Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A review of every major CRPG from the last ten years

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There's not a lot here if you're already familiar with the games. Thankfully he covers Underrail and AoD, not just DOS and PoE.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The publishers will never admit they've been wrong for almost 20 years, but doing remakes is confession enough.

The Jester

Cipher
If Pillars of Eternity was a modernized version of Baldur's Gate then Pathfinder Kingmaker is simply a modern version of it.
It doesn't try as hard to change or improve on original formula and it's arguably a better game as result.
:incline:

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I was just listening to this video while browsing codex. I like this guy - he doesn't say too much stupid shit.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
He ranks DOS 1 and 2 higher then Underrail by the end.

:shredder:
Having watched the full video, its not a ranking of quality that he recommends DoS over any other game on (he does so later as well, and ranks Kingmaker as his #1), but as an entry-level game for someone who just recently discovered that there is such a thing as cRPGs. And I honestly agree with that choice, since Underrail, while definitely the superior game, is also much harder to get into - especially for someone who is new to the genre. DoS story is easy to digest, the games complexity is less in the character building and more in the strategic approach of the combat itself, and there's not a whole lot to read or think about while you enjoy the ride. While technically he did rate it higher, Underrail does have its issues as a game, and can be quite frustrating at times whereas DoS was just an enjoyable ride from start to finish.

For most of us there will be few revelations in the video, but the guy clearly knows his stuff and I agree with pretty much every single review he did. Maybe hes underselling Underrail a little, but thats understandable. The video is probably a good starting point for any new~ish RPG fan who hails DA:Inquisition, Fallout 4, Skyrim or Witcher 3 as the most glorious of RPGs, to then help them transcend their shitty tastes.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
Having watched the full video, its not a ranking of quality that he recommends DoS over any other game on (he does so later as well, and ranks Kingmaker as his #1), but as an entry-level game for someone who just recently discovered that there is such a thing as cRPGs. And I honestly agree with that choice.

I don't know if i missed something but i don't think that's what happened, it's true that he did recommended divinity as the best entry point for the genre at first in this minute:

but then he continues to say "as for which games are my favorite " and proceeds to rank divinity higher then Underrail here:

I am pretty sure he is ranking them based on his personal opinion here.

The video is probably a good starting point for any new~ish RPG fan who hails DA:Inquisition, Fallout 4, Skyrim or Witcher 3 as the most glorious of RPGs, to then help them transcend their shitty tastes.

I agree, his channel isn't all that bad and has some good reviews here and there that could be useful for casuals, it's just that he exhibits really shitty taste sometimes, regardless of Underrail's flaws it's still objectively the better RPG when compared to DOS.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I agree, his channel isn't all that bad and has some good reviews here and there that could be useful for casuals, it's just that he exhibits really shitty taste sometimes, regardless of Underrail's flaws it's still objectively the better RPG when compared to DOS.
Absolutely. I don't think it was intended to be an objective ranking though, he does talk about how his opinions are shaping his ranking and that things might very well look differently for someone with different tastes. Seems to me like he generally like fantasy settings a bit more than the scifi/post-apoc ones, so that in itself might already be reason enough to rank DoS higher than Underrail.

Falksi

Arcane
I like his vids, but his voice is annoyingly gay.

Proper sounds like a faggot student who needs the fuck kicking out of him.

its not a ranking of quality that he recommends DoS over any other game on (he does so later as well, and ranks Kingmaker as his #1), but as an entry-level game for someone who just recently discovered that there is such a thing as cRPGs. And I honestly agree with that choice
Nahhhhhh that'll just teach the normie to appreciate decline, since to the average person, their first experience with something becomes the standard they use to judge everything else with.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So what games did he miss?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom