Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GTFO

Beowulf

Arcane
Full price early access game? Check.
Unity FPS? Check?
MP game with no matchmaking? Check.
Pretentious title and trailers? Check.

What can go wrong?

Anyway - continuing my string of poor life choices I decided to buy it and it turned out to be pretty decent.

First things first - it's a Unity made MP game and it shows. Some animations (mostly melee) don't play out at all, enemies can ragdoll and get stuck on geometry. Audio samples for enemies can still be heard after they're dead and the music when players blow stealth can remain in that state.
Shooting also is not as meaty as it could be and lacks some useful feedback here and there. There is also basically no feedback to the enemies hitting you, so there will be some instances where you will be running around in circles before you find the one ankle biter that was attacking your team.

But apart from that I've not encountered any major bugs.

And even it's made with Unity it runs really well (my GPU fans don't try to lift my computer to space, which happens in other titles using this engine, even Expedition Vikings).
It's also incredibly atmospheric with great lighting and a clever level design that utilizes it in a well thought out manner. Darkness and fog can be truly frightening experiences here.
I was afraid that levels might be repetitive with same assets reused over and over but I was also wrong about that. There are different interiors that are somewhat similar to each other, but at the same time distinct enough.
The old missions are scrapped every couple of months, and new ones are introduces so that might help with repetitive nature of this kind of zombie coop shooters.
I'm also sold on the enemy design. The game takes its own spin on the standard genre cliches.

I think that the main thing that dragged me in is the sense of exploration. Every level has some neat things going for it (environmental storytelling they call it) and it feels like a genuine sense of discovery going through a level for the first time.
The game gives me vibes of being somewhat a blend of Alien Isolation and Aliens the movie.

kreight

The concept is indeed interesting but the price and lack of mm never appealed to me. Last time I checked this game's forums ppl were talking about very few players playing the game.

Beowulf

Arcane
The concept is indeed interesting but the price and lack of mm never appealed to me. Last time I checked this game's forums ppl were talking about very few players playing the game.
If you don't mind using the discord there's usually very little wait time to organise a group to play the level you want on the difficulty you want to play. Even less if you're willing to join other people lobbies.
There is apparently some matchmaking feature that they're testing, but I have not tried that.

kreight

Using discord to find a match in a game is a bit too hardcore for me and I think for most players as well. Well they call it 'hardcore' for a reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom