Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell 2 - Patch 4 Reveal

Gargaune

Magister
I gotta be honest, I can't remember a worse experience with camera controls than the one I had with NWN2. Maybe it's my memory and the camera wasn't that BAD, but I think this is the main reason why I've never replayed MotB and SoZ despite the enjoyment I had at time with both expansions.

In comparison, DOS camera (and by extension BG3 camera as long as you don't zoom in) struck me a serviceable, especially considering the variety of purposes it serves (allowing smooth interactions with a shitload of small objects, giving a good overview of the battlefield during combat, dealing with a lot of verticality during exploration, etc...).
This is a camera with a complicated job: Like dealing with the needs of Ultima 7 and ToEE at the same time, with more verticality than both games ever had.
My belief is that a lot of the frustration with NWN2's character controls tends to spill over to the camera, it's an irritating combination. It's not a good camera implementation by any means, and there were a few things Obsidian could've done better, but for the most part I've always managed with the Exploration camera and popping into the Strategy view every once in a blue moon.

BG3, however, attempts to merge and automate all three of NWN2's camera modes into one and half-arses it, at least that's been my experience. The infuriating part is that, like the character selection, the solutions are relatively simple and consist of merely giving the player a bit more control. Stuff like manual pitch adjustment and edge turning when locked aren't exactly sophisticated changes.

On a related note, my mouse wheel button gave up the ghost two weeks ago. Sure, it was an old mouse, seen plenty of service, but I couldn't help grumbling that it happened just as I finished playing some BG3...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They've been EA'ing the first hour of the game for how long now?

Looks like complete dog shit every time I see it. Companions are nu-Bioware lgbtwaq+ queertrash, combat looks tedious and RNG as hell, and despite looking good fidelity-wise, the environments all look boring (where he hell is Baldur's Gate in this game???). Waste of IP. Should have given it to Owlcat.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Booba's Gate

Screen-Shot-2021-02-18-at-9-57-07-pm.png
Oh I would venture forth!

Thonius

Arcane
Mi
Booba's Gate

Screen-Shot-2021-02-18-at-9-57-07-pm.png
missed opportunity to replace the bg3 censor with moo cow head and tongue. Milk makers baby. Yeesh!
Did they downgrade graphics already? Triangular boobas ( shadow is triangular as hell, shading bad)
tenor.gif

Skipping over the trailer it seems like they didn't rework the awfull dialogue system yet, where you have to reload when you want to make a skillcheck with a character who is not the leader of the conversation.
Absolutely baffling, since this should be their number one priority. They changed a lot of good stuff last patch, while this one has glaring omissions like that.

The hag quest they are showcasing there is the one that made me ragequit the beta. The scripting was so broken that the boss never spawned for me.

I guess they said that this patch will have a lot of back end changes.
But looking over lists that are fluctuating on the net for probable patch notes the entire test seems like a waste of time.

P5SHoTO.png

This isn't even worth going over point by point, since all of it is shit.
The only thing here that makes the game remotely better is Pathfinding and UI Improvements, and that is vague as fuck.

Overall this made me more pessimistic about the game, but the full patch notes aren't out yet.
Also it looks like they significantly buffed the Druid, which would be hilarious as Moon Druid is one of the most notoriously overpowered classes from 5e.
If they increase the power further this might be the Tier 0 class from BG3. The mechanics currently favor it decently well, as you can easily long rest after every major fight.
Are they moving into the game as service territory? Are they going to patch this shit till full release?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom