Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos expansion revealed, coming March 17th

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
No one is silent. Industry legends Boyarsky and Cain's dream project turned out to be The Cuck Worlds, a shameful display none will remember in 5 years.

There.
I remember hearing Boyarsky and the fag were reuniting under Obsidian's flag. I was pretty excited at the time, back when I wasn't as blackpilled as I am now.

Also I ran into this. My, my Infinitron, you post on the Obsidian forums as well?
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/9...uilding-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid/

:prosper::killit:

Tim Cain declaring the good things of Fallout, a "mistake".

What a fucking fag (and I don't mean that he likes men)
A while ago I was watching a live stream on Twitch, where Cain and Boyarsky were answering questions from fans.

Boyarsky blurted out as a response (paraphrased) "I have no idea why people like Fallout and the lame gameplay. Modern games are much better."

I was really shocked to hear him say that. Truly a freudian slip moment. IIRC Cain didn't say anything and just sat there, so I suppose he was in agreement.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Being a murder mystery is sounds as though it will be awful short. The price of 15 dollars for something only a couple hours long seems ridiculous.
Peril on Gorgon's main quest is 4 hours, 14-17 if you do everything. This will be the same.

This game is a total indictment against the people who champion the design philosophies of these leads over Sawyer et al. But we knew that ever since Cain designed the horror that is PoE's stronghold

As much as I like to take down Tim a peg or two, the stronghold's design was all Sawyer, Cain just programmed it https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/chris-avellone-appreciation-station.101693/page-175#post-5510677

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How’s that Arcanum loving Codex is silent about the fact that Troika’s two thirds name this turd their dream game?

No one is silent. Industry legends Boyarsky and Cain's dream project turned out to be The Cuck Worlds, a shameful display none will remember in 5 years.

There.
There's just not much to be said about it.

It isn't so bad that you could write essays about its many abysmal failures.
And it absolutely isn't good enough to write any praises.

It's just very, very mediocre. With involuntarily funny writing.
That just doesn't warrant getting all raged up about.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just wasted 5 minutes of my life watching some of that speed run video... are there literally "quest" markers to point you to every door or passageway (every 5 feet) the designers want you to go on screen let alone the actual quest location?!! Has it come that far that even a stupid quest marker on a map is too hard for a player to use?!!! Are all new games like this now? :negative: Let alone that ridiculousness, the world itself looks bland, empty and lifeless. I guess I'm late to the critique party on this game... goes back to patiently waiting for Skald.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
are there literally "quest" markers to point you to every door or passageway (every 5 feet) the designers want you to go on screen let alone the actual quest location?!! Has it come that far that even a stupid quest marker on a map is too hard for a player to use?!!!

Yes, that is normal now. You can turn that shit off cause it's ugly as fuck, but it's normal. Quest markers in the middle of the screen constantly telling you where to go so you just have to follow the arrow.

Almost all AAA RPGs these days do that.

The decline is real.

Codex Year of the Donut
are there literally "quest" markers to point you to every door or passageway (every 5 feet) the designers want you to go on screen let alone the actual quest location?!! Has it come that far that even a stupid quest marker on a map is too hard for a player to use?!!!

Yes, that is normal now. You can turn that shit off cause it's ugly as fuck, but it's normal. Quest markers in the middle of the screen constantly telling you where to go so you just have to follow the arrow.

Almost all AAA RPGs these days do that.

The decline is real.
Chad Assassin's Creed
ac-odyssey-exploration-mode.jpg
vs Virgin Twitcher

Repressed Homosexual
I really don't get people calling The Outer Worlds a turd. It had a good mix of world building, exploration, intriguing quests, not too much of a need to look in everything. I was definitely satisfied of my time playing it.

I think though that these bite sized DLCs are never good. Nobody wants to play $15 for 3-4 hours of new gameplay. And the very fact that it will be so tiny means it will be underwhelming. Expansions should be standalone only like they were 20 years ago.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I just wasted 5 minutes of my life watching some of that speed run video... are there literally "quest" markers to point you to every door or passageway (every 5 feet) the designers want you to go on screen let alone the actual quest location?!! Has it come that far that even a stupid quest marker on a map is too hard for a player to use?!!! Are all new games like this now? :negative: Let alone that ridiculousness, the world itself looks bland, empty and lifeless. I guess I'm late to the critique party on this game... goes back to patiently waiting for Skald.
They get the most retarded fucking idiots for playtesting and then make the games around them and the gayjournos.

"People would just walk around during playtesting of the 'Lady Boyle' mission," Dishonored executive producer Julien Roby said. "They didn't know what to do. They didn't even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn't. They'd say, 'Okay, I can't go upstairs.' They wouldn't do anything."
They need to be told where to go and what to do every 5 seconds or their brains just stop working.

jackofshadows

Magister
You know--just thinking out loud here--but if Microsoft bought Obsidian and then bought Bethesda, wouldn't that unify the IP rights to Fallout and Fallout New Vegas, allowing the creation of Fallout New Vegas 2?

It's like a license to print money. Tim, Leonard, Josh, Feargus, hop to it!
I even checked the thread name (there was specific one about acquisition by Microsoft nearby) so yeah, good one.
:negative:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Chad Assassin's Creed

A faux option. Togglable quest markers are retarded, they shouldn't even be a thing, a game is either designed around not having quest markers or not. Odyssey is the perfect example - the description will only give you the general area of the quest but then NPCs are still gonna be sporting that exclamation mark over their heads, otherwise you'd never find them in the sea of boring interchangeable copypasta NPCs.

Codex Year of the Donut
Chad Assassin's Creed

A faux option. Togglable quest markers are retarded, they shouldn't even be a thing, a game is either designed around not having quest markers or not. Odyssey is the perfect example - the description will only give you the general area of the quest but then NPCs are still gonna be sporting that exclamation mark over their heads, otherwise you'd never find them in the sea of boring interchangeable copypasta NPCs.
cope

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Boyarsky blurted out as a response (paraphrased) "I have no idea why people like Fallout and the lame gameplay. Modern games are much better."

Sometimes these old bums get seduced by decline. Like Sven who said dice are bad or Rolston who praised KoA combat because of tEcHnOlOgY

Last edited:
You know--just thinking out loud here--but if Microsoft bought Obsidian and then bought Bethesda, wouldn't that unify the IP rights to Fallout and Fallout New Vegas, allowing the creation of Fallout New Vegas 2?
Rest assured that Microsoft wants to churn out Fallout games as fast as possible. It is also very possible (very likely IMO) that the Obsidian/Inxile studios will be selected to work on future games in the series.

That said, it would be quite interesting if Microsoft had Cain, Boyarsky, Anderson and Fargo work on the next Fallout sequel...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom