Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I, ah, actually had that thought? Not quite phrased that way, but I considered the possibility of the Thing in Sophie's head being possibly responsible for the illness/curse. It is possible that Sophie doesn't control it, or that it has a mind and desires of its own. The Hound would know for sure... but I have a feeling that he would tell us free of charge if it were so.

And given that Sophie was aware of our intrusion, I found it unlikely there was no communication between her and the entity, so ultimately I dismissed the idea.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hey treave, why don't we talk to Rain about Uridimmu and his offer and see what she has to say? She was there in the dreamlands anyway.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is a good OOC reason for not taking the dogs help as well. The demon literally says that if we get involved with him we will be thrown into a primordial conflict that transcends space time. While that's all fine and good, I want a low fantasy adventure where we slowly acquire power and grow stronger. Can't we save the power creep and different dimensions for later?

ChumBucket

Augur
There is a good OOC reason for not taking the dogs help as well. The demon literally says that if we get involved with him we will be thrown into a primordial conflict that transcends space time. While that's all fine and good, I want a low fantasy adventure where we slowly acquire power and grow stronger. Can't we save the power creep and different dimensions for later?
If you want that we should ditch Rain, Liz, and Sophie now. We are already balls deep in this conflict. We were from our first choice in this CYOA.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As a parting gift, here is a prophecy, some words of divine insight. You will be drawn into a dangerous path that is not of this world. Not of my world and not of yours. At that time, you will have no choice but to accept my aid in desperation.
What he actually says is that we will find ourselves in this conflict whether we get involved with him or not, and that we will want his help eventually.

My reason for refusing him is that I do not understand neither what he wants, nor what he gets out of the offer he makes.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's best to tell her straight to the face that this is the last chance to save her soul and that we couldn't ever love an evil woman. Either she admits everything or we'll have burned all bridges and voting A is going to be a no-brainer.
Sounds like a very paranoid sociopath thing to do
I, ah, actually had that thought?
:|

Just say yes to the nice dog, guys. Ff all the ways this can fail, him not being able to cure Elizabeth is not one of them. We are tied to Uridimmu anyway, so let's talk start bonding already. As ChumBucket said, we have a high WIL stat and it should prove useful in resisting any, ahem, eccentricities he will no doubt try to force on us.

Like howling at the moon, or chasing after cars.

Nevill

Arcane
Of all the ways this can fail, him not being able to cure Elizabeth is not one of them.
What about being willing to? Only touching the disease and nothing else? Not having side-effects? Having a permanent solution that does not make the state of her health depend on our cooperation?

What about us being unable to wield his power properly?

If I didn't know it's possible to heal Liz' without his help, I'd probably do it.

Baltika9

Arcane
What about being willing to? Only touching the disease and nothing else?
I may have misspoken. I meant to say that I doubt that we won't be able to cure this disease with his involvement. All of your other concerns are valid.
If I didn't know it's possible to heal Liz' without his help, I'd probably do it.
Here's the thing: there's a risk involved with letting the doctors treat her as well. If this is more than a common illness (a curse, maybe?), then even Dr. Giuseppe might not be able to cure it despite his initial confidence.

Yeah, I'm expecting this deal to have some strings attached to it, but whatever. While C seems like a deal with the Devil, Uridimmu is a devil we really should get to know better. We already turned down his first attempt at seduction like the virtuous virgin soul we are. With that social ritual complete, we can accept his second attempt at seduction a clear conscience, our chastity satisfied.

Like it or not, Uridimmu is part of our life. Might as well accept his offer and then work to slowly convert him with the unstoppable power of love and friendship

:love:

+M

ChumBucket

Augur
My reason for refusing him is that I do not understand neither what he wants, nor what he gets out of the offer he makes.

If he is an almost forgotten entity in the world, there may not be much we can learn about him. And if I was him I wouldn't share with others either. If my theory on the primordial/god dynamic applies here, I see five possibilities on ulterior motives he could possess. One or some or all of these could apply.
First, he has no access to the world to hunt anymore outside of the limited access the wizards allow him. I doubt this arrangement is very satisfying for him. A deal with us might give him the freedom he hasn't had in eons. Once you add in the possibility that he might get an opportunity to hunt the very wizards that used him, I doubt having to tie himself to a caring and nurturing child would concern him.
:x
Second possibility is that his only goal is to usurp his usurpers and totally regain his freedom. I think that is self explanatory.
:mob:
Third is he just wants to om nom us and he is the trolololo pick.
:troll:

Let me start this by saying that everything in the last two possibilities are only true if Rain is some sort of "sacred" child of destiny. (which I think is highly likely).
The fourth motive would be that he was contracted by outside forces to hunt and kill rain as part of this conflict he spoke to us about. He might still be obligated to kill her, but if he is trying to get her it doesn't explain why he has to go through us to do this.
:happytrollboy:

The final possibility I can see is that the contract was made while Rain's mother was still pregnant and he fulfilled his duty of killing her mother. Unfortunate wording for the issuer of said contract. While fulfilling the contract on Rain's mother he learned who the child was and the implication of her survival. He see's what she represents, and the leverage he could wield if he assists her in fulfilling her destiny. If that is the case then possibilities one and two could easily become a reality for him.
:evilcodex:

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
If you want that we should ditch Rain, Liz, and Sophie now. We are already balls deep in this conflict. We were from our first choice in this CYOA.
There's a difference between rushing head on into it, and taking it slow.
Agreed. Which is why I want to have some fun and thrust into the warm darkness of corruption.
Its cliche and boring, which is the opposite of fun to me, but to each his own.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Baltika9 If it wasn't cliche, why is everyone voting for it? I'm like the only vote B along with Grim, perhaps we're the chads that want to go off the beaten path while you plebs just want another boring YA novel where we're super speshul 'n shi
thinking.png

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9 If it wasn't cliche, why is everyone voting for it? I'm like the only vote B along with Grim, perhaps we're the chads that want to go off the beaten path while you plebs just want another boring YA novel where we're super speshul 'n shi
thinking.png
Bro, I was going for a string of messages exchanging innuendos. You failed me bro. Don't know if I'm in the mood for Virgin vs Chad posting, tho. Meme game isn't spicy enough to get me excited.

I'm not opposed to A, since C carries the risks listed earlier in the discussion. But I do want to (a) get to know Uridimmu better and (b) save Liz's life so that we can join with Tlalli on time and not leave Sophie. I like Uridimmu, he's got that je ne sais quoi.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really sure on that one, but I'll go B > A. I don't really trust the doggo and what's it going to cost us, it feels like devour soul all over again. And I'd prefer if we were consistent in our choices regarding Uridimmu, either all-in or not at all

Baltika9

Arcane
And I'd prefer if we were consistent in our choices regarding Uridimmu, either all-in or not at all
I disagree with this approach to Uridimmu in general. While I understand the caution around him due to the fact that we don't understand the nice puppy (no one does :(), I don't think that ignoring him is the way to go and, moving forward, we should strive to learn more about him.

All in all, I agree with ChumBucket's sentiment:
I would also like to point out in most mythologies, gods gained their power by tricking/stealing/enslaving the primordial powers. Perhaps that is why Uridimmu lies forgotten in his pyramid. What treave has revealed to us so far implies there is a war between the gods of this world, and that people like Rasputin, John Bull, and Tlalli are their agents. If we are going to be fighting with gods, I would rather be fighting them on their terms with powers on par with what they harness, instead of using the trickle they provide us to fight on their behalf. We have a high will and high con character which makes us exceedingly resilient; the kind of person that is capable of harnessing such energies. Not only that, our sign is that of water, a transformative changing power capable of redirecting things towards new ends. Granted Uridimmu is Fire, but this would create an interesting yin/yang dynamic within our character. Now I can understand if you feel we are not ready to test ourselves, but as I stated in previous posts he is a darkness we must tame or we will only invite disaster in our character's life.

Edit: I would also like to add my advocacy for making the deal is to ensure we don't forget this. I don't know if we are at a point of no return on this, but if we fall into the trap of "fire dog bad" we could get ourselves into trouble later on a vote that we thought was inconsequential.
We were made for one another.

Nevill

Arcane
And I'd prefer if we were consistent in our choices regarding Uridimmu, either all-in or not at all
Mmm...

I want to know more about him. The guy is pretty straightforward. With him generally above lying to our face, I wouldn't be against a classic deal where we both get something. It's clear we are stuck with him for a while, and that he is one of our claims to power; power that we may need sooner rather than later.

I would never go all-in on Uridimmu (and it is too late for that anyway), but I'd consider his offers on a case by case basis.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think that ignoring him is the way to go

I don't think ignoring him will be possible, since we seem to have a fragment of him in our head that can talk to us whenever he wants

Also
the nice puppy
that's a nice puppy:

cute-puppy-pictures4.jpg

And not a nice puppy:
Ttn5uE1.png

In the darkness, six glowing eyes open up one by one, manifesting high in the ceiling. The eyes burn with a purple fire, and you can sense them fixate on you.
The darkness seems to be solidifying, outlining a massive silhouette that towers above you; a winged shadow that is far larger than a bear, perhaps even as large as Father McClellan’s church. You can make out the faintest hints of a snout stretched in a wicked grin, and within that maw, sharp, gleaming teeth each thicker than your arm. Something about it reminds you of the shadowbeast you once fought in the forest… but you can tell that this thing is far greater, far stronger, and far more terrible.

Come you have to my throne unbidden.

You hear a deep, cruel voice in your head. It is a voice that brings to mind slaughter, a voice that evokes prey being hunted down and torn apart, a voice of blood and guts piled up in offerings.

Baltika9

Arcane
He's just playing hard to get pet. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Someone hurt him in the past, and it's up to Cloud and Rain to fix it.

By the way, I'm calling bragging rights if it turns out that redeeming Uridimmu with the Power of Love was indeed the answer all along.

ChumBucket

Augur
She doesn't know what you're talking about.
Not surprising. A very common theme of "sacred children" is that they remain ignorant of their power unless they are about to fulfill their destiny. That or they literally have a shell personality that will conceal them from their enemies.

ChumBucket

Augur
YA novel where we're super speshul 'n shi
We are not special, Rain is. We just happen to be in the right place at the wrong time. If you don't want to deal with boring YA BS or some godling comming to smash our face in, ditch Rain, and anyone connected to her. As suffering and conflict will be drawn to her and those around her. Or just stick your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist like some cool edgelord.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Not surprising. A very common theme of "sacred children" is that they remain ignorant of their power unless they are about to fulfill their destiny.
The easier explanation is that it wasn't Rain in the dream. I mean, it's common sense? She was sleeping five levels away from us, and there is nothing to suggest she has dreamwalking or something.

The pendant could have reacted to our thoughts of her and took shape of her master in the dream. The one we saw looked older, so it probably was not a specific person, but some kind of collective figure (Rain's ancestral line?), combined into a form familiar to us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom