Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

jackofshadows

Magister
Isn't Deadwood known for its absurd amount of cursing? Is that true for TOW?

... and that is just one word.

Anyway, Deadwood inspiration isn't new, Boyarsky has been telling about it even before release but I thought he meant settlements design wise, Fallbrook kinda confirmed that to me: one long broad street, just like in the show or pretty much any western movie. Not to mention some other cowboyish aesthetic, although it can be attributed to Firefly. But 'their use of language'?! WTF? Even cursing aside, TOW has very clean, polished use of language I'd say, nowhere close to crooked Deadwood style.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I hope they make Holographic Shroud better in the sequel or other games mimic because it's legit good idea. :M Just need to make less abusable to run as madman to ignore the checks.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Finishing this up. It starts out great, but you kind of end up realizing how hollow and small it is by the end. There's basically just one good sized world, one medium sized world, and everywhere else is tiny. Like, smaller than 2000s era Bioware Maps in many cases.

However, my biggest problem with it is that it's far too easy, even on Supernova. I died a few times at the start of the game, but I don't think I died once in the last 3/4 of the game. Which is disappointing as there are lots of interesting ways to upgrade your character, but almost zero reason to put any effort into doing so at all. Once I realized how easy the game was, I just started taking every flaw it offered, but it's still too easy.

At least it isn't terribly long.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Keeping a healthy distance of "never touch". Snowflake-tainted mediocrity, sparks of good ideas which were never developed upon, because of the cookie cutter attitude to making RPGs - "Hub 1, Hub 2, factions, NPC spokesman for faction". "Obligatory though out of place strong independent" diarrhea prevents it from being carried by its narrative. Underdeveloped mechanics, for fear of chasing away the casual crowd sales, prevent it from being carried by its mechanics. I've already played this game before installing it.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Finishing this up. It starts out great, but you kind of end up realizing how hollow and small it is by the end. There's basically just one good sized world, one medium sized world, and everywhere else is tiny. Like, smaller than 2000s era Bioware Maps in many cases.

However, my biggest problem with it is that it's far too easy, even on Supernova. I died a few times at the start of the game, but I don't think I died once in the last 3/4 of the game. Which is disappointing as there are lots of interesting ways to upgrade your character, but almost zero reason to put any effort into doing so at all. Once I realized how easy the game was, I just started taking every flaw it offered, but it's still too easy.

At least it isn't terribly long.

It's quite telling that I spent a hundred skill points into stealth but then the last quarter of the game I just shoot people without sneaking because there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to ever sneak

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's quite telling that I spent a hundred skill points into stealth but then the last quarter of the game I just shoot people without sneaking because there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to ever sneak

Yeah I'm usually a stealth nut. I've played New Vegas through like 5 times and every time I make a stealth build to some degree because I can't help myself. Yet I don't think I ever used stealth in Outer Worlds, because it's so easy there's no point and because enemy placement and weaponry just never felt right for it anyway.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
The game really seems like it was designed by several different teams who weren't communicating with each other. The people who designed the gameplay, stats, skills, combat, and high level conceptual stuff actually did a great job. Stats and skills work well together and have major trade-offs depending on what you pick. Combat has the elements to be fun, and there are a variety of builds that you can employ, from melee, to sniper, to stealth, to tank.

The problem is that the people who designed the high-level conceptual aspects of the game seem to be at odds with the people who designed the actual worlds, enemy encounters, and items in the world. Which means that:

-While there are lots of serious trade-offs depending on which stats you choose, they end up having almost no real impact on gameplay unless you dump a particular stat down to 1, but even then food that increases your stats is everywhere, so it doesn't matter. The only serious consideration about my build I had to manage for much of the game's run-time was carry-weight, but once you take a couple perks it becomes a non-issue.

-There's a great variety of builds, but skills have next to no value at all because the world is literally littered with skill increasing items that will allow you to pass any skill check that you want, even with dump stats.

-There are lots of combat builds, but once you upgrade your weapons a few times you can literally 1-shot everything you encounter in the world after entering TTS, so there is no reason to think about builds at all. Heck, there's no reason to even upgrade anything. I didn't realize until right before the final mission that there was a level 2 version of the sniper rifle I was using, so I upgraded......and it made next to no difference. All it did was increase the numbers above enemies' heads as I one-shotted them (and remember, I'm playing on Supernova! The game actually fucking warns you before starting a Supernova game that it might be too hard, lol).

-Also, there is endless ammo. Everywhere. I'm near the end of the game, I fight a lot, and I have 6,000 ammo worth of all ammo types. I can't imagine how much I'd have if I'd have taken that completely useless perk that makes you find more ammo, lol. If you are going to make ammo so plentiful, why not just make the game into an ammo-free world?

Derringer

Prophet
People are actually purchasing this game when the character models look ugly as fuck? This isn't just a bunch of shilling is it? It's like with the Borderlands 1 marketing spam a decade ago, I mean I wouldn't have a hard time believing that retards would buy any product marketed but there's a hard limit to the amount of bullshit I can pretend that people can deal with in their consumer products, nobody in this game looks vaguely fucking human. Bot sales are the last fucking thing that would surprise me given how manipulative Bill is.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finishing this up. It starts out great, but you kind of end up realizing how hollow and small it is by the end. There's basically just one good sized world, one medium sized world, and everywhere else is tiny.

IMO the size is fine, if anything one of the worlds is too big, though that is because it doesn't feel like the game gains anything by having a big world - it doesn't even have the theme park design you'd find in modern Bethesda games nor an interesting world by itself that you'd like to explore like in Morrowind and not even an engine that absolutely has to have a big seamless world so they had to make one like in New Vegas. It felt like they made it because "they had to" and not because there was something in the game that benefited from it.

I've personally found the game to be enjoyable but i was still let down considering the games the developers worked on before. I expected two main things:
  1. Some form of system-based gameplay that extends beyond how much damage is applied to an NPC when you attack them. I didn't expect a full immersive sim (though that'd be nice), but look, even in New Vegas almost a decade before TOW was released i could kill someone and, e.g., grab their armor - the real, actual armor they were wearing, not some randomly generated "loot".
  2. Good story, world and interesting characters. Both Fallout and especially VtMB had several memorable characters and while the story in these games wasn't anything groundbreaking (the story in Fallout is like out of a 70s action comic and VtMB is almost trolling you), they have very interesting characters (especially VtMB) and worldbuilding (and also Arcanum on that part).
I'd be fine with even one of the above, but TOW didn't had any of them. The gameplay felt too "thin", like it was made to be an FPS with RPG elements like many before it and didn't try beyond that. The story was ok, it could work fine - but that is with better characters and world. None of the characters were interesting - where is the equivalent of Mr. House or the Voerman sisters? - and while the world had potential, that potential wasn't realized and the game itself couldn't decide between taking itself seriously or not.

Perhaps if Cain and Boyarsky work on a smaller project by themselves where they have more control and influence things will be better since AFAICT TOW was mostly handled by others and perhaps it isn't possible to get something good with so many cooks in the kitchen.

Yosharian

Arcane
I finished both the main quest and the dlc principally because I knew apologists for this fucking piece of shit would say 'you can't criticise it unless you finished it!'

I also completed more than 3/4 of the side content.

It's terrible. It's all terrible. There is nothing redeeming in this game at all. The most you could say about it is that it has an unusual art style, and that's being generous.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Right, well, TBH personally wouldn't bother with that - or any game i didn't enjoy playing :-P.

While i can see the point of not criticizing a game until you finish it, i'm not a critic, i play games to have fun - and if a game gets better after i decide to drop it then (assuming i did give it a fair chance, of course) i can still criticize it for being unable to keep my interest until the point where it "gets better", as well as for the stuff i did manage to see before dropping it (very few games bother with introducing new mechanics after the first few hours anyway).

purupuru

Learned
I finished it but not because I was enjoying it, it was simply that there was nothing whatsoever stopping me from mindlessly progressing the game, there was no difficulty, no need to think and admittedly no real frustration either, and it was not even that long.

Yosharian

Arcane
I finished it but not because I was enjoying it, it was simply that there was nothing whatsoever stopping me from mindlessly progressing the game, there was no difficulty, no need to think and admittedly no real frustration either, and it was not even that long.
Yeah just walk towards the green icon until the story progresses, one-shotting any enemies you come across.

And I played Supernova

A trained monkey could compete this game

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, they overdid markers and loot to absurd degree. And the fact that difficulty doesn't change that at all is ludicrous by itself. The game is one year old now and there's no patches for that, no mods (I'm aware that it's not mods-friendly but still), no support whatsoever, because no one cares.

As a game it's on the same shallow, braindead level as the story, worldbuilding and characters in general. You don't have to think for a second, nothing can stop you from consuming. And this is their the most succesful game. What a fucking shame.

^ that's even all honk-honk bullshit aside, because if I'll start to recall any of that it will make me sad and angry again.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I finished both the main quest and the dlc principally because I knew apologists for this fucking piece of shit would say 'you can't criticise it unless you finished it!'

It's terrible. It's all terrible. There is nothing redeeming in this game at all. The most you could say about it is that it has an unusual art style, and that's being generous.

I'd say its... mediocre. I liked the graphics and the general gameplay was smooth. Kinda enjoyed the atmosphere, even if it was a bit much sometimes. But... pretty soulless, with thin and generic mechanics. And levelled loot... ugh.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

I'd say its... mediocre. I liked the graphics and the general gameplay was smooth. Kinda enjoyed the atmosphere, even if it was a bit much sometimes. But... pretty soulless, with thin and generic mechanics. And levelled loot... ugh.

terrible is a bit much. i would also say mediocre, and interestingly enough, even weirdos who shill this kind of crap usually didnt like it or find it interesting.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Been a while since I played but enemies on Supernova were fairly spongy from what I recall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom