Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
rock on dude! LAAYYLA!
8t0DlNc.jpg

no pinis
UKHKKZb.jpg

this guy...will live, i only have 6 dex
g78nFFT.jpg

tried killing a pig cause there was a strange symbol when i
clicked on it, spawny with S in metallic arc font
killed, nothing inside, reload
GOT STUCK IN A PIG ROFL
PffQ8U8.jpg

baby's first 3d game secret, shame its a invis scroll which goes
for 700 coin and you get a invis spell an hour later...
C8M04TL.jpg

same goes for this
rIeigMg.jpg

buttons through walls...
uEucpDX.jpg

yuge milkers
3NOJIHm.jpg

mithril cap giving more armor than the rest of the pimp outfit
RRveEMQ.jpg

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Question: how do you steal the Troll idol from the goblins without 40 points in mechanics? Kill the King, he has keys? Isnt that bad?
/edit
I looked it up, its under a pillow. Stange, I felt like a checked every place.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Its in that second floor bedroom the one with the commode beside the bed.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Some broken stuff is actually fun.
There is a trap in an unholy temple, where you open a chest and
a lich pops out and the secret door behind you closes.
I sent like 5 fireballs at him - he is still alive.
Tried Negate Magic and he is still casting, the fucker.
Tried buffing myself and sluggin it out but its just potion wasting.
So, what do?
Press secret button to open door through the wall, escape!
I cast Invisibility, open chest, lich appears, activate the secret button through wall and exit the trap, shoot the lich and run to an adjesent area where all magic fizzles, hoping the lich fizzles as well!
And he does! lul
Now he stands on stairs, fizling, and I massage his ankles till he dies kek
LjAMqw0.jpg

Literally next fite is also bullshit. This demon eats 6+ fireballs and doesnt die... while I learn drawing while strafing around the altar...
Then I cast Invis, hop onto the altar, the thing loses me for some reason. I cast a bunch of Magic MIssles and it dies...
0iMfgxG.jpg

Evil paladin below cant get it up
WacrbCY.jpg

Harem is stuck
9HJPoVi.jpg

Time for sexual discovery
JpeRFfq.jpg

This puzzle is buuulshit, had to look it up. I was close though, but I was turning the symbols on the inside...
CWl8k4y.jpg

If you cast BLESS on self, put on Plate with high STR requirements and let BLESS run out - you keep the plate :>>>> b a l a n c e d
H143QCE.jpg

The Trap spell is cute, for some reason its not in the manual.
apfzYJy.jpg

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
The best part of the game up until now was when I disabled the minimap and have not used the map, even my own drawn one, on the Crypt level 2 and onward.
It was disorienting...

Wesp5

Arcane
Yeah, Arx Fatalis is pretty much unbalanced regarding some enemies that you can meet early on. I killed liches while getting the magic helmet in the crypt by jumping onto a torch or something on the wall where they couldn't reach me! I had no chance against the lich in the secret room when I first went there because I didn't know you could activate the button through the wall. So I had to wait until I was much stronger, then I returned and used Harm and other high level magic against him. Even in the endgame I found it pretty unbalanced that those quick enemies had the same armor as myself and still could take ten times as much damage! Luckily Harm works against them too...

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
For the helmet though you should already have the mortis rune that is just before the helmet, next to the shield. With that rune you can cast Repel Undead which amkes liches just spin in circles and cast Invisibility while you whack em... so they become pushovers.

This game has terrible rune placement. Not a single time I felt like I found something magical and special and because I paid attention or explored something.
More than half of them are straight up given to you. The rest is so obvious its painful. Maybe its because I have high insight and all the hidden walls are blue but the textrues are obvious even without the blueing...

This game also actively punishes deep diving and exploration since everything is on triggers.

How often do you need Levitate? Twice? Once in the crypt to get over the spikes and once to get to the dragon area? Lame.
Same for Telekinesis - maybe worse - all the gear is fucking trash.

Now I have to forge a sword to defeat The Evil - and I have to run around areas for their retarded recipe fetch quests - all areas I already have been to - and I dont really want to...

Quitting this shit, 2/5, shit Tomb Raider clone, no qt314 snek gf.

Might and Magic kicking simulator is next!

Wesp5

Arcane
For the helmet though you should already have the mortis rune that is just before the helmet, next to the shield. With that rune you can cast Repel Undead which amkes liches just spin in circles and cast Invisibility while you whack em... so they become pushovers.

Maybe, but do I have the combination for Repel Undead? And do I know it is powerful? That was another issue for me with the game, there was too little info on what a spell would do and how powerfull it was. It's not reasonable to do save/load/repeat to just see what spell is good against liches because you die so fast if you fail!

This game also actively punishes deep diving and exploration since everything is on triggers. ...
Now I have to forge a sword to defeat The Evil - and I have to run around areas for their retarded recipe fetch quests - all areas I already have been to -

The same happened to me. I was in the dwarf area before and when I needed to forge the sword everything was empty and boring with endless backtracking. A hub system where areas open up when you actually need them would have been better for this game. Arkane learned this for Dishonored and forgot it for Prey again :(.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
You should have the Protection rune form the temple since its on the main quest before the crypt.
What spells do is in the manual, I mean its ealry 2000, we still reading them... also I mean, Repel Undead <-> Lich , doesnt take a rocket scientiest. First thing I tried.
Quote from manual: "So lean back, relax, and start exploring the world of Arx - and dont forget to take the time to experiment"

Now the hidden spells are kinda bullshit, I didtn know about them until you mentioned Harm and I went google.
I tried different combos when the game started, stumbled upon 1 that worked but I didtn have the rune and the game just said "i cant cast that spell yet" and thats when I stopped experimenting.
I tried it again when snek gf showed me the Portal spell but found nohting...
But its alright since the hidden spells suck anyway and Fireball with 1d6 x Level == dmg is still the best spell...

Wesp5

Arcane
What spells do is in the manual, I mean its ealry 2000, we still reading them... also I mean, Repel Undead <-> Lich , doesnt take a rocket scientiest.

I got the game as gift at the Arkane anniversary recently. Maybe there was a manual included in some kind of form, but of course I didn't read it ;).

Now the hidden spells are kinda bullshit, I didtn know about them until you mentioned Harm and I went google.

I don't think Harm was hidden, I knew it from the game but you can't judge how much damage it does. I mean Harm sounds relatively harmless...

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Harm is mostdef hidden. It also makes the enemies run away, which is very counterproductive...

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Arx just dropped from a very generous 2/5 to 1/5, maybe 0.
Instead of doing the pointless forging myself I would just watch the ending on youtube, right?
So I type something like "arx forge" in FuckDuckGo and the first result is some girl with a nice voice doing a lets play "lets play arx pt74 forge work", aug 2010
So I check her recent videos and her last video is from 2011, "Let's recover from the surgeries, pt. 4 - the dreadful "s" sounds" <- tongue cancer...
dhNC1qJ.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptpvVmqoOw

My enjoyment from Arx Fatalis reached negative fucking levels.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.moddb.com/mods/arx-extended-mod/downloads/arx-extended-23

surprise update six years later

-Carlo now wears an armored-looking guard uniform instead of the civilian version.
-The guards that are on duty inside the castle now wear the armored variant.
-The guards that are sleeping use an unarmored version of the uniform.
-There's also a variant for guards in jail used for specific cases in the story.
-Added a new goblin skin variant used by a goblin in the goblin jail, the one guarding the access by the outpost and the gate keeper in the goblin city.
-Atok, the quartermaster now uses a different head skin.
-Anuk, the cook now uses Atok's old head skin.
-The Trolls Greu and Burwaka use an unique face now.
-Kultar will now speak unused lines found in the game files.
-Giving a bone or a knife to Kultar when fighting the Goblin Lord will give a small amount of EXP.
-You can only give a Life Potion to Kultar after the fight with the Goblin Lord. This consumes the Potion but gives EXP.
-The mug on the table in the Guard room where Carlo usually hangs out can now be taken.
-Edited the dialogs of Tizzy and the guarded door in the Tavern. Going to the door first no longers bugs Tizzy's intro dialog.
-Replaced all of the .jpg images with .bmp files in the mod. [why?]

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Wasn't drain life the most powerful spell? Vitae movis or something? Cast 4 or 5 of those and just stand near enemies and they drop dead. The spell also heals you if you get damaged. I remember the final boss going down super fast with this spell, and the other bosses as well, including the dragon.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone knows the penalty for wearing Ylside armor?

Edit: There is no penalty.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished the game for the 1st time ... since 2004 :)

The game has its ups and downs but overall is still a lot of fun: the spell system is nice, you can lean with Q and E (how I miss this feature :|), plenty of shortcuts, no hand holding, mining ore, puzzles ... and you can actually fuck your build like I did so many years ago. First time I think I killed the snake women and I did no have XP enough to enchant my sword. Long time ago.

The only downsides are that the end game is somewhat rushed and the last boss is lame. Ylside have the best armor!? My strategy was to create field, wait for their buff to expire and then chop them up :)

As usual my build was retarded: began as an Alchemist, changed to Fighter and then to Mage. Ended up with 50k+ gold, many potions and armor parts. I've become Al Fabet.

If I ever play this game again then I will go full two-handed with max STR just for lulz.

In the end the visuals are dated and the controls are clunky but honestly the core gameloop is still excellent. I badly need an immersive sim ...

50902992142_81ccc6e6cc_o.png

50902164798_9972491252_o.png

50902873071_ac43bce5b6_o.png

50902992042_8f90b56bb0_o.png

50902873021_40ffabe59f_o.png

ds

Cipher
Patron
Good news, you can finally play Arx Fatalis in an actually good game engine:

(well, you could if this wasn't just a video of a presumably unfinished mod without a download link)

Ash

Arcane
Is there a better FP dungeon crawler than Arx? I'll accept the argument for Ultima Underworld but likely nothing else.

Is there a better FP dungeon crawler than Arx? I'll accept the argument for Ultima Underworld but likely nothing else.
That's a tough question. If it doesn't have to be a literal medieval dungeon, I think Prey beats Arx overall. I deeply appreciate how Arx has nearly zero plot gates, but as a whole package Prey is just more refined and benefits from its fore-runners. I'll further add credit to Prey in being such a good dungeon crawler, in that I vastly prefer medieval to scifi and am one of the few people who appreciated rune casting. Arx's interlocking paths that let you go absolutely anywhere is absolutely glorious though. The first time I ever played it, I had cleared probably 98% of the game before I ever visited the king. I picked the crypt lock and just got to it.

Gargaune

Magister
Good news, you can finally play Arx Fatalis in an actually good game engine:

(well, you could if this wasn't just a video of a presumably unfinished mod without a download link)

All your RPGs are belong to NWN.

sosmoflux

Educated
That's a tough question. If it doesn't have to be a literal medieval dungeon, I think Prey beats Arx overall. I deeply appreciate how Arx has nearly zero plot gates, but as a whole package Prey is just more refined and benefits from its fore-runners. I'll further add credit to Prey in being such a good dungeon crawler, in that I vastly prefer medieval to scifi and am one of the few people who appreciated rune casting. Arx's interlocking paths that let you go absolutely anywhere is absolutely glorious though. The first time I ever played it, I had cleared probably 98% of the game before I ever visited the king. I picked the crypt lock and just got to it.
Never knew you could do that that's crazy
But in hindsight yeah nothing is really stopping you

ds

Cipher
Patron
I hope you're fucking joking, NWN's is the worst engine ever made.
If Aurora is the worst engine ever made then explain why it (and its derivatives) was used for numerous titles and by three different studios. Meanwhile Arkane ditched DANAE after only a single game.
Face it, NWN is clearly the superior engine, with support for multiple platforms, to this day receiving patches by its developer and still making money while Arx runs on ancient junk that needs compatibility hacks to work at all.

(here, have one of these: /s)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom