Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

Lagi

Savant
1. aethra chronicles
aethra-1.png
the-aethra-chronicles-volume-one-celystras-bane_18.png

this game is shit (without "the"), but still i love it

2. Zorbus
roguelike, that its fun to play

3. Darkest Dungeon
this game has best vibe. Its killed by RNG and grinding however.

4. Yendorian tales
Yendorian_Tales_Book_I_-_Chapter_2-3-300x187.jpg
Yendorian_Tales_-_The_Tyrants_of_Thaine-4.jpg

its simple trash game, that doesnt have a start to Might and Magic. Thats why i complete it twice. Gamegazsm when you upgrade your items from +2 to +3

5.Swords of Exile
X0Iuec5.png
one guy dare to make remake of Exile 3 (its not Vogel). Author decide to trash this project and become a lumberjack, game is forever gone from internet

6.Weimer's IWD2 mod -Armor and Shields Provide Damage Resistance
I hate dnd armor behavior (and HP bloat).

7. FTL
it is rpg, ok?
you are role playing whole ducking space ship, you can customize it and increase his stats.

8. Serpent in the staglands
  • have the best title name ever
  • have awesome music in menu
  • have great manual with interesting concept, I enjoyed reading it in work
  • have great UI art style
so install it listen to music make a character and uninstall this. Unless you like killing every fox in every forest you sick murder hobo.

9. I would like to write Geneforge 5, but i always get sleepy from reading this wall of texts, and when I reload next month i lost the plot.

Cat Dude

Savant
1. Trails of Cold Steel 3
2. Trails from Azure
3. Trails In The Sky 2nd
4. Trails of Cold Steel 2
5. Trails From Zero
6. Trails In The Sky
7. Trails of Cold Steel
8. Trails in The Sky 3rd
9. Legend of Heroes 2
10. Planescape Torment

Radiane

Cipher
1. Wizardry 7
2. Lands of Lore 1
3. Realms of Arkania Blade of Destiny (original one)
4. Avernum 2 (the 2000 version)
5. Wizardry 6
6. Icewind Dale 1/2
7. Wizards & Warriors
8. Planescape: Torment
9. Fallout 1
10. Champions of Krynn

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Mine are as follows:

1. Jagged Alliance 2
2. Fallout
3. Deus Ex
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Fallout 2
6. MotB
7. Arcanum
8. IWD/IWD2
9. ToEE
10. Silent Storm

You don't have to rank them in order. Just list what you think are the best 10. If 10 is too much work, list 5. If you must list 11 or 12, do so.

Those who post ITT but don't list their top RPGs are spineless cowards.

This is a friendly thread in which everyone can freely list what they think are the best RPGs. Don't be shy.

You forgot to mention your blog in this post.

Thunar

Educated
1. Ultima 7
2. Age of Decadence
3. Grimoire
4. Ultima Underworld
5. Dark Sun Shattered Lands
6. Dwarf Fortess
7. Deus Ex
8. Knights of The Chalice
9. Arcanum
10. Le Planescape du Torment sur son lit de Storifag

Gargaune

Magister
Not necessarily in order, except for the first one:

1. Deus Ex
2. Baldur's Gate 2
3. Icewind Dale 2
4. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
5. The Witcher 3 (yep, suck my dick)
6. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
7. NWN EE: Tyrants of the Moonsea
8. KotOR 2: The Sith Lords
9. Baldur's Gate
Fallout 4
No, I'm just fucking with you. It's actually Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
See my The Witcher 3 sidenote.

I feel guilty over not giving the likes IWD, Gothic and PST their proper dues, and I'm sure I've forgotten other shit, but I just got home drunk and can't be arsed to treat this seriously. I again refer you to my The Witcher 3 sidenote.

Generic-Giant-Spider

1. Darklands - The RPG that pulled me in to a world of gaming I'd grow to resent. Having legends/myths of the time come to life and mix with historical happenings is something I really really wish more games attempted. I don't mean to step on any heels here but if you don't like Darklands you're probably a fag.

2. Baldur's Gate - At the time of release my mom offered to buy me a Nintendo 64 and any N64 game of my choosing but I told her I didn't want that console and instead wanted this game. Concerned her son was retarded, she obliged and proceeded to have me tested for learning disabilities pronto.

3. Icewind Dale - Every bit as good as BG1 but I always liked the atmosphere a bit more and creating your own party made the game feel more tabletop.

4. Eye of the Beholder II: Legend of Darkmoon - My first blobber love. One of my fondest memories is being so sick with a debilitating flu during winter and spending an entire week with my brother beating this fucking thing, converting notebooks for school into extremely roughly laid out maps. FUCK the Silver Tower.

5. Temple of Elemental Evil - I actually played this game in recent years so I don't have any nostalgia associated here but the combat was stellar and makes me wish I could transplant it into many other games. Arguably the best implementation of tabletop rules.

6. Fallout - Generally, I like medieval/fantasy games but Fallout 1 is definitely one any self-respecting RPG fan needs to play at least once just to experience it because what an experience it is. I liked this more than any other FO that came after since it struck its mood perfectly. I didn't like how overly zany/whacky later entries would be.

7. Neverwinter Nights - At first I thought this game was strictly okay since the built-in scenario was fairly forgettable but there is one thing NWN has in spades and that is replay value. High quality replay value at that. The fan made campaigns released over the years have really made this game ascend and become a gift that kept giving. Hordes of the Underdark was also a really quality expansion pack.

8. Diablo - Mood and atmosphere, baby. No game in the "Diabloclone" sub genre nails what Diablo achieved in its first outing. Even the lauded Diablo II pales in comparison to the sinister environments and dread the original hit on and I'll even say it but every fucking clone ever trying to replicate D2 has made this whole sub genre squander and grow beyond stale. Diablo 1 was the game that should have notes taken of it.

9. Ultima VII: The Black Gate - The one Ultima game I can go back to and play on a whim, this to me was the apex of the series.

10. Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar - No memery or any bullshit like that, Grimoire is a seriously great game that delivers some of the finest blobbing I can remember. It's not even about that, but it's how much personality is fit into the game and that it actually looks like it is from the era it's a massive love letter to. Seeing how all these current era wannabe retro games try to invoke that same nostalgic response and fail miserably, Grimoire is a titan of an example on how to do it right.

Honorable mentions (aka, SORRY KID YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH): Baldur's Gate II, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Neverwinter Nights 2, Planescape Torment, Pool of Radiance, Pools of Darkness, Shadowrun (Genesis), Warriors of the Eternal Sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

vazha

Arcane
4 pages and not a single soul has mentioned Prelude to Darkness? Good Lord, the lows this forum has sunk to.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I feel like we do this every other week, but hey lists are fun

Planescape Torment
Fallout
Deus Ex
Pools of Darkness
Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Wizardry: Dark Savant trilogy
Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol
Ultima 6
Arcanum
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. Deus Ex
1. Morrowind
1. Fallout

4. Arcanum
5. Fallout 2
6. Fallout New Vegas
7. System Shock 2
8. Gothic 2
9. Bloodlines
10. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I have a massive hard-on for first-person immersive sim style RPGs, so if you took those out of the RPG running the list would include more standard stuff like BG2, Planescape and maybe Lands of Lore (for nostalgia reasons).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1. Skyrim
.2 Fallout 7
3. Fallout 39
. Pillars of Erteri
6. Atton Rand
7. Cancerous Boredom
8. Man, dat lore
9. Mostly Cancelled Avellone
10. :prosper:

Casual Hero

Augur
Also, there sure is a lot of people just dropping lists without much explanation. What is this thread for again?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Not just Codex. Only those who share my views are allowed to comment on my blog. Everyone else is considered a troll, and gets their comment deleted from moderation queue. :obviously:

From the absolute dogshit I'm seeing in these top 10s most of these retards shouldn't be allowed to post here either.

Here's mine:

1. Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds Of The Mad Overlord
2. Elminage: Gothic
3. Wizardry Empire 2: Legacy Of The Princess
4. Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb Of The Demon's Heart
5. Romancing SaGa 2
6. Knights Of The Chalice 1
7. Earthbound
8. Dragon Quest 7: Fragments Of The Forgotten Past
9. Fallout: New Vegas
10. Xenogears

Runner-ups:

- Fallout 1: A Post-Nuclear Role-Playing Game
- Greyhawk: Temple Of Elemental Evil (ToEE)
- Wizardry 4: The Return Of Werdna
- Wizardry 5: Heart Of The Maelstrom
- Elminage: Original
- The Dark Spire
- Final Fantasy 6
- Paper Sorcerer

- Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Also, there sure is a lot of people just dropping lists without much explanation. What is this thread for again?

Is for you to dump a top ten list. If Lilura didn't put her blog as citation material then you know that there's not a reason to put so much explanation.

A top 10 RPG list? I've never seen this before.

Yeah, it's pretty much overdone, it's like when you meet with your old friends again just to remember the same shitty stories over and over again because you don't hang out anymore to make new ones. :M

- Wizardry 4: The Return Of Werdna

Oh, so you finally played it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom