Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Increased price hike is gonna make GamePass more popular.

Imagine you wanna play new Halo with some of your friends and all you need is any kind of PC or Xbox and a GamePass. Even a phone will do in a year or two. No purchase needed for a new X or anyone buying the game at full price.
If Microsoft opens their wallet even more for some popular 3rd party releases to include them on day one its gonna be hard to compete.
Sneaky motherfuckers.

I have a Linux machine that is kinda weak on the gaming side but i also have a decent internet connection at 100Mbps. I am really beginning to look into streaming services. When i look at how much expensive is to upgrade my machine for next gen AAA titles, and how cheap streaming is, if it is decent without lags i think it's a no-brainer

tritosine2k

Erudite
High bitrate streaming is not a thing but TAA kinda kills detail anyway so what's left is scrambled by coder that cannot deal with noise like stuff (even simple grass) and produces an ugly smear across multiple frames.
Maybe with high bitrate this could be solved by making a coder that f*cks off around noise like stuff and you even get it to f*ck off by applying such nearly imperceptible noise. AFAIK this can be done with mp3.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ive had xCloud access for a few months now and from my experience it needs a rock solid connection to work properly especially on wi-fi.

Same app includes even console streaming, mirrors my home Xbox so if someone else is occupying TV you can play on wherever you got the app installed, phone, PC or tablet.
Still not perfect tho, input lag is actually good when stream works as it should. Doesnt let me play back compat titles for some reason.

XCloud works better and more stable on 3G/4G for some reason than on my wi-fi. Barely any hitches and it sucks like 2 gb of data per hour.

Its super nice if you play something like Civ6, Lego and some other slower shit but on 60 fps twitch racers or shooters there are noticable hitches.

mk0

Learned
YouTube is objectively the best gaming platform. It's free, it works on all devices with up to 4k60fps quality and you get to sit back and relax while the games play themselves, what more could a modern AAA gamer ask for?

cosmicray

Savant
I hope it is Microsoft who's pushing for $80 games so they could sell their Game Pass-enabled console like hotcakes.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Samsung did a deal with Xbox on S20 reveal so you can bet when S21 or whatever they choose to call it comes out next year its gonna come preloaded with like 3 months of free xCloud.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

Blabla...

You won’t be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.

Blabla...

Good news taxalot, your glorious GTX 980 can chug along for another couple of years*.

*In 720p, low details, 20 fps

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is indeed a joy for me and for all of us who are not graphic whores and who enjoy games for the gameplay and stories. But I would not bet on this being a big factor, because they can drop this policy at any time and it only concerns Xbox Game Studios.

Nah, the reason I will keep my 980 this gen is called Lockhart.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are-the-future-of-gaming/

Blabla...

You won’t be forced into the next generation. We want every Xbox player to play all the new games from Xbox Game Studios. That’s why Xbox Game Studios titles we release in the next couple of years—like Halo Infinite—will be available and play great on Xbox Series X and Xbox One. We won’t force you to upgrade to Xbox Series X at launch to play Xbox exclusives.

Blabla...

Good news taxalot, your glorious GTX 980 can chug along for another couple of years*.

*In 720p, low details, 20 fps

But they discontinue the Xbox One X and only keep selling the One S.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
These morons are pricing gaming into extiction. More expensive hardware, whether console or PC, more expensive games.... And what for? I haven't seen anything yet that is clearly superior to the PS4 gen. The leap in graphics is tiny. Why pay all these shekels, in global depression and quarantine?

I think this gen is off to a very bad start. I am pretty sure it will sell somewhat well in USA and some rich Europe countries, since those cucks always have money to waste (until their economy collapses completely), but the numbers won't sustain proper next gen AAA gaming for many years, since those need to sell to a lot of people and i just don't see that happening until at least 2023-2024.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
These morons are pricing gaming into extiction. More expensive hardware, whether console or PC, more expensive games.... And what for? I haven't seen anything yet that is clearly superior to the PS4 gen. The leap in graphics is tiny. Why pay all these shekels, in global depression and quarantine?

I think this gen is off to a very bad start. I am pretty sure it will sell somewhat well in USA and some rich Europe countries, since those cucks always have money to waste (until their economy collapses completely), but the numbers won't sustain proper next gen AAA gaming for many years, since those need to sell to a lot of people and i just don't see that happening until at least 2023-2024.

People will get more into debt, they dont care as they have been formatted by consumerism to need the next best shiny thing. Why do you think 1000$+ smartphones continue to sell?

Venser

Erudite
Still can't believe Sony managed to put multiplayer behind a paywall and they were applauded for it just because Microsoft fucked up really bad that year. I have PS4 but I use it like every 4 months so it doesn't make sense for me to buy a subscription. But when I buy a new game that features both single player and multiplayer, I'm essentially paying full price for the half of the game. Fuck that.

cosmicray

Savant
And the main justification I heard was that you'd receive so much more for a PS+ subscription. Fuck that, I don't want "free" games just because I want to try a multiplayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom