between 6-9 companions like in most recent RPGs.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Quality > Quantity. The minimum number of companions a party based rpg needs is double the minimum party size, so you can make two parties that dont share a single member for replayability. In a 4 man party with origins stories I am absolutely fine if the have minimum 8 backgrounds, and I prefer 8 fleshed out characters to BGs 25 characters of whom 5 have more than the default dialogue.

Harthwain

Magister
In a 4 man party with origins stories I am absolutely fine if the have minimum 8 backgrounds, and I prefer 8 fleshed out characters to BGs 25 characters of whom 5 have more than the default dialogue.
Make that 10, in case the player steals character's background.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
In a 4 man party with origins stories I am absolutely fine if the have minimum 8 backgrounds, and I prefer 8 fleshed out characters to BGs 25 characters of whom 5 have more than the default dialogue.
Make that 10, in case the player steals character's background.

Isnt BG 3 player + 3 companions? player + 4 would need 10 yes.

Harthwain

Magister
Isnt BG 3 player + 3 companions? player + 4 would need 10 yes.
You are correct. My bad. I was thinking about Divinity: Original Sin 2, where you had party of 4 with 6 companions total, meaning you needed +2 for two "full" playthrough (assuming you wanted to use companion's backgrounds for your own character). This is why I added 2 to your 8, somehow completely forgetting that 8 is enough.

Shrimp

Arbiter
On a slightly unrelated note, I firmly believe that if Minsc's first appearance was in a modern game (2015+) a lot more people would absolutely hate him and call him overly wacky.

Stefmob

Novice
On a slightly unrelated note, I firmly believe that if Minsc's first appearance was in a modern game (2015+) a lot more people would absolutely hate him and call him overly wacky.
how can you not love a character that screams:

go for the eyes, go for the eyes

DraQ

Arcane

Dodo1610

Arcane

I hope BG3 will have some fun and friendly companions at the moment we have a vampire, an evil cleric, an aggressive alien, a warlock who made with a pact with a devil and only one friendly wizard.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Personally, I prefer NPCs that don't have massive mental deficiencies.
:swen:
I see that you deliberately lack reading comprehension. Can't help someone who is willfully stupid.
I am perfectly aware of what you said. It's still funny given that Minsc is among the three recruitable characters who are the most wrong in the head.
"Tiax rules all!" is somehow better in the head than Minsc???

:backawayslowly:

Shrimp

Arbiter

I hope BG3 will have some fun and friendly companions at the moment we have a vampire, an evil cleric, an aggressive evil alien, a warlock who made with a pact with a devil and only one friendly wizard.
I'd be very surprised (as well as disappointed) if BG3 doesn't contain more companions than the ones we've seen so far, but at the same time I'm fully aware that we shouldn't expect to see a large-sized cast of companions. I imagine that there, at the bare minimum, will be enough companions for the player to be able to run with a full good-aligned party.
That being said redemption arcs and 'morally ambiguous' characters are popular elements in modern fantasy and I expect it to heavily influence the companions' personalities and quest lines.

Cat Dude

Savant
BG3 like Divinity Original Sin is gonna have up to 4 characters for battle and exploration

Elex

Arbiter
Forget it, all of the companions have to be the playable origin stories which mean they have to write unique dialogue and of course quests for them, I bet there will be between 6-9 companions like in most recent RPGs.
One per class + some custom character origins.

Campfire npc will exist too.

DraQ

Arcane
Personally, I prefer NPCs that don't have massive mental deficiencies.
:swen:
I see that you deliberately lack reading comprehension. Can't help someone who is willfully stupid.
I am perfectly aware of what you said. It's still funny given that Minsc is among the three recruitable characters who are the most wrong in the head.
"Tiax rules all!" is somehow better in the head than Minsc???

:backawayslowly:
Tiax and Xzar are the other two, actually.

Cael

Arcane
I'd rate Shar-Teel's feminazism worse, as is the other idiot gnome who thinks he is smart and Eldoth the slime and Montaron the sociopath. Minsc is a mental child. The others are psychopaths.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'd rate Shar-Teel's feminazism worse, as is the other idiot gnome who thinks he is smart and Eldoth the slime and Montaron the sociopath. Minsc is a mental child. The others are psychopaths.

You know that Minsk has Schizophrenia right? He has delusions of grandeur about Boo as his space hamster + at least has audio hallucinations about the things Boo tells him.

Tiax, Xzar and Xan have mental illnesses aswell but Minsk is absolutely one of the three most insane characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom