Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bloodrayne 3 - Hey, it could happen

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
QlviDrz.jpg

Boobs.

Now that I have your attention: there were several articles about this back in June. Here's one:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video...-bloodrayne-series-possible-new-entry-future/

Ziggurat Interactive Acquires ‘Bloodrayne’ Series, With a Possible New Entry in The Future
Published 5 months ago on June 15, 2020
By Mike Wilson

Another cult classic for horror gamers looks to be getting a facelift in the future. According to Game Informer, Ziggurat Interactive has acquired several long-dormant properties, including Terminal Reality’s BloodRayne, with the intention of updating the current PC versions of the game (which are currently on Steam and GOG.com) to “improve compatibility and enhance the experience.”

Ziggurat Interactive is also looking into ways to “further explore and expand BloodRayne‘s already rich universe.” It doesn’t take much to decipher what that means.

Similar to Nightdive Studios, Ziggurat Interactive was established earlier this year to “remaster, rework, and restore” a “wide variety” of classic console and PC games from the 1980s, 1990s, and beyond for “modern consoles and PCs.”

First appearing on the PlayStation 2, Xbox, Gamecube and PC back in 2002, the last Bloodrayne game was 2011’s BloodRayne: Betrayal.

I was (and am) a big fan of the original Bloodrayne. A modern release from the franchise, particularly from a publisher who thought it was worthwhile to polish and rerelease the original, could be good. Not holding my breath, but hey ... it could happen.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
They're a little jank and not as polished as they could be, but they aren't bad coming from a minor company like TRI, and they do have some personality and charm.
Personally I would have preferred it if Platinum got a hold of it because they know how to make a character action game and aren't afraid of tits like the West seems to be now, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

I hope that Nocturne and Blair Witch also get picked up. Those were decent too, and those games are apparently part of the same world as Bloodrayne.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are the originals playable/enjoyable today?
There are rereleases of 1 & 2 coming out soon:

The original is also available now:

I'm sure 2 is as well.

Bloodrayne 2 was never playable as far as I know. QA was horrible and it was 1000x as difficult after the first act. But I replayed Bloodrayne 1 a few years back and it was still solid.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Bloodrayne 2 is even more jank and it had a wonky balance curve, but it is playable and improves the combat a little bit. You actually get combos for one thing.

I did not know about the remastered versions, that's nice.

A horse of course

Bloodrayne 2 is even more jank and it had a wonky balance curve, but it is playable and improves the combat a little bit. You actually get combos for one thing.

I did not know about the remastered versions, that's nice.

I replayed both games earlier this year, and Bloodrayne 2 adds a lot more depth to the melee combat, but it's also messier (mechanically) and less consistent than Bloodrayne 1. In both games, defeating the harder enemies really necessitates triggering blood rage or some other powerup due to how unreliable the dodge/block is. In the screenshot thread I mentioned Oni as an example of a "fairier" or more polished melee combat system. The problem with Rayne is that Oni's beat-em-up combat don't make sense with swords and blades (without looking stupid), but nor does a swordfighting or lightsaber-esque system. Unfortunately, I imagine that if the series was ever rebooted/requel-ed they'd just go with the Batman/Assassin's Creed contextual button mashing. Everyone else does, these days.

I don't really see any difference in this footage. And Rayne sounds different to how I remember her. Maybe just bad audio.

Ziggurat specified when the update was announced that it wasn't going to be a complete remaster, and based on what little you can see in the teaser, both games still look very much like they did back in the day. But the list of under-the-hood changes sounds pretty extensive:

• Support for higher display resolutions (up to 4K / 3840x2160)
  • Improved rendering with up to 4x anti-aliasing
  • Upscaled cinematic videos
  • Support for modern gamepads (XInput controller support)
  • Improvements to lighting at engine level, plus fully reprocessed lighting data
  • Engine improvements to support uncompressed original textures
  • Improvements to effects such as reflections, water, fog, and shadows
  • BloodRayne: Fully voiced with localized interfaces in English, French, Italian, Spanish
  • BloodRayne 2: Localized interface and subtitles for English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
  • Optimized for Windows 10
Bloodrayne and Bloodrayne 2: Terminal Cut will be available on Steam and GOG. Pricing hasn't been announced, but owners of the originals on either storefront (which remain available for purchase for $10 each if you're suddenly struck with an irresistible urge to play Bloodrayne like right now) will get the updated versions free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A new game would be nice, though it should be made by people who really loved the originals and their style.

Farewell into the night

This thread reminded me of this video:

And of a liitle 1999 Nocturne game:

A horse of course

This thread reminded me of this video:

And of a liitle 1999 Nocturne game:

The top video is a repost of a proof-of-concept Unreal Engine project made years ago by Red Fly, who were previously part of Terminal Reality and worked on the Ghostbusters game. It never went anywhere.

A horse of course

A work of sheer genius. I'm a fan of Rayne but I'm a superfan of the Stranger. Bloodrayne was initially going to be a sequel but they changed the franchise for reasons.

Purely legal/IP reasons. They wanted to do a sequel but didn't want to sell the rights to Spookhouse and the associated characters, so they wrote Bloodrayne in such a way to easily tie it back into the Spookhouse canon later down line. By Bloodrayne 2 they seem to have given up on this idea, though.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the first one a lot, but only tried the demo of 2 and thought it was kinda shit. Combat felt wrong compared to 1, the enemies were some clowns (?) that took way too many hits to kill.

A horse of course

I liked the first one a lot, but only tried the demo of 2 and thought it was kinda shit. Combat felt wrong compared to 1, the enemies were some clowns (?) that took way too many hits to kill.

Yeah, Bloodrayne is (mostly) about being a superhuman killer tearing whole squads of incels to pieces (like in the cutscenes). BR2 is more like a brawler where you're carving chunks out of other ghouls/vampires until they finally go down. Neither have perfect combat systems, but I think 1's was more enjoyable.

Zombra

Patron
Bloodrayne is (mostly) about being a superhuman killer tearing whole squads of incels to pieces (like in the cutscenes).
One of my favorite things about the original Bloodrayne was how cheap life was. In particular, I loved how you had a list of like 25 Nazi officers to kill, and some of them were super soldiers, some had defense mechs etc. for these elaborate boss fights, but other times it was just cutting down a helpless old man in a bathroom. It really made you feel how fragile human life is.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The top video is a repost of a proof-of-concept Unreal Engine project made years ago by Red Fly, who were previously part of Terminal Reality and worked on the Ghostbusters game. It never went anywhere.

You mean Anita Sarkeesian shut it down amirite?

Either way, I do remember playing the Nocturne demo from a gaming mag CD a century ago and was struck both by its atmospheric ligthing and shitty controls alike. Why can't it be found on GoG or Steam?

Blaza

Educated
Never played 2, but I did play through 1 for the first time last month and I enjoyed it. Janky as fuck, and the last boss is 2 tons of bullshit but it was fun. I mean what isn't fun about playing a leatherclad busty vampire?

A horse of course

Either way, I do remember playing the Nocturne demo from a gaming mag CD a century ago and was struck both by its atmospheric ligthing and shitty controls alike. Why can't it be found on GoG or Steam?

The publishing rights are probably owned by some random bank or something, if Take Two don't have them. I just pirated it and ran it through a wrapper: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-1045#post-6594026

Astral Fag and Minge Destroyer also reviewed it, I assume they used similar tools.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Because the fags haven't ported it to GOG yet if I recall. I could be wrong. I had to use XP last time I played it.

What was edgy about what I said? Are you offended by the word fag? Do you suck dick? Or are vampires just edgy and worth rating edgy? Sorry I can't rate posts so I'm going to reply with something here...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never played 2, but I did play through 1 for the first time last month and I enjoyed it. Janky as fuck, and the last boss is 2 tons of bullshit but it was fun. I mean what isn't fun about playing a leatherclad busty vampire?
That last boss fight is great. Not often do you get to fight 2 final bosses that also try to kill each other. And there's no set path to do it, sometimes you die, sometimes the demon dies early, sometimes the nazi guy dies first and it all flows well.

A horse of course

That last boss fight is great. Not often do you get to fight 2 final bosses that also try to kill each other. And there's no set path to do it, sometimes you die, sometimes the demon dies early, sometimes the nazi guy dies first and it all flows well.

Meh, I'm not a big fan. It's extremely rare for Bellend to die before the Kraut, and you're on a insta-death timer with him. Also, he quickly grows to a point at which it becomes very frustrating to properly target his heart. Every time I do the fight I just rush like mad to cause max damage to him before he grows to medium size, then try and chip away with the machine guns. It's only when he goes down you can enjoy the fight with the other guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom