Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best cities and settlements in RPGs

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Krasnoznamenny from ATOM RPG
Maadoran from The Age Of Decadence
Anor Londo from Dark Souls

madhouse

I like those shitty swamp towns in Morrowind. Seyda Neen, Hla Oad, etc...
Gothic 1/2 has pretty decent towns. That port town is probably the best one in the series.
Underraill. Junktown really embodies its name.
There's more, but these are the first ones that spring to my mind right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

user

Savant
PoE2 - Neketaka

pillars_of_eternity_2_capital_0.png

Witcher 3 - Beauclair

light3.jpg

Dark Souls 3 - Irithyll of the Boreal Valley

k1nxatg4m89y.jpg

Silly Germans

Nadoret from Drakensang River of Time is nice. It doesn't feel artificial like most towns in games.

user

Savant
Bathesda's cities always feel alive and have secrets and shit.
"Shittesda cities feel alive". Kek. What was the joke about NPC routines in there?
You sound butthurt,bathesda does most thing wrong,but they do some things good. Their cities do feel live unlike all the static standing statues of most games lol.

They are more like hamlets nowadays and with the exception of some Morrowind cities and perhaps Markath in Skyrim their layout is super boring... In terms of liveliness, yes - CDPR outclassed them though.

V_K

Arcane
For all their shortcomings, Beth cities are fully simulated. You can rob, kill and/or investigate NPCs in non-scripted ways. It's not used very much outside of Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines, but it is there.
Witcher cities on the other hand are pretty, but they're barely interactive scenery.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Sigil has only been mentioned twice and of course, it deserves the top spot.

Aside from the obvious ones, i really like the main city from Drakensang The River of Time, most ATOM cities, specially the starting village and the capital, and Arnika (could be more lively but everyone left when the Savan's tower appeared).

Also, some JRPG did it right, like Shining Force 1 & 2 and Suikoden 1 & 2 where most cities are quite interesting and with enough content.

Silly Germans

Tarant felt somewhat life- and bloodless to me. The large size and the Tarant soundtrack theme amplified that impression. I am not sure if that was the kind of mood they were going for. But the content was good.

DraQ

Arcane
In approximate order:
Morrowind towns and cities (of which Ald'Ruhn is probably the most iconic).
Sigil in PS:T.
Cities in Witcher series (like Vizima in 1).
Honorable mention to Daggerfall (especially the largest one like Daggerfall, Sentinel or Wayrest) cities for sheer scale and various settlements in FO1 and 2.

I guess Athkatla from BG2 works pretty damn well from what I've seen.

OTOH Baldur's Gate is murdered by the pants on head retarded way it's split into zones (by arbitrary rectangles rather than its actual districts, making it absolute pain to get around).
It's also a complete mystery to me why would anyone ever like fucking Tarant - it's not nearly the biggest, bland in terms of layout and environments and critically fails to convey faux-Victorian atmosphere.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's also a complete mystery to me why would anyone ever like fucking Tarant - it's not nearly the biggest, bland in terms of layout and environments and critically fails to convey faux-Victorian atmosphere.

The layout is really lame, i agree, reminds some English former industrial districts but it's all about the content, the small pubs full of people you'll interact with, the news paper delivery boys, the hidden content...

Tarant is in the top 2 of the richest city from a cRPG, content-wise.
Still, Sigil beat it because not only the content is more inspired (not that some Tarant's quest aren't very good) but Sigil layout and background is just unequalled.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's small, but I have a soft spot for Ust'Natha. There's something I can't put my finger on, but I think it's quite a well done section. And from memory if you use SCS it makes slaughtering everyone on the way out less of a thing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For all their shortcomings, Beth cities are fully simulated. You can rob, kill and/or investigate NPCs in non-scripted ways. It's not used very much outside of Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines, but it is there.
Witcher cities on the other hand are pretty, but they're barely interactive scenery.

Yeah, the city in Dragon's Dogma is a great example. It looks good and it's big and exploring its streets and rooftops is fun until you realize there's barely anything to interact with. It's all just non-interactive scenery to look at.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In approximate order:
Morrowind towns and cities (of which Ald'Ruhn is probably the most iconic).
Sigil in PS:T.
Cities in Witcher series (like Vizima in 1).
Honorable mention to Daggerfall (especially the largest one like Daggerfall, Sentinel or Wayrest) cities for sheer scale and various settlements in FO1 and 2.

I guess Athkatla from BG2 works pretty damn well from what I've seen.

OTOH Baldur's Gate is murdered by the pants on head retarded way it's split into zones (by arbitrary rectangles rather than its actual districts, making it absolute pain to get around).

Brofist...

Brofist retracted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom