Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Tigranes

Arcane
I agree with you, but what Bethesda games also provide which allow people to overlook many of the bugs is the modability of their games. I doubt that otherwise they'd be as succesful.

The millions of console players know nothing of any mods. :M
Well, console players are either casuals engaging in some good ol' consoooming or clinically retarded. Beyond their console exclusives, they probably just buy whatever's already popular with the PC crowd.

OK, but "what millions of casual console players choose to buy and don't buy" is exactly what's in question for the success of post-Morrowind TES, no? There's a very clear appeal to a game like Skyrim that people feel they can easily pick up and play without knowing a whole lot about the systems, and they feel like there's tons of things to do (even if they are all inevitably shallow) and there's a lush world to spend hours traversing without anything really getting in the way and breaking the gameplay loop. That's a very different appeal from most RPGs with any kind of system complexity, tactical challenge or C&C, all of which require meaningful failure states.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
The appeal of Bethesda games is wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.
And retards love to jump around in puddles.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The masses just want big and pretty open worlds to fart around in. Bethesda games are far from the worst ones. For all their flaws, they offer a hell of a lot more reactivity and are a lot more gameplay focused than shit like Horizon Zero Dawn.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Josh's is an amazing story of how a competent and experienced game designer can fall due to hubris combined with confirmation bias from listening to casuals and SJWs (in his favorite forum).

Testownia

I think Sawyer said it somewhere recently, he dislikes making things canon. I'd imagine that's a roundabout way of saying his team had all these grand ideas of making big sequels to these massively successful games, and they didn't want to paint themselves into a corner. They were saving all these big dramatic events for the next big production..... that will never come. It's like that other thread on here, biggest mysteries in dragon age that you want revealed in the next sequel. No one cares now. They had their chance but they kept looking to the horizon while ignoring the shit on their shoes.

Dragon Age Inquisition was a big sales success, Bioware's biggest selling game at that time. Not sure where this idea of it being a failure that ruined the series comes from, other than just the Codex opinion that the game sucks (which I share mostly, but it means zippo). People will generally be excited to see the presumed Tevinter/Solas stuff come to a head in 4.

The trailer looks somewhat promising, as long as they keep the city aesthetics presented in the trailer. Has there ever been a fantasy game actually set within a decadent city?

Testownia

souls games would fit?

Not really, since the cities are just ruins occupied by hordes of enemies. MAYBE Athkatla, but that's a very large MAYBE, since the city gives off more of a Middle Eastern vibe.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why did Josh get a 35k raise last year? It apparently didn't come with a title change, and he hasn't shipped anything since 2018. Obsidian QAs probably make less than 35k/year.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hopefully that means his next RPG will have the possibility to "fail forwards" like Disco Elysium.

Then again that might be too self-reflexive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom