Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Admittedly, I am also looking at the choice through the prism of the problem we have.

I don't know what to make of Elizabeth's illness. She doesn't seem to be getting better, even though she stopped getting worse. I don't know if the ministrations she receives from the doctors will help her any. I assumed that it would eventually fall to us to find an antidote or a cure for whatever is ailing her.

A famous institute sounds like a place where one can happen on a half-forgotten dissertation on the subject, or meet some unorthodox types with certain connections, some of them possibly less legal than others. I will also admit to some curiousity about the political aspect of the setting, particularly in the Tower itself, and universities are where you find a broad spectrum of opinions and leanings.

A trade guild may let us meet someone well-travelled who may have heard something relevant to the illness.

A scientific center may put us in touch with someone who would be able to help us develop our "sorcerous" abilities, and we have Uridimmu's word that a disease can be "hunted" with his power, whatever that means. We have chosed an Astra of protection, and I wonder if it can be made to broaden its effects.

...I have no idea about Art gallery, though.

I am not saying that this choice should be taken as "this is how we help Liz", but I like to entertain the possibilities.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I don't know what to make of Elizabeth's illness. She doesn't seem to be getting better, even though she stopped getting worse. I don't know if the ministrations she receives from the doctors will help her any. I assumed that it would eventually fall to us to find an antidote or a cure for whatever is ailing her.
Maybe it’s our doggie, we should see if with us away she gets better.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think it's the drugs spiritual journey we all participated in. Maybe the spirit that Uridimmu smelled in Sophie's dream was also present in Elizabeth's and managed to mess with her. It is a mystery.

Nevill

Arcane
Don't think so. She stopped getting worse despite us living under the same roof as opposed to when we were in Scotsfield. And no matter the job we choose we will still be living in their house since we are underage.

But I agree that this is the point when one has to go out and experiment, because nothing will change for the better if we won't.
Maybe the spirit that Uridimmu smelled in Sophie's dream was also present in Elizabeth's and managed to mess with her. It is a mystery.
Maybe the spirit is why Sophie didn't contract... whatever that was.

We had Uri (we need a nickname, Uridimmu is a mouthful), Sophie had Shade, but Liz had no one.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I think it's the drugs spiritual journey we all participated in. Maybe the spirit that Uridimmu smelled in Sophie's dream was also present in Elizabeth's and managed to mess with her. It is a mystery.
Maybe she was the only one unprotected, we had Rain’s astra, Sophie had her guardian angel, for lack of a better term.
I was also thinking about belief, Liz is quite enamored with Vampires, it’s possible that this is a Carmilla scenario, some entity is draining her life force while possessing her or maybe she entered a contract with some vampire entity and what she needs is blood.
Maybe the reason why she is basically kicking us out is because we are a hindrance preventing her of going out hunting.
Maybe this is what the doggie meant by hunting the disease, devouring the entity possessing Liz, regardless if it’s a willing partnership.
treave can we check if there are rumors of someone that got assaulted by a vampire or the like?

Baltika9

Arcane
I was also thinking about belief, Liz is quite enamored with Vampires, it’s possible that this is a Carmilla scenario, some entity is draining her life force while possessing her or maybe she entered a contract with some vampire entity and what she needs is blood.
:hmmm:
I think you're right:
“Act more like a woman, Elizabeth Bathory! Please, show some decency!” lectures Sophie. “What would Andrew think if he saw you acting like this?”

“It’s Bayther! My surname is Bayther, not Bathory! Our family has nothing to do at all with the Blood Countess! How many times do I have to repeat that, Sophie McClellan?” Elizabeth protests. “Besides, we are just children, are we not? We can be friendly in a way adults cannot!”
The foreshadowing was there all along. Our childhood friend is a vampire lol.

BTW, any way you can be swayed to support A and Revolutionary Comrade Bull? The only thing better than a vampire is a communist vampire, after all. Seize the means of blood production!
:lol:

Kz3r0

Arcane
All right, flopping to
A

Mostly because as others pointed out being a rat lab doesn’t bode well.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We don't need to be a Commie to get plenty of use out of getting involved with the Marx institute
A scientific center may put us in touch with someone who would be able to help us develop our "sorcerous" abilities, and we have Uridimmu's word that a disease can be "hunted" with his power, whatever that means. We have chosed an Astra of protection, and I wonder if it can be made to broaden its effects.
This is my issue with A. If we want to go the Astra route, we should've just taken up Uridummu's offer. Why are we going to avoid using him and our Astra because we're afraid of the consequences, and then just throw ourselves headfirst into those very same consequences by having people experiment with our incredibly powerful Astra which is connected to an imprisoned demon.

Narrative wise, it's the most fun too! Let's not forget about how awesome Alexei and Rasputin were, and their quest to climb up to the top of the tower! I know it was long ago, but getting involved with the politics of the tower will only allow us to further pursue this story line, versus whatever inter dimensional stuff will come with us fucking around with Astras.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Narrative wise, it's the most fun too! Let's not forget about how awesome Alexei and Rasputin were, and their quest to climb up to the top of the tower!
That’s escalated quickly, from errand boy to conqueror of the tower.

Nevill

Arcane
Why are we going to avoid using him and our Astra because we're afraid of the consequences, and then just throw ourselves headfirst into those very same consequences by having people experiment with our incredibly powerful Astra which is connected to an imprisoned demon.
1) The demon and the Astra are not related, at least not to our knowledge. We used the latter to ward off the former, and that's the extent of the connection.
2) I want to learn how to use the demon fragment and stop it from being a bother (and a stat drain). I don't want to sign an open-ended deal with the demon on uncertain terms. I want to consult an independent source of information on this before we agree to anything. Obviously, this means that I should be seeking out such sources.

I have nothing to say about how fun it could be narratively. It heavily depends on what we stand to lose and gain in the process.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
now that i think (TM) about it, communism is to astrology as firearms are to slings: we've had a shot at revolutionary gunslinging and blew it off

having chosen slings and arrows of time as our weapon of choice (sitting by the river until alchemically bloated corpses of our enemies float by), it's only logical that we need to know when Jupiter is in conjunction with Mars, as not to waste too much time navel-fish-watching

Baltika9

Arcane
now that i think (TM) about it, communism is to astrology as firearms are to slings: we've had a shot at revolutionary gunslinging and blew it off
When? This is the first time we are offered a path to the political side of the setting as Wrinkly. If you're talking about character creation, on the other hand, then I am afraid that the Ambassador was more than likely the counter-revolutionary option in the mold of Metternich.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
When? This is the first time we are offered a path to the political side of the setting as Wrinkly. If you're talking about character creation, on the other hand, then I am afraid that the Ambassador was more than likely the counter-revolutionary option in the mold of Metternich.
grandma hand-me-down weapon choice: revolver, or sling? and now, having chosen the springless leather, we must endure eternal autumn weather

Baltika9

Arcane
grandma hand-me-down weapon choice: revolver, or sling? and now, having chosen the springless leather, we must endure eternal autumn weather

So you're saying that becoming a clinical test subject is the in-character option for our dude? I dunno man, seems kind of a stretch. Besides, I don't see how firearms and slings relate to our situation.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
As for self-respect, I dunno man, B sounds like the in-universe equivalent of participating in those private pharma lab tests for quick cash. Doesn't sound very dignified to me.
It can also sound like something more inclined, such as Dr Jekyll trying strange cocktails on the frontier of science or Dr Frankenstein playing fearlessly with half known forces. Just a question of framing.

There's also the fact that our stat distribution is perfect for the choice, a person of lesser constitution might not be able to handle the strain of the experiments, while we might just become the supersoldier of the future!

Baltika9

Arcane
There's also the fact that our stat distribution is perfect for the choice, a person of lesser constitution might not be able to handle the strain of the experiments, while we might just become the supersoldier of the future!
True, but also our capacity to withstand these experiments doesn't mean we must undertake them. I'm growing fond of the bookish hunter we've been developing so far, and I want to continue on that path. Marxism or no.
It can also sound like something more inclined, such as Dr Jekyll trying strange cocktails on the frontier of science or Dr Frankenstein playing fearlessly with half known forces. Just a question of framing.
Framing or perspective, yeah. I get where the B crowd is coming from, but I think that B is a little imprudent as well as not as interesting when compared to A, or, say, D and E. I think CappenVarra is right, Liz really is a vampire.

Getting into a Jekyll and Hyde situation could be fun, but only a Red gentleman will be able to sate Elizabeth's, ah, appetites in the future.

Join me, Comrades, for a better future!
:incline:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===

A - 9
B - 7 (8)
C - 0
D - 1 (0)
E - 3

Baltika9 - A>!B
Nevill - A
ChumBucket - A
Kz3r0 - A
ItsChon - A
Tigranes - A
baud - A
Orbit - A
asxetos - A

hello friend - B
Kalarion - B
Kipeci - B>A
Lambchop19 - B>E
Azira - B
CappenVarra - B
Life of the Party - B

Grimgravy - D>E>B

ERYFKRAD - E
oscar - E
Moist Cloister - E

===

Comrades, rally to our cause! Vote A! You can blame me for all the negative consequences.

+M

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Fuck it all. Choose B, and blame me if shit hits the fan.
Oh, come on, Azira. You've been the Dex's scapegoat since EPIC. Time to let someone else carry the torch. Namely, me.

Flop to A and let me take the fall, bros, just this once. Pretty please?

Yeah, I know I'm being a little baby about it, but I was really looking forward to getting involved in the setting's politics. Especially the communist/anarchist side of it. Hey, I never denied having an agenda.
:P

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We need more choices where laxatives are an option.
:hmmm:

Maybe we can slip some laxatives in Joe and Ilyich's tea, when we meet them in exile. Or Liebknecht and Luxemburg's.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'd like an astra where we can induce diarrhea from a distance. A "laxatives added" button for shits and giggles.
If there are astras out there that can mess with peoples perceptions, I'm sure that there are astras that can mess with peoples stomachs/"brain in the gut" neurochemistry. :smug:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm sure that there are astras that can mess with peoples stomachs/"brain in the gut" neurochemistry.
Don't necessarily need something that specialized. An astra that allows us to create water (by whatever means) wherever we want should allow us to get the, ah, desired results. Enemas aren't the same as laxatives, but it the results will be interesting all the same.

:smug:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom