Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Magellania warps out of Early Access

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Hand Drawn; Magellania; Studio Land

Studio Land has released their hand drawn, spacy, sci-fi SRPG Magellania on Steam. It debuts at 40% off, which puts it at $5.99US for those looking to get it on the cheap. Here's the trailer and some info:

Defeat your enemies with the power of love, friendship, and violent military aggression in Magellania, a hardcore tactics-RPG set in outer space.

This game looks like one of most odd games I've taken a look at recently. Clear your mind, watch the trailer, then ask yourself what you just watched. Not in a bad way, mind you. It's just very unique.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I saw the helmet and name and thought: COOL! An rpg on discovering the world and trade.
AT1KDHg.jpg

just not so....

Ah well, its colorful.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like the look.
It looks more like a childrens fairytale book than that disgusting callart tumblr cartoon style.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bought this and half a dozen other small/old games.
It is not bad. Very Fire Emblem inspired.

Gameplay:
Units can kill each other fast, often on the first engagement.
Unlike Fire Emblem there is no xp in this game. Instead you loot badges of your enemy. Every badge is an equipable item that has a passive skill. Every unit has 5 badge slots.
As an example on my Knight I currently have Heal After Turn +3 / Throw enemies away with a Shockwave after attack / Parry+ for a Vanguard style character. My Duellist has Pillager to gain gold off kills. My Rifleman has an ability that he can't be counterattacked against by enemy ranged units. It is a nice change to Fire Emblem, since Fire Emblem quickly degrades to xp grinding. You are not really fighting the battle in Fire Emblem, you are trying to get a character to gain as much xp as possible by soloing the map. Here you fight with all you have got, and there is still depth from customisation.
The game starts with 7 distinct unit classes, of which I think one is useless, the other 6 have their uses.
Also maps are very puzzly, a Rifleman will always kill a mage due to high magic resist, a knight will always kill a rifleman due to high armor, a mage will always kill a knight due to mag attack not targeting armor but res. So if a map has a lot of Riflemen you better not field too many clerics and mages.

Other stuff:
Good visuals, adequate writing. Game got me smiling when the mad clown prince decided to invade the planet on the other edge of the solar system first instead of taking the planet I thought would be the next one. Interesting premise. Also the OST has a nice bass riff. Very relaxing.

Contra:
I don't think it is very long however. Also the game has bad control schemes and bad screen tearing. Sometimes you miss turns since the input is a little idiotic, but it doesn't happen all that often. Budget is also clearly very low, probably a 1 person game.

Conclusion:
For the low price I would recommend it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom