Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

cruel

Cipher
Switch version is 75% off currently. Worth buying, or should I wait for re-listing on Steam?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Switch version is 75% off currently. Worth buying, or should I wait for re-listing on Steam?

Do you want to play a dramatically worse looking and performing version to avoid using a different PC software store? That's kind of a decision no one can make for you really. If you're asking about the game, it's pretty good... pretty damn good if you like the idea of atmospheric detective cthulu stuff.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's DRM free on Gamesplanet and DRM'd on Origin and Frogwares' website, I believe. Not sure if it's anywhere else.

cruel

Cipher
For anybody interested, the game is 70% off on ps store currently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

cruel

Cipher
So, I started playing this, and... mixed feelings so far. Atmosphere is great, sound effects are nice, but after first nice impression the world seems extremely empty - you can't speak with 90% of people can't enter most of the houses, etc. Also, the whole salvaging aspect - after few hours of exploring, I'm already maxed out on most of the crafting supplies, so further exploring makes no sense. Infested areas are too hard, 'Letters from Oakmont' also too hard, so basically not much to do. Should I assume that first half of the game should be just spent on the main plot and nothing else?

Also, some of the houses seem strange. You enter, you hear some horrific noises that almost make you go away - you proceed and explore, and after exploring whole house there is nothing there :| Not sure if it's a bug, expected design to scare you without reason, or something will appear there further into the story? A good example of that is a house you can access from the boat, Eastern Grimhaven, Whisper Street.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I started playing this, and... mixed feelings so far. Atmosphere is great, sound effects are nice, but after first nice impression the world seems extremely empty - you can't speak with 90% of people can't enter most of the houses, etc. Also, the whole salvaging aspect - after few hours of exploring, I'm already maxed out on most of the crafting supplies, so further exploring makes no sense. Infested areas are too hard, 'Letters from Oakmont' also too hard, so basically not much to do. Should I assume that first half of the game should be just spent on the main plot and nothing else?

Also, some of the houses seem strange. You enter, you hear some horrific noises that almost make you go away - you proceed and explore, and after exploring whole house there is nothing there :| Not sure if it's a bug, expected design to scare you without reason, or something will appear there further into the story? A good example of that is a house you can access from the boat, Eastern Grimhaven, Whisper Street.
I think you'll have a better time if you stay mostly on target. Despite the huge map and all the side missions, this isn't an open world toy box. There's no reason to break into every house you see, or ask for the life story of some rando on the street, no bowling alley nor fishing minigame. You call it empty, I call it focused. You're a detective on a case, act like it and go where the clues are.

This isn't to say there's nothing off the main track. If you see an open door, it means there is something to see in there. If you find giant monsters, it's perfectly okay to leave and come back later better equipped. Also note that some of these locations will have story content that might not appear until later, so if you find an empty building, it's not a bug. Remember too that empty spaces are part of good horror.

It's true that you'll spend most of the game with your inventory full and you won't have a need to search every barrel and dig through every trash can. To me this is a good thing. I think there are upgrades that increase your carrying capacity too, but it's not something to worry about. Sometimes you'll run low on ammo and that's when you need to pay attention to loot. Otherwise, relax.

You'll want to (eventually) get gud at navigating infested areas. This doesn't mean killing everything in sight with a rocket launcher, it means sizing up the enemies, picking your fights and learning when and how to run past them, lure them out of your way etc., and yes, kill them when the odds are right. Sometimes you will need to just plain fucking run away and that's okay too. Think Silent Hill, not Call of Duty.

Learn to use all your tools like the traps and so forth, not just guns. It gets easier, but not if you don't test yourself and learn. By the end of the game you'll have enough personal skill and upgrades that it won't be a big deal.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Steam key can be bought at GMG for 12€. Apparently an all-time low.
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-sinking-city-steam-pc/

Makes me wonder if game is going to pop up at Humble Monthly any time soon or if devs are looking to earn some money after all their publisher shenanigans.

It's also available back on steam. Forums are full of speculations that it is not the Frogwares entry, but their publisher trying to cash in on the game (apparently steam id is different to the on that has been taken down, and there are no DLC's or Deluxe Edition listed along with the game).

ferratilis

Magister
The case is still in court, no ruling has been made yet. Nacon fucked up here by selling a cracked version. We'll see what happens next, but Valve is also not completely innocent here either. How do you even let a game be sold on your platform without a proper background check?

Dexter

Arcane
The case is still in court, no ruling has been made yet.
https://games.mxdwn.com/news/french...n-over-frogwares-in-the-sinking-city-dispute/
French Court Rules in Favor of Nacon over Frogwares in The Sinking City Dispute
7c38659db7d853441b57ed37e50fd587
Cassidy Hidalgo January 10th, 2021 - 9:22 PM

The-Sinking-City-Featured-770x470.jpg

The Sinking City, a detective game inspired by author H.P. Lovecraft, has been caught in the middle of a dispute between Nacon, the game’s publisher, and Frogwares, the game’s developer. Just a year after its release in 2019, The Sinking City was delisted from most digital stores. The game was recently put back on the Xbox Store after a French court ruled in favor of Nacon in this nasty quarrel. However, the game will not be back on Steam or PlayStation until a later date.

According to developer Frogwares, the falling-out with their publisher started during production. They made an agreement with Nacon that granted the publisher the right to sell the game in exchange for a financial contribution to development, as well as “payments for each production milestone completed.” However, Frogwares claims that Nacon did not honor that agreement:

During production, BBI/Nacon was hundreds and hundreds of days behind in payments in total. Each sum due on average being 40 days late, while our milestones were always on time and approved by the licensee. We had to issue formal notices multiple times so that we were able to receive the money that was owed to us.

Nacon has also released a statement over The Sinking City issue. The statement saying the Paris Court of Appeal ruled “that Frogwares had terminated the contract in a “manifestly unlawful” manner and, as a result, ordered, as a “precautionary measure, the continuation of the contract (…) until its term or until a decision is made on the breach of this contract and ordered Frogwares Ireland to refrain from any action on the breach of this contract and ordered Frogwares Ireland to refrain from any action that impedes this continuation (…).”

This ruling basically means Frogwares must comply with their original contract, giving Nacon the ability to sell the game again The situation is definitely messy, but if you weren’t able to grab The Sinking City before its delisting, you might be in luck. The Sinking City is still available for the Nintendo Switch and can be found on Origin and Gamesplanet.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
is origin still the only place to buy an actual legit copy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom