Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That might make more sense if basic mechanics and the story were the sum of what makes a game. I'm pretty sure there are other things that influnce people though like the soundtrack, atmosphere, the setting, etc.

No one without brain damage would say those things are the same in both games dude, I'm not even sure what we're debating anymore. When I say Witcher 3 and AC: Origins are the same game, I am obviously not saying Witcher 3 is set in Egypt and stars a black dude avenging his dead son. How is it not incredibly implicit in my remarks that I'm referring to gameplay and general game structure/genre? The little poke I made with a smug emoji was at people who rant on here about "Ubishit" and "mainstream quest marker faggots" who then vote Witcher 3 the 15th best game of all time. Those people are storyfags to the max and massive hypocrites who I like to tease. Simple as that. You're reading too far into it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Please write more when you play further in, I'm curious

I think I've just about wrapped up the tutorial. The writing/narrative's still lousy but I've adjusted to the weird controls and am sort of liking the stealthy-predator gameplay now that I've had more time with it. The other posters itt weren't kidding about all the follow-your-not-Witcher-sense gameplay. It's also true there there isn't much role-playing. Once you talk to a NPC handing out a quest, you have to accept it no matter what; most dialogue options are for getting more exposition. Choosing to be mean, cocky, or nice happens occasionally but that's narrative reactivity; so far it seems unlikely there's any actual C&C (I've admittedly not paid much attention to H:ZD details).

Additionally, one of the writers has a fetish for Asian women urinating.
mkUxvXi.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Please write more when you play further in, I'm curious

I think I've just about wrapped up the tutorial. The writing/narrative's still lousy but I've adjusted to the weird controls and am sort of liking the stealthy-predator gameplay now that I've had more time with it. The other posters itt weren't kidding about all the follow-your-not-Witcher-sense gameplay. It's also true there there isn't much role-playing. Once you talk to a NPC handing out a quest, you have to accept it no matter what; most dialogue options are for getting more exposition. Choosing to be mean, cocky, or nice happens occasionally but that's narrative reactivity; so far it seems unlikely there's any actual C&C (I've admittedly not paid much attention to H:ZD details).

Additionally, one of the writers has a fetish for Asian women urinating.

Ahh what did you expect,all the console games are like a decade behind PC games. That said,why do you play the PS version when you could have waited for the PC one? Old PC?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I was thinking of playing a game right at release for once, but man this sounds exactly like AC: Origins, the game I'm finishing up now. Guess I should probably play some stuff between them or it'll feel monotonous.

Drowed

Arcane
Since one of my friends literally recommended this game to me saying that "it's like the new AC series games but with dinosaur robots," (what I believe was an attempt to praise the game), playing something else first sounds like a good idea.

Codex Year of the Donut
You didn't say gameplay in your original post. Seemed like you were comparing them in a more general way.

As far as following markers, etc, those are superficial comparisons at best considering how many games have those things in common.

I mainly just enjoy pointing out that while lots of Codexers shit all over Assassin's Creed Origins and games like this, The Witcher 3 is the 15th best RPG of all time according to our poll. If the argument is that Witcher 3 has better story and writing, then yes of course it does, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. Therefore Codex is either full of story fags (hmmm I wonder what our number one game is?) or they enjoy open world marker hunts as much as the Playstation bros do.

Either way, Horizon isn't something that should be dismissed on spec because "it's like Assassin's Creed."
Odyssey also stole the nemesis system from the mordor games which made the open world stuff more fun than twitcha.
Nothing in Odyssey comes close to Hearts of Stone/B&W though, I'm speaking strictly about the base game.

Also, Odyssey has this:
ac-odyssey-exploration-mode.jpg

Twitcha has this:
jbkmiHy.jpg

SQ-Sins-Witcher-Sense.png

I think HZD has batman vision too, btw. I hate that it has become a mainstay in gaming, fucking retard mode. Like someone sat down and thought "quest markers aren't enough for drooling retards, how can we cater to them just a bit more?"

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
That might make more sense if basic mechanics and the story were the sum of what makes a game. I'm pretty sure there are other things that influnce people though like the soundtrack, atmosphere, the setting, etc.

No one without brain damage would say those things are the same in both games dude, I'm not even sure what we're debating anymore. When I say Witcher 3 and AC: Origins are the same game, I am obviously not saying Witcher 3 is set in Egypt and stars a black dude avenging his dead son. How is it not incredibly implicit in my remarks that I'm referring to gameplay and general game structure/genre? The little poke I made with a smug emoji was at people who rant on here about "Ubishit" and "mainstream quest marker faggots" who then vote Witcher 3 the 15th best game of all time. Those people are storyfags to the max and massive hypocrites who I like to tease. Simple as that. You're reading too far into it.

Well let's see...

If you mean the last couple Assassin's Creeds then it's basically Witcher 3 and Codexers should love it. :smug:

I'm playing Origins right now. It's Witcher 3 without dialogue options. I hear Odyssey has dialog options, so... there ya go.

Yes, it's incredibly implicit that you were talking about gameplay only.

Here's an idea.. rather than saying one thing and then backpeddling later, how about in the future you just say what you meant to begin with?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
[Yes, it's incredibly implicit that you were talking about gameplay only.

Yes, it is. I really don't understand how you can say otherwise, but whatever... silly argument going nowhere. Codexers are just fine with the open world quest marker checklist genre when they like the presentation of it, that's the only point that matters in the end.

JDR13

Arcane
[Yes, it's incredibly implicit that you were talking about gameplay only.

Yes, it is. I really don't understand how you can say otherwise, but whatever... silly argument going nowhere. Codexers are just fine with the open world quest marker checklist genre when they like the presentation of it, that's the only point that matters in the end.

You don't understand why someone would think you meant what you said? That's cool bro. From now on, I'll just assume what you say can't be taken at face value without verifying it first.

As far as what Codexers are fine with, you didn't make any point just a blanket statement.

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, I don't expect much C&C from HDZ, but I'm fine with that. I'm mostly interested because I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic settings, and there hasn't been many open-world games with them lately. I'd much rather have Elex 2, but who knows what's going on with that?

Duraframe300

Arcane
so far it seems unlikely there's any actual C&C (I've admittedly not paid much attention to H:ZD details).

Don't get your hopes up too high, H:ZD is not designed, marketed or delivered as a RPG with C&C.

Ehhhhhh

There are technically choices in how to respond, they don't have any effect though and they are misleading because they seem to allow you to influence Aloy's personality, but she's a snarky bitch in any case and outside of them as well.

And there was some marketing for that IIRC.

Last edited:

Avarize

Magister
The difference between Witcher and AC is the same as between FO3 and New Vegas. You can create similar products of varying quality.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I like when Alloy rappels down she throws herself always assured the hook will anchor. If I would rappel such heights I'll double triple check the anchor point if safe.

ADL

Prophet
Is this actually a good game?
It's a very good Ubisoft-esque open world game circa 2017 before they transitioned to making Witcher 3-adjacent RPGs like Assassin's Creed Odyssey. If you liked AC:Origins or stuff like Wildlands and Watch Dogs, this is pretty much a better version of those kinds of games.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is this actually a good game?
It's a very good Ubisoft-esque open world game circa 2017 before they transitioned to making Witcher 3-adjacent RPGs like Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Except from what I've seen the combat is about 3 astronomical units better than the banal shit boring combat of AssCreed, both pre AND post 2017.
Yeah. The game is shit, but laying traps and shooting various body parts to deal more damage, disable certain attacks, and activate elemental effects is cool. Too bad the game isn't 100% focused on that and tries to waste your time with an uninspired story and boring stealth.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom