Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, things just keep piling up now that the pandemic is winding down in places and work is trying to catch up. Doesn't help that I'm trying to figure out the best place to position you guys for good choices rather than throw out something inconsequential to tide us by for now. I'm still working on it though.

Uh, this Thursday?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

No problem for me. So long as it doesn’t get abandoned, I think is the important thing. Don’t worry about it.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only path to rememption is to give us more Rain scenes. :M

Or Liz scenes. Hell, Uridimmu is fine too.

...I'll even take Alexei. :negative:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Vienna Blues (I)

In the Tower, the city of New Vienna is not the largest in size or population, nor is it the oldest, nor is it the richest, nor is it the most advanced. But when people think of culture in the Tower, of art and music, and of politics, New Vienna is second only to the olden city of Espanola. Both are centers of thought in the Tower; where the spires of Espanola are known for hosting thinkers of the Old World, the domes of New Vienna house the new-fangled ideas that have exploded onto the scene since the 19th century.

Much like its namesake in old Europe proper, New Vienna has had a long history as a cultural center. This is where maestros of music gathered, where the artists and scholars were oft one and the same. This is the city where the Congress which brought about a new order in the Tower was convened, where the various Orders have their offices, competing and bickering for influence. This is also the home of various academic and philosophical Societies, each and every one of them with their own fields of study, own expertises, and goals hushed in secrecy.

It is in such a city where you find yourself, five months after leaving Scotsfield, four months since you arrived in New Vienna along with the Baythers, who had temporarily taken up your offer to work as household help so that they could devote their time to taking care of Elizabeth. The Baythers were merchants, but they were not that rich that they would balk at saving some money by having you instead of a city maid. Ralph and Elaine Bayther had already sacrificed a good part of their wealth in moving to New Vienna and engaging the best physicians they could afford.

You knock on the door to Elizabeth's room, a bowl of liver soup in one hand and an envelope in the other. You wait for a while until you hear her weak, frail "Come in," before you open the door. Elizabeth has continued being bedridden for the past two months - whatever treatment the physicians were giving her, it does not seem like the effects will be seen that quickly. Elizabeth looks up as you enter, a wan, thin smile on her lips. Her condition hasn't improved any. You silently hand her the envelope, placing the bowl of soup on the nightstand.

"Another letter from Sophie?" she asks.

You nod. Sophie has been corresponding with Elizabeth every month or so. Before you left, she had told you that she would let Tlalli know where you were should the old Hunter ever pass by Scotsfield again.

While Elizabeth reads the letter, you busy yourself making sure her room is clean. You have had little time to yourself ever since you arrived in the city, being busy with both taking care of Rain and handling the housework for the Baythers. Your housework ability is probably at the highest it has ever been, but you are not sure if it is something you should be proud of.

"By the way, have you decided?"

"Yes?"

"About what Daddy said." Elizabeth sets the letter down and frowns at you. "You can't waste your time away in this place."

Ralph had offered you some time off to pursue your own studies. In his own words, "Young people should be striving for something more", and though he and his wife were grateful for the help, they were now looking at other options so that your workload was reduced. Speaking to some people he knew, Ralph had suggested several institutes of learning that you could work at during the day, and hopefully learn a thing or two.

"I haven't decided yet," you say, and that is the truth.

"Well, you should decide soon," sighs Elizabeth, flopping back onto the bed and staring at the ceiling lifelessly. "If you just stay here until I die I'll get really mad and haunt you for the rest of our life, you know."

"There's still Rain to think of."

"My mother can help look after her in the daytime now that she can work as a clerk from home. Besides, weren't there some places that would let you bring her in, as long as she behaved?"

You recall Ralph's list of places, thinking carefully.

There was the Institute of Karl Marx, founded after some philosopher who was apparently rather influential in politics and economics. They were looking for someone to catalogue and organize writings of their fellows, and were willing to hire anyone cheap enough. This institute was one of those which would allow you to bring a child to work.

Another was the Center for Astral Study, a gathering of astrologians and other astral researchers. They were looking for a test subject for some project or another to do with the nature of astral affinity.

There was also the New Vienna Center for Art and the Viennese Trade Guild, both of which did not allow children. Those places were looking for janitorial labour, someone to clean and tidy up the place.

You have decided to work at:

A. The Institute of Karl Marx

B. The Center for Astral Study

C. The New Vienna Center for Art

D. The Viennese Trade Guild

E. None of these places; you will continue as you have so far

Nevill

Arcane
...aaaand we are the servant boy. Liz is living Sophie's dream!
:salute:

How can I not? Farewell, Comrade Tzar, it's time to give way to Tzar-Comrade! Down with Uncle Alexei, now we'll get to choose the people to screw us over!
The True Comrade Bull is probably waiting for his Bro on that path, somewhere.

But the temptation of making ourselves a lab rat for affinity research is just too strong.

B. The Center for Astral Study

The Amulet we wear is the Astral Amulet of Akasha. And I don't think it's called that just because it is an Astra.

Elizabeth has continued being bedridden for the past two months - whatever treatment the physicians were giving her, it does not seem like the effects will be seen that quickly.
They are treating her, but from what? Have we ever wondered that?

Hunter/scholar. Codex, please.
This institute was one of those which would allow you to bring a child to work.
Elven baby Stalin intensifies.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
But the temptation of making ourselves a lab rat for affinity research is just too strong.
I just don't like the sound of this, tbh. The consequences of being a lab rat could be dire for Wrinkly alone. And what if they take an 'interest' in Rain?

Yeah, I have an agenda, but this concern is genuine.

Tigranes

Arcane
"Here, listen, your task is to catalogue all of Karl's alternative equations."
"Equations?"
"Yes. He left several rooms full of half-finished documents, all of which seem to eventually devolve into variations of M->C->M'->C'->M"->C"-> and..."

Nevill

Arcane
I just don't like the sound of this, tbh. The consequences of being a lab rat could be dire for Wrinkly alone.
I want it.

Right now we are a village boy tagging along the family of merchants. Dire consequences are our ticket to glory.
It could be a one-way ticket, but hey! A candle that burns twice as bright...

We had a fated encounted that gave us Rain and the Astral amulet connected to her; I want to explore it, especially since we couldn't raise our affinity with it by ourselves.

No one said our fate will be a pleasant one, but it is bound to be interesting.

And if someone finds traces of demon taint in our body (or soul?) we may finally be able to start working on taming the doge and fixing our leg.

Baltika9

Arcane
Hunter/scholar. Codex, please.
This institute was one of those which would allow you to bring a child to work.
Elven baby Stalin intensifies.
No need to go the Red Son route.
37781d729bbb56293c55303a8676157d.png

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
nuke2.png

GDI I TOLD yall we needed to go hunting! Now Elizabeth's just as bad off and we're in some famous city or other and God knows how long til gramma Tlalli gets here! Nobody ever listens to me, and look where it's gotten us!

B. The Center for Astral Study.

We have a chance of setting off an unpredictable chain of events with Rain's Astra, and Rain even gets to be there for it. I'm in!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom