Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmmm, if you need to load on so many wizards - maybe Death Knight is better than gladiator or fighter for the dc lowering aura?
I think a Bard would be better than a Death Knight for that. A Bard can add +1/2/3 to spell DCs for your casters, but it's limited per day, so I don't know. The Death Knight has to be pretty close to stuff for his save-reducing aura to work. The Bard also gets 9 bonus feats if you want him to trip stuff or whatever.
Death Knight + Bard + 3 Wizards + 1 Psion perhaps? That'd be pretty cheesy. But not very fun... the Bard is just a Fighter with extra steps.

Eeeh, I don't really care... I need a break.

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Silence works fine but does mass mute works? It only affects 1 target for me.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
So how much of the upper sewers can be done at level 7? The answer is a lot if you have a big supply of spell point weeds. I've already cleared a good chunk of the place including stuff like the gorgons, the jarl, and that tome of summoning though that took about 20 reloads because it comes down to pure melee on that guy. It's mostly the gladiators cleaning up, with some key spells from the wizard and cleric, my psions are dead weight right now.

I could go from level 7 to 15 at this point, one more fight and I could make it 16. I say turnabout is fair play, Pierre plays his sick twisted games and we play ours.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tweed
The buying extra spellpoint plants from the ratmen is a bug. You're cheating, if you are using a stock from the ratmen earlier (or anyone else with respawning inventory.)
Do it proper, if that's how you been doing it!

If you're just using the ~4-6 or so you get normally, that's fair enough. But I know it wouldn't be enough for me.

jungl

Augur
mage knights seems op can easily land touch spells. buff allies +10 stats and uncapped spells that can nuke enemies hard with spell or melee.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally finished it!

kotc2bjkec.png

After struggling with the courtyard fight in chapter 4, I changed my strategy for the final fight from offence to defence by focusing on buffing the party's saving throws and spell resistances. In particular, I used the Cleric's Level 9 spell that gave my entire party 32 spell resistance, the Mass Protection Level 8 Wizard spell that increased everyone's saving throws by 8, and also used the Psionicist to level drain the high priority casters to where they were useless. The Sorceror and Warlock companions also threw out Haste, Greater Protection against Fire, True Seeing and Mass Cocoons.

With all these buffs, most enemy spells failed to take hold and my melee ran amok. Dominate Undead also proved immensely useful and the fight was basically done.

All in all, one of the best combat focused rpgs I've played even despite a couple of encounters that took the already brutal difficulty too far. If one is looking for an rpg that tests one's understanding of D&D combat tactics to the maximum, there is no better recommendation.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally finished it!

kotc2bjkec.png

After struggling with the courtyard fight in chapter 4, I changed my strategy for the final fight from offence to defense by focusing on buffing the party's saving throws and spell resistances. In particular, I used the Cleric's Level 9 spell that gave my entire party 32 spell resistance, the Mass Protection Level 8 Wizard spell that increased everyone's saving throws by 8, and also used the Psionicist to level drain the high priority casters to where they were useless. The Sorceror and Warlock companions also threw out Haste, Greater Protection against Fire, True Seeing and Mass Cocoons.

With all these buffs, most enemy spells failed to take hold and my melee ran amok. Dominate Undead also proved immensely useful and the fight was basically done.

All in all, one of the best combat focused rpgs I've played even despite a couple of encounters that took the already brutal difficulty too far. If one is looking for an rpg that tests one's understanding of D&D combat tactics to the maximum, there is no better recommendation.

Yes but there's not even any D&D game recently, will be hard to go back to owlcat pathfinder after that or BG3, those games on ironman harcore probably 100x easier than kotc 2 .There's no competition at all.
I still would not recommend everyone to play augury of chaos yet , not before he fix some stuff . I read on discord he will make the pizarra fight more fun.There's quite a few fight completely unfair.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
6 wizards, 5 human ones and a elven one. Each one has 16 dex, 16 con, 20 int. Im going in guise!

Is this stable enough to be playable already? I'm feeling like some Pierresploitation.

Patch 1.02 to be released tomorrow, maybe worth waiting for one more day.

I think i'll wait for a couple of patches, i hate broken feats and Temple + 1.0.79 is entertaining enough with the DM mode to add enemies here and there, trying the dwarf defender prestige class, the assassin and the warmage (nice for nuking if you have another mage or bard for enchantment spells).
A shame the Archmage isn't implemented yet.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Victory over the death snare room, only took about 12 tries! Secret to my success was using true strike to mash the demon and of course, reloading every single time I failed initiative.

Mortmal

Arcane
Victory over the death snare room, only took about 12 tries! Secret to my success was using true strike to mash the demon and of course, reloading every single time I failed initiative.
yes there's a few mandatory spells to take, true strike but also true seeing, web, grease, break enchantment . I dont think its possible to play without them.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
6 wizards, 5 human ones and a elven one. Each one has 16 dex, 16 con, 20 int. Im going in guise!

Is this stable enough to be playable already? I'm feeling like some Pierresploitation.

I think i'll wait for a couple of patches, i hate broken feats and Temple + 1.0.79 is entertaining enough with the DM mode to add enemies here and there, trying the dwarf defender prestige class, the assassin and the warmage (nice for nuking if you have another mage or bard for enchantment spells).
A shame the Archmage isn't implemented yet.

Did Pierre mention any preliminary patch notes?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Did Pierre mention any preliminary patch notes?
I already posted the patch notes on discord. ( note it still might change )
unknown.png

I still have to test the patch before it goes live, if nothing goes wrong, it might be released on Friday.

I say go for it, you can always apply a patch and continue where you left.

Temple + 1.0.79 is entertaining enough with the DM mode to add enemies here and there, trying the dwarf defender prestige class, the assassin and the warmage (nice for nuking if you have another mage or bard for enchantment spells)
Try the arcane archer, he is pretty OP.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Try the arcane archer, he is pretty OP.

Good to know, i'll save it for the next playthrough when the Archmage is released, archery sucks in ToEE mostly because or the long arrows animation but i've always wanted to try a ranger build.
Also, the swashbuckler will be interesting when (if) the acrobatic charge feat is implemented.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I say go for it, you can always apply a patch and continue where you left.

So you say, but you have to remember Pierre's autistic website is giving me a limit of 20 downloads :D

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Finally finished it!

Congratz! what party did you have?
Human Fighter
Mantis Gladiator
Mantis Rogue
Halfling Cleric
Elf Psionicist
Elf Wizard
+
Sorceror and Warlock NPCs.

The Recruitable NPCs have terrible initiative and so for the final chapter I had to relegate them to being buffbots outside of Pizarra's Energy spells and Cocoons. The Rogue's 10D6 sneak damage seems impressive in theory when paired with a Mantis, but it pales in comparison to what a Fighter can do. The Rogue's greatest accomplishment was sneak attacking the Hydra to death in 1 round. I even tried to make the Rogue work with the ring of permanent greater invisibility and boots of haste, but it was very underwhelming.

The Mantis Gladiator racked up a lot of early to mid game kills, but the Fighter changed the entire dynamic when he got Wade in. By the end of the game I had crafted a couple of Scythes with Swift, Skewer and Barbarous enchants and that essentially meant that every time his attack was 5 more than the enemy's AC he would do 100-150 damage, through damage reduction. Most Dragons in the game are not crit immune, so a hasted fighter with Wade in meant that every Dragon died in the same round it spawned. For all intents and purposes the Fighter made Dragons trash mobs, even killing 2 adjacent Dragons in a single standard action.

I tried to replicate the same carnage with the Gladiator but even with the belt that gives the psionic pounce ability, there was no comparison. Every round the fighter could heal himself with a potion as a move action and execute a full round attack as a standard action.

For a replay I think going 2 Mantis Fighters where one uses 4 swift skewering weapons and the other wields 4 oversized swift weapons will be devastating. The only issue is that I'm unsure about the availability of that many enchant materials. The Wizard, Cleric and Psionicist were also too useful to replace. Also a Bard's +3 saving throws Song will be infinitely more useful than a Rogue ever was by my experience.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Interesting ideas, and congratulations on beating the most difficult RPG I know. Good to know that Wade In really does make such a big difference and that Rogues truly are terrible.

So far every winning party had:
1 Psion
1 Cleric or Bishop or Druid
1 Wizard
1 reliable big damage dealer melee

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Which domains did he have and how did they turn out?

Also which spec was your wizard and did you transform him or erzimon?
I went for the cookie cutter Life and Curing Domains. Maximised heals were still useful endgame, but curing making all heal spells a move action unfortunately doesn't seem to stack with the accelerated spell buff from Wizards/Psions. In Chapter 4 I always had the Psion double accelerate himself and the Cleric, and that made the Curing domain redundant.

Wizard was enchant spec and I did transform him. It was a mixed bag -- not really useful in bypassing the ridiculous 30+ spell resistances of enemies in Chapter 4, but it did mean that with the Robe and Crown of the Archmage, I was able to get so much more mileage from each rest when it came to available Level 7, 8 and 9 spells. I didn't transform Erzimon since he was already lagging behind when it came to high level spell availability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom