Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian...what happened?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only thing i dislike about Bethesda games is the general dumbing down of rpg mechanics. That said the rest is solid and entertaining for what those games are.

How dare you enjoy games the Codex doesn't enjoy.

Fallout-NV-2020-07-18-17-01-13.jpg
inb4 I'm accused of playing Skyrim and Fallout 4.
Hah,don't care about what other people think is shit or is it not. I play what every i feel like it,and don't care about opinions.

I have played nearly all the B games,i enjoyed wasting time in most of them.....tho fallout 4 is painful lol. Tho it could bee seen as decent shooter.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most rpgs have generic mandatory combat,having a bunch of meta knowledge about fallout doesn't mean that people when played it for first time,weren't going around and killing shit lol.
Fallout doesn't require any metagaming to avoid most of the combat. The choice is up to you - you know, like in RPG genre, where player chooses various stuff. Mariposa and Cathedral in F1 require no combat whatsoever, you can skip all of it if you fancy. Navarro and Oil-Rig in F2 require you only to fight Frankie.

Bethpizda games, though, throw the countless mobs at you at every occasion, with little options but to fight. Even New Vegas, which uses the same crappy engine, has significantly less of obligatory combat and trash mobs while still being entertaining.
Stop worming around lol,as if there is not a bunch of combat encounters while travelling. And yes,it needs meta to know what you need to level up. It is not like people playing it for a first time will just spam int and char while pumping dialogue skills. Combat is one of the main parts of a RPG,nobody plays them to just run around and talk with people lol.

Harthwain

Magister
Combat is one of the main parts of a RPG,nobody plays them to just run around and talk with people lol.
I'd argue that in general people play RPGs (PnP ones) for their interactivity. Combat is part of that interactivity, but it does not have to be dominant or even present (only as a possibility, should everything else fail and you end up in a conflict that needs to be resolved with blood. Or if you really want to fight). The main issue is that it's easier to create a game oriented around combat than it is to create a game that is interactive. But there are a few examples of cRPGs where "running around and talking with people" is more interesting than fighting itself.

Torment is the prime example here. I was way more interested in exploring its unique universe than I was in fighting (it didn't help that combat in Torment was so badly done. And I say that as someone who enojoyed Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series). Arcanum and Fallout 2 are another two examples where I was more interested in "running around and talking with people" than killing everything that moves.

jackofshadows

Magister
I personalty played B games as open world thief simulator and enjoyed all the thief guild's quests :). Also Elder scroll games do have pretty good lore,tho i doubt you know it since you haven't played them,most likely. Also you are butthurt because your arguments are retarded and general lol. If you spend all your game time waving swords around and killing shit....well i have shocking news for you......the retarded one is you,not the game lol.
I'm nearly dead drunk right now so maybe is that but I took you as a person who plays a shitty games to... wonder what it is about and why it's shit not to ENJOY them lol. What a shame, mate.
images

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Combat is one of the main parts of a RPG,nobody plays them to just run around and talk with people lol.
I'd argue that in general people play RPGs (PnP ones) for their interactivity. Combat is part of that interactivity, but it does not have to be dominant or even present (only as a possibility, should everything else fail and you end up in a conflict that needs to be resolved with blood. Or if you really want to fight). The main issue is that it's easier to create a game oriented around combat than it is to create a game that is interactive. But there are a few examples of cRPGs where "running around and talking with people" is more interesting than fighting itself.

Torment is the prime example here. I was way more interested in exploring its unique universe than I was in fighting (it didn't help that combat in Torment was so badly done. And I say that as someone who enojoyed Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series). Arcanum and Fallout 2 are another two examples where I was more interested in "running around and talking with people" than killing everything that moves.
I agree,i meself am quite the storyfag :). A good story is the only new thing an RPG can offer me,after all the combat is the same in all of them. Still even in Torment the combat is good for refocusing the player,if the game was all about reading,people will loose concentration i half an hour and the game will become more of chore than good time. Intelligent people pretty much dislike repetition,thus a bit of spice is good for the game.There is a good reason why numanuma is that hated,it is really monotonous and boring game.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is a good reason why numanuma is that hated,it is really monotonous and boring game.
Numenera tried to be the next Torment, but the quality of writing wasn't there so it wasn't nearly as enjoyable.

Nu-Torment felt like it was developed by a bunch of fans who didn't really understand why the original was good. They looked at the writing and assumed quantity was better than quality and that pretentious flowery writing could compensate for the awful quality of the content.

That said, PST had quite a lot of purple prose, but the actual content was interesting so it didn't really detract.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is a good reason why numanuma is that hated,it is really monotonous and boring game.
Numenera tried to be the next Torment, but the quality of writing wasn't there so it wasn't nearly as enjoyable.

Nu-Torment felt like it was developed by a bunch of fans who didn't really understand why the original was good. They looked at the writing and assumed quantity was better than quality and that pretentious flowery writing could compensate for the awful quality of the content.

That said, PST had quite a lot of purple prose, but the actual content was interesting so it didn't really detract.
I agree,most people think that torment is filled with writing,but in reality nearly all of the dialogue is short and to the point. It felt like real people talking,nobody in real life talks in laws of text lol. Numanuma had boring flowery overdone writing,but also lacked anything in between to refresh people concentration. Thus it ends up as long boring manual.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck,Rico66 has disabled his comment section and i can't troll him with the powerliner "Fallout 3 is the best Fallout game :smug:"
:negative:

Oh well,back to drinking,cheers!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I agree,most people think that torment is filled with writing,but in reality nearly all of the dialogue is short and to the point.

Bitch, please. Take off those thick poindexter nostalgia googles. PS:T's dialogue is "torrential", as an authoritative blogger once said.

You know how Jarl goes on about trashmobs? Well, PS:T has trashTEXT.

It felt like real people talking

Yeah, PS:T's dialogue is so realistic... go and read Dostoevsky's novels if you want words to sound real.

Fucking storyfags!!!

sOebedh.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I agree,most people think that torment is filled with writing,but in reality nearly all of the dialogue is short and to the point.

Bitch, please. Take off those thick poindexter nostalgia googles. PS:T's dialogue is "torrential", as an authoritative blogger once said.

You know how Jarl goes on about trashmobs? Well, PS:T has trashTEXT.

It felt like real people talking,nobody in real life talks in laws of text lol.

Yeah, PS:T's dialogue is so realistic... go and read Dostoevsky's novels if you want words to sound real.

Oh my,spicy lilura,hot. I am pleasantly surprised that you had red Dostoevsky :obviously:.

As for trashmobs and trashtext....well that is your(and Jarl's) personal fetishes,couldn't care about any of them lol. Any game has both of those things,but bitching about them is a nit picking. Now numanuma is all trashtext and diablo is all about trash combat. If i cared about any of that shit,i would have ended up like you.....playing 5 games for like 20 years and hyping Diablo 2 20 years after release.

Fucking storyfags!!!
:smug:
As expected from a combatpleb being jealous about our natural superiority.

:martini:

PS:You can't behead me because i am rogue extraordinary. Steals Lilura's pantsu!

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To think that all those "legendary" developers get entangled in sexual affairs; personal drama; or just outright go retarded with politics... whilst good old Todd Howard just makes games, talks about games, and focuses on games (and memes) and ignores everything else. Say what you will about the man, but this is how a professional behaves.
ok todd

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All these arguments between storyfags and combatplebs, meanwhile I, the explorefag, am just sitting back and sipping my whisky.
So there are storyfags and combatplebs. You are an explorefag. I consider myself an atmospherefag. What other kind of fags are there? :)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All these arguments between storyfags and combatplebs, meanwhile I, the explorefag, am just sitting back and sipping my whisky.
So there are storyfags and combatplebs. You are an explorefag. I consider myself an atmospherefag. What other kind of fags are there? :)

The Klassik Kodex Klassification of fags is:

storyfags
combatfags
explorefags
immersionfags

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I've used lorefags a few times. There could also be stealthfags. Indeed, there are many fags on the Codex.

On my blog, I don't use the word "fag" because it's politically incorrect and rude. For combatfag, I use "combat connoisseur". And I don't have one for storyfag because I ignore their existence. :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
No, it's rude and I don't appropriate Codex terms. I prefer to invent my own, Liluran ones, which are much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom