Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Is there such a thing as Souls-like?

fork

Mortal Shell is such a shame. Would be the best souls-like if only there would be some content.
Just as you're getting started to enjoy the game, it's over.
It has some other problems of course, like the areas feeling very, very disconnected from one another and being too large and monotonous, and the harden gimmick making combat kinda one-dimensional, but it's mainly too short/not enough content.

I'm surpirsed you like Hellpoint though. That has the opposite problem: Too much low-quality content. I just couldn't be arsed to continue on. Every corridor looked the same, combat was shit and clunky, animations were shit, oh well.. sorry. It's a fucking joke nobody can get Souls right. It really doesn't seem that complicated...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But is it even done yet.

I'm surprised i'm kinda liking Hellpoint too, but keep in mind i went in with abysmal expectations. Was expecting something way worst.

Considering the game isn't sold at AAA price is a respectable effort. Lord's of the Fallen has more of a reason to get flack by being a full AAA product.

Speaking of which, i heard they finally got it right with The Surge 2?

fork

Afaik Mortal Shell has 1 year Epic exclusivity (I played it on Xbox), should come to Steam soon though. Not sure if they plan to release more content, but even if they did, it's just too barebones. It would need more new locations, weapons, enemy types and bosses in the expansion than there are in the main game to make it feel complete.

Hellpoint, well. Yeah, respectable effort for the price and team size, but that doesn't help me, the player, to enjoy the game when it's shit. They also have very many secrets, like, a buttload everywhere, so that's nice. But level design is still bland and unmemorable. That's what everything feels like to me in Hellpoint: A lot of everything, good effort, nice price, but the quality is just too low to be enjoyable.

Haven't played Surge 2 yet, and I don't plan to. I somewhat liked the first one, but Surge 2 looks worse to me. More diverse, less focused, worse level design. And even if some things may be better, it's basically more of the same after all, and I didn't like the first one enough to justify wasting time with the second. So to answer your question: I have no idea, but if you didn't like the first one, I don't think you'd like Surge 2, but I might be wrong. :3

I'm starting to feel burnt out searching for worthy Souls-likes so that I might miss it or be unable to enjoy it should one finally arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruel

Cipher
Haven't played Surge 2 yet, and I don't plan to. I somewhat liked the first one, but Surge 2 looks worse to me. More diverse, less focused, worse level design. And even if some things may be better, it's basically more of the same after all, and I didn't like the first one enough to justify wasting time with the second.

It's a completely different game than the first one, and level design is one of the best aspects of the game, along with combat and exploration. Combat is faster and doesn't have this annoying lag from the first one, enemy variety is much better, more weapons, armor sets, etc. I dropped first Surge after few hours, but had a blast with Surge 2. Don't expect a good story though.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Have you tried Remnant: From the Ashes yet? The combat differs in that prioritizes shooter based combat over melee, but it probably captures the feel and tone of Dark Souls more than most of the Souls-likes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fucking hell i'm still playing Hellpoint.

Just found a secret room that leads outside the station with some goodies in it. I just love this kind of shit, i don't understand why From has moved away from this kind of level design in DS3. It was one of the biggest draws for me in DS1 and one of the reasons i can't make up my mind whether i like DS2 or DS3 better.

The atmosphere of this game is making me claustrophobic though. It really feels like i'm stuck in Downbelow from Babylon 5. Also reminds me of Lexx a bit has that low budget 90s sci-fi feel. All the rooms are the same, shadows and garbage everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom