Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder [Poll] How are you going to handle Companions in WotR?

How are you going to handle Companions in WotR

• 1) Stick to the Companions original classes/flavor

Votes: 60 63.2%
  • 2) Try to salvage the Companions but still use them

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • 3) Full Custom Party

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters

frajaq

Erudite
With WotR beta out and progress being made I'm curious how fellow gamers are gonna handle their party compositions in their first run. From what I've seen happen in Kingmaker people mostly fall into three game styles:

1) The more "immersion" and "roleplay-like" option of sticking with the given companions Stats/Classes even if they may be lacking in optimization/class choice synergy, and seeing what happens with them in the storyline.

2) People trying to "salvage" companions, there's a lot of guides out there on the Kingmaker companions, sometimes going complete opposite ways regarding their original class, trying to take advantage of their weird statlines (like Valerie in Kingmaker) but still wanting to have a Companion in the party with the content/reactions that the devs provided to them.

3) Full custom party for those that find the companions too shitty/cringy and dont care at all about them and want to have the fun aspect of making a full 6 party from scratch, plus take advantage of all those new classes/subclasses that WotR is gonna bring.

I'm really curious how others think about this, specially because I know there's quite a lot of Pathfinder system experts around here.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I like trying to "salvage" companions, they say restriction breeds creativity and I like figuring out how best to work with the tools I'm given.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I always try to make the compeers cry one way or another. If they make me cry however it's game over, I quit immediately. I only hit without being hit in return ; this is the utmost in tactics and strategy

First time with any of them, I use them as envisioned, even if the details are built to suit my party. I save total class/archetype changes for later playthroughs--particularly when I start wading into mods.

Salvo

Arcane
I will make some deviation on the standard build, but try to either justify it or stick to the lore / backstory outright. For example: Valerie in Kingmaker says she tried out the Aldori fighting style and never got used to it, so dueling swords for her / any Aldori class is out of the question. Doesn't mean I won't give her a few level in Thug though.

At the same time, I won't give her sorcerer levels either. A martial character stays martial.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Stats turned out to be fine as is. False choice.

Doesn't matter since WotR are now juiced because so many people stupidly cried about it.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
The subpar stats of the KM cast never really stopped me from using them. The problem is offering like 50 different classes (counting each archetype as something different). And then your companions cover maybe 20% of what's available. Only ways around that are to make mercs or to take a +1 ECL penalty on companions (no thanks)

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The subpar stats of the KM cast never really stopped me from using them. The problem is offering like 50 different classes (counting each archetype as something different). And then your companions cover maybe 20% of what's available. Only ways around that are to make mercs or to take a +1 ECL penalty on companions (no thanks)

No, in fact the KM companions were well set up to cover everything but Pal with the initial level (or two in Amiri's case) serving as a reasonable, value added splash.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

No, in fact the KM companions were well set up to cover everything but Pal with the initial level (or two in Amiri's case) serving as a reasonable, value added splash.

There is no such thing as a reasonable splash for a pure caster class.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Nothing is worth being behind on caster level. Respec mod is mandatory if you don't agree with a companion's initial class choice.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I will probably stick to the thematic for each companion on my first playthrough, and eventually try something a bit more funky on subsequent one.

Yosharian

Arcane
I love using companions, for example I always use them in BG2 because they make the game more interesting. Morgan, Edwin, Viconia, Sarevok... Great stuff. Even the meme companions are still fun.

Problem with Kingmaker is that I can't stand the companions in that game, with a few exceptions.

The fact that they are mechanically flawed is only half the problem. I mean, not all of them. But nearly all of them have some kind of annoying sub-optimal feat, subclass, stat distribution, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom