Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

nowanmai

Novice
RPS says this - "Horizon Zero Dawn one of the most compelling, beautiful open world adventures" - so, not an RPG, per se.
Gotta try this myself, but don't have high hopes, sadly.

Given that you're playing this, I'd recommend Assassin's Creed Odyssey if you haven't already. It's designed without the mandatory compass. I'm really hoping they keep exploration mode for Valhalla because I loved this mode.
ac-odyssey-exploration-mode.jpg
Nonsense, it's not designed without the quest compass. The only difference that "exploration mode" brings is that instead of a quest's destination map marker being automatically added to your map/minimap/3d waypoint you instead have to manually add that map marker yourself by picking its corresponding question mark on your map according to the braindead hints you're given (and even if you pick the wrong one your eagle/map checker will mark it for you once you're close enough).

htCoQ77.png

You'll be navigating the gameworld through your minimap GPS/3D waypoint towards your map marker exactly the same as before, because that's what the game's navigation is designed around and it's all it supports. There is no exploration required or any sense of having to follow directions to get to a destination involved. It's meaningless.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Given that you're playing this, I'd recommend Assassin's Creed Odyssey if you haven't already. It's designed without the mandatory compass. I'm really hoping they keep exploration mode for Valhalla because I loved this mode.

Does Odyssey's HUD off mode keep interaction icons? I am playing Origins now and wanted the HUD off, but it removes interaction icons (open, pick up, etc.) and that made it almost impossible to play because of the hidden shit you have to find. Ended up putting the HUD on "minimal" which keeps the quest arrows because developers are fucking stupid.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I like the game so far. It's like nu-Tomb Raider, with a dash of Monster Hunter thrown in. If anyone's getting stuttering, use Riva Tuner to limit the frame rate. I was and it fixed it for me.

ADL

Prophet
Does Odyssey's HUD off mode keep interaction icons? I am playing Origins now and wanted the HUD off, but it removes interaction icons (open, pick up, etc.) and that made it almost impossible to play because of the hidden shit you have to find. Ended up putting the HUD on "minimal" which keeps the quest arrows because developers are fucking stupid.
It's been a really long time since I played it but I'm pretty sure interaction prompts are a separate setting. I don't remember seeing them since I disabled pretty much every UI/HUD element on screen.
Nonsense, it's not designed without the quest compass. The only difference that "exploration mode" brings is that instead of a quest's destination map marker being automatically added to your map/minimap/3d waypoint you instead have to manually add that map marker yourself by picking its corresponding question mark on your map according to the braindead hints you're given (and even if you pick the wrong one your eagle/map checker will mark it for you once you're close enough).

htCoQ77.png

You'll be navigating the gameworld through your minimap GPS/3D waypoint towards your map marker exactly the same as before, because that's what the game's navigation is designed around and it's all it supports. There is no exploration required or any sense of having to follow directions to get to a destination involved. It's meaningless.
The quest giver dialog gives you pretty solid directions example being something like "you'll find X in the highest peak of the ruins in the valley of Ithaca near the shoreline" and there's a lot of exploration involved in that. In any other shitty AAA game you'd be lucky to get that in some dialog box in your quest tracker on the upper right hand side of the screen but in Odyssey it's all done in the voice acting meaning thousands of lines of dialog, pretty impressive for an optional exploration mode. They're not lying when they say the game was intended to be played like that.

Also you can disable the question marks on the map using a filter to get rid of undiscovered locations and I never had to use eagle vision to locate anything because the directions NPCs gave you are pretty good.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I like the game so far. It's like nu-Tomb Raider, with a dash of Monster Hunter thrown in. If anyone's getting stuttering, use Riva Tuner to limit the frame rate. I was and it fixed it for me.
You can limit frames in game.

You should always use RivaTuner to limit fps instead of the in-game limiter, you get better frame pacing most of the time.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game may well turn out good, but the tutorial is possibly one of the most obnoxious I've ever played. Playing as a 6 year old with a face that would give a mother nightmares was bad enough, but then in the stealth section to be followed around by a complete halfwit saying "How is this possible?" and "How are you doing this?" in an awestruck voice while I conduct master stealth exercises like 'walking behind a robot' was just cringe x10000. They followed this up with the classic training montage from Team America and I was sat there with my head in my hands hoping the rest of the game shows more imagination than this.

Not judging it based on the first 20 minutes or so, but it's got off to a bad start.

Jensen

Novice
Start is bad indeed. Playing as a kid is tedious and painful. First area is boring and game gets better after Day Tower, when you get to that big desert. Meridian and main quest you continue from that city gets interesting.

Fighting enemies with your bows, slings and tripcaster is fun, especially against thunderjaws, rockbreakers, fireclaws and frostclaws. Also it gets intense with Ultra Hard mode, where enemies attack you all at once, not one at a time like on Very Hard or lower difficulties.

The Frozen Wilds is also good if you decide to continue playing Horizon.

Also, this topic IMHO should be in general gaming, because it's not cRPG game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fighting enemies with your bows, slings and tripcaster is fun, especially against thunderjaws, rockbreakers, fireclaws and frostclaws.

There's this early-middle part tho where you're already up against sawtooths and the firebreathers but your gear is still pitifully weak and very limited. So on Very Hard, because normal arrows do so little damage, it devolves to jumping around and frantically laying the shock traps, hoping to score a crit or two.

Btw Ultra seems tuned for NG+, I wouldn't recommend it on the virgin run.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You should always use RivaTuner to limit fps instead of the in-game limiter, you get better frame pacing most of the time.

Riva Tuner is essential software when you have a 144hz monitor. You always need to limit things, even when they run at 144fps because of g-sync, and it does it with zero problems unlike a lot of in-game limiters, as you say. The number of times a tech review has talked about frame pacing issues with in-game limiters is astonishing. No wonder consoles have issues.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i couldn't imagine gaming on PC without rivatuner. It's useful for low-end, mid-range and for high-end setups.

On the low-end it's useful because it gives better ways to achieve a perfect 30fps lock through half-refresh scanline-syncing, which works with almost every game unlike NVIDIA's half-refresh v-sync.

Yosharian

Arcane

Riva Tuner is essential software when you have a 144hz monitor. You always need to limit things, even when they run at 144fps because of g-sync, and it does it with zero problems unlike a lot of in-game limiters, as you say. The number of times a tech review has talked about frame pacing issues with in-game limiters is astonishing. No wonder consoles have issues.
A wild NVIDIA driver-level frame limiter appears

Jrpgfan

Erudite

It's still inferior to RTSS when it comes to frametime stability and RTSS is more convenient as you can change framerate on the go without restarting the game.

Yosharian

Arcane

It's still inferior to RTSS when it comes to frametime stability and RTSS is more convenient as you can change framerate on the go without restarting the game.
yes its inferior, but not by a significant margin, and its much easier to use than RTSS which also sometimes interferes with games (or more accurately, games conflict with it).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is Riva Tuner an in-house software that gets installed with the drivers if you buy Nvidia? Like Adrenaline with AMD? Or is it third party and does it work for AMD?

Coz I'm trying to limit the frames with Adrenaline and even then the game has a very strange feel. Kindda...jerky. Anti-smooth. Even though my average FPS is 53.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1151640/view/2753341279118859814

Quick Update regarding Player Reports

Thank you for supporting us yesterday as we launched Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition on PC! We have been enjoying a whole new wave of screenshots with the in-game Photo Mode, live streams and videos from content creators, and seeing so many new players start their journey with Aloy.

We have been monitoring all of our channels and are aware that some players have been experiencing crashes and other technical issues. Please know that we are investigating your reports as our highest priority.

We appreciate those who have already taken the time to report their issues on Steam, Reddit, or via our website. If you are still encountering crashes or bugs, please continue to use those spaces, or refer to our FAQ if you are unsure of how to proceed. Your reports are, and have already been, incredibly helpful for our teams.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to investigate issues; we will update you all as soon as we have more news.

–Guerrilla

sullynathan

Arcane
Is Riva Tuner an in-house software that gets installed with the drivers if you buy Nvidia? Like Adrenaline with AMD? Or is it third party and does it work for AMD?

Coz I'm trying to limit the frames with Adrenaline and even then the game has a very strange feel. Kindda...jerky. Anti-smooth. Even though my average FPS is 53.
This party software, works on AMD.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

yes its inferior, but not by a significant margin, and its much easier to use than RTSS which also sometimes interferes with games (or more accurately, games conflict with it).

What's so difficult about it? You literally just have to type the number you want to set it to. Also, like I said, you can pretty much do that on the go and you can even assign shortcuts for that. There's no reason not to use it at all.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This party software, works on AMD.
Tried to download. Last build is from 2009.

A notice:

Rivatuner is now outdated and discontinued, only older legacy cards work with this software. It has been replaced by our project AfterBurner. Please download AfterBurner. It has all the better features and more.

Wtf.

It's integrated into MSI afterburner but you can download the standalone here(latest build is from 7/16/20): https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Easier to use? Riva Tuner launches with Windows, sits in your system tray, and all you need to do is click it and type a new FPS value, then minimize it.

Cat Dude

Savant
If a simple game like Horizon Zero Dawn is called rpg here then it should have been no problem to categorize Trails of Cold Steel 3 as a rpg.

H2x1_NSwitch_TheLegendOfHeroesTrailsOfColdSteelIII_image1600w.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom