Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell 2 - Patch 4 Reveal

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; David Walgrave; Larian Studios; Nick Pechenin; Swen Vincke

There hasn't been much news about Baldur's Gate 3 since December, when the game received its third patch. That changed last week when Larian announced a new Panel From Hell event in order to reveal details about the upcoming fourth patch, this time featuring Swen alongside Larianites David Walgrave and Nick Pechenin as well as lead D&D rules designer Jeremy Crawford. Broadcast yesterday, Panel From Hell 2 turned out to be both longer and more straightforward than the previous one. It began with an introduction to some of the changes that will be introduced in the new patch, including the option to make dialogue stat checks less likely to fail repeatedly, new and improved cinematics (including for speaking with the dead), and a variety of quality of life and UI improvements. That was followed by an interlude where it was announced that the Larian empire has expanded once more with the acquisition of Guildford-based studio Turbulenz, who have been assisting with the game's development.

After that was done, the main highlight of the new patch was revealed - the addition of the Druid class to Baldur's Gate 3. Larian are placing a large emphasis on the druid's shapeshifting abilities, with characters able to do everything you might expect in their animal forms, both in and out of combat. To demonstrate the new class and some of the patch's other new features, the panel concluded with a lengthy 70 minute gameplay stream, in which Swen's party took on a powerful swamp hag who had kidnapped a local peasant woman. Spoiler: It didn't well.

Larian have also put together a new trailer for the druid class. As for when we'll be able to play as one ourselves, the patch was originally supposed to be released this week, but had to be delayed to next week due to some last minute QA issues.

• Shit x 9
    • decline x 7
    • incline x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Old x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    God this looks SO boring.

• Agree x 14
    • Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron

Atlantico
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Larian. Need I say more?

• Agree x 9
    • Disagree x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darkozric Learned

Darkozric
    So they spent the EA money on fancy sets and cows? Oh I forgot and ugly cinematic scenes, cause let's not forget that ugly cinematic scenes are the reason why BG was a good game.

^ Top  
  5. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Looks fine to me.
    TB-games never look especially exciting in videos, what do you expect?

I prefer normal gameplay videos over the "let's play!" style ones, though... way too much blah blah.

Seriously hope that they change the icons - but they look so draft-like and generic I am optimistic that they are placeholders.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • decline x 2
    • sheeple x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gargaune Scholar

Gargaune
    Jesus Christ, you could probably have a made a full little indie RPG for what they spent on this show. It is a show at this point, replete with props, makeup, musical numbers and cows.

P.S. All that prep and they still had mic troubles! :lol:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Miserable Panda Educated

Miserable Panda
    I hope money for these kind of events comes from Wizards of the Coast or Hasbro, it would be a shame if Larian spends a lot of its resources in these announcements

^ Top  
  8. Kalin Arcane Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Stop posting poz kits you fucking retard.

• Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    It'll be better than Oblivion With Guns, which is what you're a fan of.

• incline x 3
    • No x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. BBMorti Arcane

BBMorti
    Are they catering to furries in our christian BG3? Why was there a cow? If it takes them 4 months to ad a furry class when will this game release?

^ Top  
  11. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Shitposter Developer

Tavernking
    Booba's Gate

[​IMG]

• Excited! x 7
    • incline x 6
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    Still no playable Duergar? :argh:

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nazrim Eldrak Scholar

Nazrim Eldrak
    Please Larian, change the wolf design! It looks like a wild pig and raccoon made a child.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Stop flirting with me please Lilura, the rest of the Codex are starting to notice.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Testownia Auraculum Returns

Testownia
    The Druid class looks very promising, to be honest. Probably the first RPG where shape shifting actually switches up the gameplay to a significant degree.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. dacencora Savant Patron

dacencora
    RPG Wokedex
    I thought that BG3 didn't exist to you and you have wiped all memory of it from your mind?

^ Top  
  17. Sergiu64 Arcane Sad Loser

Sergiu64

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    We'll see. The amount of freedom turning into a bird or a fish gives in PnP would be impossible to reproduce in a video game. If all they give us here in return for turning into a bird the ability to "climb" unclimbable ledges and attack things with claws... its a far cry from what you get in PnP.

^ Top  
  18. InternalRevenue Educated

InternalRevenue
    And also a far cry from what you usually get from video game druids: a different skin and stats and that's it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Testownia Auraculum Returns

Testownia
    Don't forget a single combat feat/special ability.

^ Top  
  20. hilfazer Scholar

hilfazer
    Didn't watch anything from that panel (to not spoil myself) except for Alina Gingertail (4:26):love:

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I hate nuTieflings so much...

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz

I think you are both right.
    It is safe to say that there has never been a softwarehouse committed as Larian in replicating the open-ended nature of tabletop RPGs (their most defining feature if you ask me). The work they've made for the Druid class in BG3 speaks for itself...
    On the other hand, videogames are always videogames. You can't simply have the same amount of freedom you have in a tabletop RPG.
    This is probably the best result we can hope for...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Mi
    missed opportunity to replace the bg3 censor with moo cow head and tongue. Milk makers baby. Yeesh!

^ Top  
  24. Testownia Auraculum Returns

Testownia
    Remember the days when most tieflings were supposed to be hideous, or at least disturbing?

• No x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Skipping over the trailer it seems like they didn't rework the awfull dialogue system yet, where you have to reload when you want to make a skillcheck with a character who is not the leader of the conversation.
    Absolutely baffling, since this should be their number one priority. They changed a lot of good stuff last patch, while this one has glaring omissions like that.

The hag quest they are showcasing there is the one that made me ragequit the beta. The scripting was so broken that the boss never spawned for me.

I guess they said that this patch will have a lot of back end changes.
    But looking over lists that are fluctuating on the net for probable patch notes the entire test seems like a waste of time.

[​IMG]

This isn't even worth going over point by point, since all of it is shit.
    The only thing here that makes the game remotely better is Pathfinding and UI Improvements, and that is vague as fuck.

Overall this made me more pessimistic about the game, but the full patch notes aren't out yet.
    Also it looks like they significantly buffed the Druid, which would be hilarious as Moon Druid is one of the most notoriously overpowered classes from 5e.
    If they increase the power further this might be the Tier 0 class from BG3. The mechanics currently favor it decently well, as you can easily long rest after every major fight.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.