Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After all this years, Jagged Alliance 2 still has the most complex,diverse and enjoyable gameplay

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

Duralux for Durabux

It truly stands on the Throne among all of them. RPG,Strategy, management,simulation,yet no pretender.
mdOKLI1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
ja2 is larper trash
the mechanics of which outlive their welcome waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the end of the game

its in the same category of gaym as
morronshit
desuex

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Go figure. Sir-Tech were more competent developers than some vegan potato farmers operating out of a yurt.

Everyone agrees with Porky after a while. At first, his brilliant ideas seem shocking, but then they grow on you like a fungus, and next thing you know, all of Codex is old school liberal.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Everyone agrees with Porky after a while. At first, his brilliant ideas seem shocking, but then they grow on you like a fungus, and next thing you know, all of Codex is old school liberal.
You're still dead wrong in regards to Kingmaker though.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I am sticking to Fallout 3. F3 is by far the best RPG out there and everything is trying to imitate it.

GreyViper

Prophet
Never heard Batttle Brothers sorry man. But I'm a simple man, I see Jagged Alliance 2 I brofist. Btw not sure all of the versions work out of the box with Win10, I had 4 different versions Didiriana lives, Urban Chaos, Alpha Items & JA1 conversion that stopped working with Win10 at one point.
But got to agree, it does have infinite replayability with so many mods expanding its lifetime.

Harthwain

Magister
To all the JA2 fanboys who downvoted my post: Battle Brothers > JA2. Prove me wrong.
I didn't vote, but I don't think these two games are easily comparable, even though both of them are excellent on their own.

If anything, one could make a point that Jagged Alliance 2 has more depth, because there are a lot more mechanics at play and they interact more fluidly with one another (from the top of my head and in no particular order):

• You can save your actions points to suprise the enemy on his turn (interruptions). In Battle Brothers it's possible to use some skills to "react" to your enemy (Riposte) or move first on your next turn (Adrenaline), but for the most part your unspent action points are lost and you have to sit on your hands and watch the events unfold.

• You can use an array of ranged weapons, meaning your engagement distance matters a lot more, depending on your weapons of choice. While some of it holds true for Battle Brothers, choices are a lot more binary: "Melee or ranged?", "Two-handed or one-handed?", "Bow or crossbow?". In Jagged Alliance it's possible to have some of your guys cover longer distances, while CQC specialized team deals with tight spaces. In Battle Brothers you mostly fight in a formation, very chess-like. In Jagged Alliance it's a lot more nuanced, because the map's terrain plays way more complex role than "bonus/penalty to attack/defense".

• There is stealth option, so you can set up an ambush (it gets even better when at night and have night vision googles and silencers equipped). In Battle Brothers you don't have stealth. You merely see more or less depending on time of day (and your gear/traits), which is mostly problematic to ranged units as it shortens their engagement range. You can do something about it (Night Owl Elixir), but on the whole you won't see your enemies scrambling to find out where the shooter is at.

• You can spend point to make yourself more accurate (or not, and be able to fire more often). In Battle Brothes you are much more limited in regards to what you can do with your action points. Technically you could unequip a shield to make your single attack that turn more powerful. Or you could attack twice if you kill an enemy on that turn and have a correct perk. But that comes from your gear and your character's abilities, so your action economy is much more restricted (look: interruptions). Sometimes your choice will boil down to "Do I attack or do I attack not, Horatio?", while in Jagged Alliance 2 you can make much more meaningful choice even with the most basic recruit, simply because you can increase your chance to hit or take a gamble and fire more often, leaving you with more action points to do something else (even if it's something as basic as leaving your action points for a future interruption).

Hopefully Overhype Studios' next game will be closer to Jagged Alliance 2 by the virtue of expanding the ideas and features we have seen in Battle Brothers. At least I hope so.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
i always find it hilarious that ja2 fanboys dont actually know how to play the game
and only larp their imaginary mechanics

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
To all the JA2 fanboys who downvoted my post: Battle Brothers > JA2. Prove me wrong.

I don't necessarily agree, but yeah, I don't consider JA2 to be superior to BB. I don't think it has "more depth", although the environments are more unique and dynamic. The enemy composition isn't, though. Also, there's a lot of ways to cheese through JA2, especially vanilla. The AI isn't exactly incredible. You can camp corners or abuse night vision, and so on. You can also do stupid shit like grind your stats to power through encounters. BB as a game barely has any of those kind of flaws. You just don't abuse anyone or anything in BB, the game abuses you.

Some good points. However, I could come back with these:

- Battle Brothers RPG aspects are way more fun and interesting than JA2. The vanilla game has a cool skill/stat/star system, plus a deep perk tree, plus a ton of cool equipment (different armors, weapons, famed items, consumables). In vanilla JA2, without mods (1.13 in particular), the RPG aspects are much more plain and boring.
- Battle Brothers, due to its brutal combat system, RNG aspects, and other design elements, stays challenging and interesting throughout, whereas JA2 can be fairly easily made "manageable" by getting certain very powerful long range weapons and utilizing long distance fighting against AI. There is also, for the same reasons, more build and approach variety in BB, where in JA2, most people will be funneled toward rifles of some type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom