Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hobo: Tough Life risks Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Hobo: Tough Life; Perun Creative

Hobo: Tough Life has been released on Steam. While not a very common setting, it's based on the modern world where you're clearly not the chosen one that's going to save the world. In fact, you're a bum. There's no sale on this one, but it One of the more interesting things I've seen this month. Here's some info:

How far are you willing to go to survive? Steal, burgle, and consort with criminals of all sorts. If necessary, take what you need by force. However, you are not an action hero. Consider your actions carefully, for the consequences are often severe, and benefits rarely outweigh the risks. Most importantly, keep your wits about you. Even if you are not willing to hurt people for personal gain, others are.​

Yeah, I can be a bum king!

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hobo Elf and HoboForEternity - first impressions please? Not sure if it is realistic enough, but looks interesting. Visual style reminds me of HL2 and I've always loved its graphics.
i haven't tried it yet because trails of cold steel 4. i will try this sometime down the line, but probably not soon-ish. after this i plan to replay ELEX and KCD so maybe after those.

hughjayness

Barely Literate
This seems pretty cool! I can't wait to panhandle for money so I can go buy crack

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hobo Elf and HoboForEternity - first impressions please? Not sure if it is realistic enough, but looks interesting. Visual style reminds me of HL2 and I've always loved its graphics.

It's urban open-world survival RPG. Full of stats and skills like stealing, begging, lockpicking, dumpster diving and tons more. Plus your classic survival stuff (hunger, wetness etc.).

There's a very simple turn-based combat but it's not the core of the game. There's a complex crafting system, you can build your own hobo dump.

There are 4 different hobo archetypes you can choose at the start but you have to unlock 3 of them by playing. They have different strengths and weaknesses, the default one has neither.

Two ways of beating the game - survive 3 seasons (every season about 30 hours), with increasing difficulty, or become the King of Hobos. For that you need to secure votes of 6 different factions (drug dealers, alcoholics, idealists etc.) by running their errants and quests. If you don't wanna become the King you can join one of the factions which makes surviving easier. In essence you can play and win the game as a survival sandbox or traditional open-world RPG.

Game is p. hard at the start when you don't know what you're doing. It's actually blowing my mind rn. I'm p. sure it'll get repetitive in those 50-90 hours required to beat it but for the first few hours it's a fucking blast. Plus you can play co-op with up to 4 people, help with crafting, fighting, each joining different factions to speed up the quests etc. P. rad so far.

PS: Not for grapix whores, visuals are very much 2007. With some neat lighting but still.

lightbane

Arcane
Two ways of beating the game - survive 3 seasons (every season about 30 hours), with increasing difficulty, or become the King of Hobos. For that you need to secure votes of 6 different factions (drug dealers, alcoholics, idealists etc.) by running their errants and quests. If you don't wanna become the King you can join one of the factions which makes surviving easier. In essence you can play and win the game as a survival sandbox or traditional open-world RPG.

Can you win the game by getting an honest job and a home?

Is being kidnapped by the government/shady corporations and being experimented upon a potential game over scenario? Can you be an ex-war vet?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Can you win the game by getting an honest job and a home?

I think so. You just join the idealists, make money by doing manual jobs, build your shelter and survive 3 seasons.

Is being kidnapped by the government/shady corporations and being experimented upon a potential game over scenario? Can you be an ex-war vet?
No idea, only 2 hours in, is hard.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I expect this is gonna get a lot of heat from the extremely white upper-middle class demographic (*cough cough* Quarter to Three) where nobody has lived on the streets or met anyone who did but it makes them feel uncomfortable so they think games shouldn't be made about it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Lolwut?

The game has been around for at least 5 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom