Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Codex Year of the Donut
The talk about them making the Paladin black is stupid given he was black before. I can kind of get missing this in the in-game model, but he's very clearly a black guy in the art for the magazine ad.

full
That doesn't look like official Blizzard artwork to me, lots of ads outsource the art. For a rather infamous example, look at the hairy mutant ad for Fallout.
For reference, these are official Blizzard depictions at the time.
Diablo-10-Things-Fans-Need-To-Know-About-The-Paladin-featured-image.jpg

Looks like some kind of north african/arab/indian/possibly Ethiopian.
You are right rusty, we do need a cope button badly. Also the pic on the left looks almost exactly like Cafu the soccer player.
You'd have to be blind to think that looks remotely like this
image.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

The Paladin always looked fucking stupid as a dark skinned guy that even 20 years ago the reason I didn't try him until like 3-4 characters in was because he didn't look like a knight and started off with these dumb looking gay green pants.

Should've made him look similar to the D1 Warrior or made him a proper blonde haired and Caucasian skinned warrior of LIGHT.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
vorvpyz21oi61.jpg

poor folks on the internet... they try but they don't know that all is futile because they fight ideology and not poor taste.

upload_2021-2-21_7-26-25.png

or is it hope?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Just remember the cool BNet lounge for D2 will probably not exist and there will be no more chat gem to click on like a lunatic.

LabRat

Learned
They're try to make these character model look more realistic, but always Ignore their attractive.

Keyboard Vomit

And like i said this is probably mostly due to censoring in various different countries especially for chinese market which hates nudity.
The chinamen are white and completely hypnotized by the vipers called women. They put the based Uyghurs in concentration camps for telling them to tone down the cooming. Look at the filth they are making!

Chinese movies are also filled with completely unrealistic female beauty standards. All women in them are too slim and look like dolls and they also lack diversity. Tencent ownership in Blizzard is the reason the women still look too lurid and if not for that they would be dressed properly with realistic armors, no boob armor or bare thighs. The sorceress would have a real robe instead of looking like some silly belly dancer and the assassin wouldn't have a big unrealistic hole in her leather armor. Belly dancers don't belong in gothic horror!

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Paladin was obviously black. Even his voice actor is black. Did a bunch of you unwittingly ~gasp~ play as a black man in a video game :lol:

Not sure why any of that matters though. You can hardly see anybody's face in-game and as far as voices go they all had great VA.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The talk about them making the Paladin black is stupid given he was black before. I can kind of get missing this in the in-game model, but he's very clearly a black guy in the art for the magazine ad.

full
That doesn't look like official Blizzard artwork to me, lots of ads outsource the art. For a rather infamous example, look at the hairy mutant ad for Fallout.

You are right rusty, we do need a cope button badly. Also the pic on the left looks almost exactly like Cafu the soccer player.

I wouldn't have any issue with the Paladin looking like a mutt like Cafu.

cafu-brazil-17-june-2002-H9F7NF.jpg

This would have been a reasonable compromise if they wanted to turn him more black, rather than some oogabo-caricature of a black man.

Codex Year of the Donut
The Paladin was obviously black. Even his voice actor is black. Did a bunch of you unwittingly ~gasp~ play as a black man in a video game :lol:

Not sure why any of that matters though. You can hardly see anybody's face in-game and as far as voices go they all had great VA.

Nice argument. I agree wholeheartedly.
But if you'll do me a favor, here's the voice actor for the Barbarian in Diablo 2 taken directly from the credits:
iWJssih.png

can you go type that name exactly in your favor search engine and go to the images tab and tell me what results you get?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It is 1:1 remaster not remake. Old engine runs in background. So there is nothing really to show because everything will be as you remember from D2 aside from graphics.

Old engine is nowhere to be found. Diablo 2 source code has been lost, according to David Brevik and others. Vicarious Visions is taking Diablo 3/4 engine and upgrading it so it can handle per-class items, real town portals, dungeon randomization, and all the other superior features that were missing from Diablo 3, at the same time as they try and match Diablo 2's visuals and approximate its damage/armor/weapons/spell timings/etc.

It is a tremendous and almost heroic task.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Nice argument. I agree wholeheartedly.
But if you'll do me a favor, here's the voice actor for the Barbarian in Diablo 2 taken directly from the credits:
iWJssih.png

can you go type that name exactly in your favor search engine and go to the images tab and tell me what results you get?

Cool story.

The Paladin VA being and sounding black is a value add to the aesthetic of him actually being black.

full

You don't think the official art they used in ads for the original game and the expansion pack look like official art, and then you post the one thing they had Keith Parkinson do for Diablo 2?

full
full

full

full

Paladin concept art:

JqjXMb4xQ4HYk9dXgFAS5Guy1BHv7WC2syoF68hpfWA.jpg

The Paladin looks black in both of those drawings too. Although in the concept art he looks younger, and in the other drawing he looks like they were going for something along the lines of Jim Brown or Fred Williamson in the '70s.

Ethiopians are black, and I'd guess that's what they were going for with the original Diablo 2 Paladin.

Harthwain

Magister
Funny how the times change. Back in my day we played as a class, not as a race.

vorvpyz21oi61.jpg

poor folks on the internet... they try but they don't know that all is futile because they fight ideology and not poor taste.

View attachment 17840

or is it hope?
If you need a face app to fix a model made by a developer, then I don't think there is much hope left. Refunded was proof enough that Blizzard is dead. What's left now is Activision and they have no idea what they are doing. Other than trying to cash in on Blizzard's glorious past.

Codex Year of the Donut

full

You don't think the official art they used in ads for the original game and the expansion pack look like official art, and then you post the one thing they had Keith Parkinson do for Diablo 2?

full
full

full

full

Paladin concept art:

The Paladin looks black in both of those drawings too. Although in the concept art he looks younger, and in the other drawing he looks like they were going for something along the lines of Jim Brown or Fred Williamson in the '70s.

Ethiopians are black, and I'd guess that's what they were going for with the original Diablo 2 Paladin.
yes, looks identical to this, you're correct
image.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
:nocountryforshitposters:

Honestly what the hell is this discussion. Did some of you have messed up gamma/brightness settings on your monitors?

He's black in the game. This is the first time I've ever seen anybody suggest otherwise.

upload_2021-2-21_0-44-32.png

upload_2021-2-21_0-44-39.png

sser

Arcane
Developer

full

full
full

full

full

Paladin concept art:

yes, looks identical to this, you're correct
image.png

You can argue a point I never made to me if you want, but it seems pretty pointless.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:nocountryforshitposters:

Honestly what the hell is this discussion. Did some of you have messed up gamma/brightness settings on your monitors?

He's black in the game. This is the first time I've ever seen anybody suggest otherwise.

View attachment 17848

View attachment 17849

I said this earlier in the thread, but still.

I also always thought he looked fairly black, but more North African. Something like a Berber.

Point was more that the new design just looks like a lazy Tyrone style design.

Harthwain

Magister
I don't remember India being in Diablo 2.
From Diablo II manual:

On the eastern edge of the Twin Seas lie the emerald jungles of Kehjistan. Several thousand years ago, hunter-gatherers found themselves drawn to the lush, fertile rain forests and bountiful game inhabiting Kehjistan. But there was something else; Kehjistan’s geography was rife with nodes of magical energies, and eventually those with innate, arcane abilities began to sense and recognize these forces, gathering in groups to settle these special areas. It was here that the original mage clans, the Vizjerei, the Ennead and the Ammuit, were founded. Unfortunately the history of Kehjistan is not a peaceful one, and the Mage Clan Wars that erupted nearly destroyed the clans.

Geographically, Kehjistan encompasses almost one-third of Sanctuary’s eastern hemisphere. With an average rainfall of over four hundred inches per year, Kehjistan has the largest rainforests in the known world. This huge expanse of jungle feeds the Argentek River, which is the longest, widest river in Sanctuary. Hundreds of smaller rivers and tributaries twist and turn their way through the lush tropical forests until they finally unite with the mighty Argentek. Herbalists and alchemists revere the rainforest environment for its ecological diversity. Until recently, these sages would come from far and wide to study and collect the rare plants and animals that make their homes here. Now the jungle is far too dangerous to visit, let alone inhabit. Entire villages, even small cities have been wiped out. News has broken that Kurast, the current capitol of Kehjistan, is now under siege by the powers of Hell, and is kept safe only through powerful magical barriers that even now begin to ebb and fade.
About Kurast:

The architecture of the stone buildings resemble a Meso-American theme of the Mayans and other Central American civilizations

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom