Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
seems pointless to me.

That’s what happens when you miss the point. I’d think you’d be used to the feeling by now.

toroks

Educated
The succubus starts out with some humble stats...
  • Strength: 13
  • Dexterity: 22
  • Constitution: 16
  • Intelligence: 18
  • Wisdom: 14
  • Charisma: 21
I doubt I can resist respeccing a badass bard out of her...

Desiderius

Patron
Speaking of getting owned, headed to the Gargoyle Cave where I've gotten nothing but, and haven't been able to figure out why until now.
Oppressor's Gloves.jpg

Oh wait, forgot I also got owned here. I've tried this area before early on Hard and got mauled then too. Pet Smilos lost two attacks, but not these guys, and they were ignoring this Stagger and Wolj's Images too (they would have torn through them fast in any case).

On the other hand these Gloves are cool, find them at the new mysterious Chilly Creek area. My guess is that is a quest location for Evil players, but only a guess.

SmiloDisaster.jpg

Once I saw that 28 vs 41 I knew I was in trouble. Maybe Fighting Defensively would've helped? About the only thing these guys aren't Immune to is Blind and with Stagger doing nothing things went south in a hurry right through the Glitterdust Blind. Lann still took down two of them but MC died and reload.

Can probably just nuke them if you need the (Keen +2 Long)bow. Lann's got Aspect of Falcon this time so no need. Next time will try Slow as well. Will is weak Save. On second thought if Wolj starts slicing instead of casting useless Grease that probably helps too.

Wolj Charge Gargleric.jpg

So Garg cave starts with wave to north then the Cleric and his crew drop down to the South. Wolj Charges down as soon as Cleric lands and Lann also starts lighting him up. Looks like overkill but also notice the flat-footed, debuff, and lack of Smite Good bonus. So far plan going great. But notice the Hunter in the middle getting off the Smite Good. That gives him +4 AC/Saves/AB vs Good and I hadn't figured that out yet so he was mysteriously tough to deal with. Not the first time I've run into that problem familiar feeling in Cave. But Why were Woj (usually have Sos here) and Lann so effective against the Cleric?

NewNenioFails.jpg

Nenio gets kind of unlucky here, but the 19SR on the adds is a big headache for my usual CC strategy of Rainbow Pattern. As does having a bunch of HKs running aorund attacking random things. Starting to get a little worried. I know what's coming.

Stunning Barrier on Wolj does trigger, so that part of plan working well. Quickly burn down that guy and head north for next wave.

Wolj begins.jpg

Wolj ended up taking out that whole side of the fight himself (NPC Yaker was right there with him and did pretty well. Might be worth a Bless Weapon or something on him to help him to bypass DR), on Hard, after Lann interrupted that Hold Person headed his way. He should wear the Immunity Headband for this fight.

Wolj and Yaker.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot, he has Smite Chaos, and since the game thinks NPCs are foes he gets the Hard stat boosts. Doesn't let him bypass DR/Good tho, which is a problem for HKs.

Note: Gargs are Monstrous Humanoids not Demons so anti-Demon stuff like Crusader's Edge doesn't work either.

Getting owned by Smite.jpg

Bug Report is because Stunning Barrier is not supposed to be affected by SR. MC takes a shot so look at log and surprised it's this close, but had just come from premature Smilo fight so was just thinking MC too fragile and didn't notice that Smite Good yet. So try to keep her out of aggro and end up getting burned for it.

MC Down.jpg

The High Cleric is a bad dude but has no SR and Nenio actually got him with a Rainbow Pattern but Lann randomly woke him up with a big crit and he immediately released an Enervation he'd been waiting to cast a drained four levels from MC. MC gets low tries to run, triggers AoO and dies. (this is why you keep a Grace spell memorized or on a scroll). I had Death's Door on because this sort of shit has happened before. Glad I've finally figured it out and won't have to cheat a little next time. In any event not like I've got this thing in the bag in any event.

Seelah's having the same problems MC is, Wolj has taken some hits slaughtering seven dudes single-handedly, Ember mysteriously can't beat a save, and Nenio feels like she cant' penetrate shit.

Lann in trouble.jpg

Even Lann's feeling the heat. Was totally convinced I was going down here. That would be two wipes in a row after the lvl 14 Smilos. Maybe Gregz and Porky had a point. Maybe I just suck. Maybe both...

Rainbow Nenio.jpg

Hmm, the wrong Rainbow Pattern pic. This one did help Wolj clear all these clowns out though. Pretty good Save battle for level seven.

Anyway she got a nice one off below, (she has the Wiz Object that lets you recall spells so effectively has four casts) to save our bacon.

The real tank.jpg

That and finally realizing Crispy had been standing around chasing his tail most of the fight. She protects her master (he's not a full ZA this time so no PBMaster yet = no tanking). Looks like it's DR/Magic since Magic Fang Crispy did full damage while Yaker's MW Dagger didn't.
Lann does his thing and we go home very happy since I finally figured out what the hell was causing me to get owned so badly by this fight. If your Good characters say they're boycotting the expedition to save the Hellknights, let them. Things will go much, much easier for you.

Desiderius

Patron
Naice. Got suspended for a week from Owlcat Forums for challenging the Holy Enduring Spells Mythic Ability/Vivi/Community Domain holy triumvirate. Was on thin ice because previously questioned splashing, including the high holy Monk splash.

Groupthink so hard it hurts there. Though do have some decent dudes.

As with Steam they want a week they get eternity. I'm nothing if not generous.

Jackpot

Learned
This isn't necessarily a problem specifically for this game, but I've noticed that a lot of characters in modern CRPGs are just walking backstories that make wry jabs now and then.
Like lets see from the pool of companions I have so far:
  • A paladin that grew up on the streets that frequently makes joking/wry comments.
  • A monk from an underground tribe of half-demons that very frequently makes joking/wry comments.
  • A former cultist that is drawn to power from an underground tribe of half-demons that frequently makes joking/wry comments.
  • A tiefling thief that very frequently makes joking/wry comments.
  • A kitsune scientist that frequently makes joking/wry comments disguised as collecting observations.
  • An over-indulgent immoral priest from a rich family that frequently makes joking/wry comments.
  • Witch girl who is nice.

It makes the characters feel less unique when they all barely take anything seriously.
I've only played a little bit of the beta so far though, so this might change.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
They’re headed to Larianville as fast as that smarmy CEO guy can take them. Still feel like some of the writers are fighting for something real but that may be reality for many of them.

Naice. Got suspended for a week from Owlcat Forums for challenging the Holy Enduring Spells Mythic Ability/Vivi/Community Domain holy triumvirate. Was on thin ice because previously questioned splashing, including the high holy Monk splash.

They hated him because he told the truth. Unless you're on Unfair there is literally no reason to take a vivi dip and even then if you're not a retard you don't need it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Man Balor just popped like pinata, Aru is too much. And stupid Lann stealing my show with his maximised saint crap crits.

All and all my calculashuns were correct tho, the Tristriam checkpoint brought us Good Hope and tons of Hastes and cheap empowered rays to throw all day, and right before Balor we checked on +2 Great Magic Weapon which was quite helpful. Outsourcing a lot of buffs into party allowed for dozen or snowballs, with some empowered flame rays, azata rays, as well as slows, buffs, and acid pits. Even obsidian flow turned out to be useful a few times. After ignoring ice immunity and mythic empower, I think it's time for sorcerous reflex now.

Imagine how shitty your life is, you carry, buff party, summon, evil eye, shoot bow, and there is that dumb Azata bitch who just stands behind you all day and throws snowballs at everything.

(Don't listen to me it's terrible, roll a fighter or something.)

Codex Year of the Donut
They’re headed to Larianville as fast as that smarmy CEO guy can take them.
Shadowheart is the complete opposite of any WotR companion though. She explicitly refuses to tell you anything about her backstory and even gets angry if you pry.
Come to think of it, they're pretty much all like that. It's rather strange and rude for someone you meet to immediately inquire about your life history.

WotR suffers from the same thing the pillows games suffered from. The companions are basically interactive one-dimensional books. Durance and Grieving Mother excepted.
I hope Owlcat isn't locking themselves in their echo chambers and reading actual critiques. I'd rather this be a good game than another dumpsterfire.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
to me she seems specifically written for tabletop players who always romance her and thirst after her.
Well, that's the point, isn't it? For Arueshalae in her puritanical American version the main hero is some jesus trying to redeem a mary magdalene. So he has to persevere in the face of lust for her flesh and continue to gaslight her to "redemption". I do not know the details of her "good" path (which means abandoning her sexual freedom and demonic nature, I guess), but the first step is quite obvious: not only the sinner should withstand the temptation, but the redeemer as well.

She explicitly refuses to tell you anything about her backstory and even gets angry if you pry.
A Baron can execute a reluctant talker. A Crusade commander... I don't know, but execution sounds nice. The Watcher is a different matter, but at least in the Pillars I people were coming to the main character longing for answers that only the Watcher can give.

So in general I find it quite natural for a Chosen MC to get all the information from companions right away. Otherwise - why are they here and still alive?

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Unless you're on Unfair there is literally no reason to take a vivi dip and even then if you're not a retard you don't need it.

They've started whispering such things among themselves but they weren't ready for the true heresy: Vivi dip is actively bad.

Codex Year of the Donut
Unlike Kingmaker there are A LOT of narrow corridors in WotR.
That's disappointing. Why's the level design getting worse?
because their target audience doesn't actually play the game, they just stare at the character creation screen

also, full 3D camera requires environments to be developed differently
it's just like that thing rusty was talking about.

Desiderius

Patron
to me she seems specifically written for tabletop players who always romance her and thirst after her.
Well, that's the point, isn't it? For Arueshalae in her puritanical American version the main hero is some jesus trying to redeem a mary magdalene. So he has to persevere in the face of lust for her flesh and continue to gaslight her to "redemption". I do not know the details of her "good" path (which means abandoning her sexual freedom and demonic nature, I guess), but the first step is quite obvious: not only the sinner should withstand the temptation, but the redeemer as well.

Hurr, durr, Karishchuns are proods.

Lann, did you get your takes from a second-rate Peoria faculty lounge circa 1977?

Luckily for you they're now also the official dogma of Globohomocorp, so you have a lucrative career ahead of you spouting vapid bullshit should you ever choose to pursue it.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the point of it, it can't actually turn short buffs that matter into 24h? And what do you want to run more than an hour anyway?
It's a tax for greater enduring, which can be nice for minute/level buffs though I doubt it's usually better than taking something else. I still take it on clerics because I'm lazy and only want to cast archon's aura (and some other stuff) once.

If you're merging spellbooks I guess you can eventually get to CL 25, which is enough to get round/level spells to 5 minutes with extend, so it's probably worth it then.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unlike Kingmaker there are A LOT of narrow corridors in WotR.
That's disappointing. Why's the level design getting worse?

I mean having different environment with different tactical possibilities is actually... a good thing? There is for example no reason why archer wall section in a fortress wall be able to freely accommodate 4 enlarged people with 3 pets you know?

If anything I consider that the fact I need to adjust strategy due to the environment is incline.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
As long as enemies just A-move at you, you can fight wherever you want. Bait with an 80 move speed leopard while everyone else is on hold position 2 screens away.

Testownia

So far I'm rather disappointed by the Azata Path in terms of story development. Outside of Aivu he is, by all means, just a less effective and fun Trickster Path. No flavour to himself. Mechanics are fine, though.

On the other hand, the Swarm Path seems more and more like straight-up fetish fuel for gore and vore "fans". All his datamined dialogue boils down to kill/eat/taunt, and then kill or eat.

Parabalus

Arcane

Monk splash is a lot better than Vivi splash though. Especially in KM, where LG is already OP and you get the 5 dodge robes on top.

Testownia

Pink Eye here s painting for u.

iepEfEe.jpg

OK.

dkZLidg.jpg

Here is my problem with the succubus,
it happens with no other character, whoever wrote her character seems to want you to have sex with her. Her descriptions, the options your character often has around her. I think this is merely a symptom, a microcosm of those who play the tabletop and who have romanced her on the adventure path, it seems geared towards that angle. Anyway, that's just my opinion. To me, it's weird to want to romance a succubus that's clearly struggling and attempting to recover from her past life of dark degeneracy, but again this is just my opinion.

:hmmm:

It is a fucking succubus....their whole existence is about getting to have sex with you. You can't be serious!

What's strange to me (and yes, I know it's according to Pathfinder canon, but still) is that you can even have sex with her. Seems to me like offering cocaine to an addict - something which you should avoid at all costs. What's worse is that the various conversations acknowledge that her being horny for you is tempting her back into her darker thoughts. So Owlcat is trying to get the best of both worlds - the living embodiment of the "Madonna Whore Complex" and a story about a creature trying to break away from its dark past. Those two don't mesh.

PrettyDeadman

Should I play this one if I didnt finish the first one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom