Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is even the point of 4k textures?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
While I don't care for them bloating up games myself, there are reasons for it even if you're not on a 4K monitor. Old games, I think Deus Ex at least had two textures for walls, one where you're far away and one where you're close to it. 4k just makes the whole process smoother. Might not be a worthwhile trade-off for you, certainly isn't for me. I haven't really seen any game that makes me go "wow, I want to spend thousands of dollars on a new graphics card and monitor". Personally, I wish people would focus on improving hair and clothing, so they're not just part of a character's model, but modeled separately. That kind of thing deserves to be something more than a tech demo.

Yeah, it's in the crossover between graphics and animation where a lot of works still has to be done IMHO. Janky shoulders and necks, etc., equipment not rattling around as separate stuff, hair and clothing and bodies not being physics-aware, not standing properly on sloped surfaces. Tons of little details in those areas that are more intrusive and annoying now than just sheer graphical fidelity.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That Rage 2 screenshot lmao.

Why do modern games look like low res fuzzy shit even with 50+GB of data?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
They think DoF, bloom, and AI-upscaled faces look good.

Look at this beauty

bawkye5mcet61.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
The point of 4k Textures

1. When I zoom in close I want to see the areola in detail, not some blurred pixelated... mound.
2. When I zoom in close I want to see super fine hair on the arm of a virgin girl character.
3. When I zoom in close I want to see the rare leftover hair on the pubic mound that flitter by when my character move on screen. You get the idea~.

That's the thing of 4K textures. Making 4k textures of objects and scenery? Feh, that's totally off the point~

For example, if there's ever is, and I can apply 4K textures to a game, say Silent Storm. That would be because I want to see some female soldiers of mine wearing Sentinel uniform (bodyhugging lasercut leather).
And not because I want to see explosions in 4K details. Considering the frequency and amount of booms I put on screen, that would be... staggering to my hardware.

Sabotin

Scholar
However much better the more detailed textures look up close they're that much worse when far away. I'm always disappointed going for these mods because they look amazing on screenshots and then in the game you have monocolored blobs with some noise on them with all the detail being pointless. Maybe when we'll have 1k ppi monotors or something?

Zibniyat

Arcane
but you're comparing 4K textures in 720p images.
yshhohsvkc611.jpg

This is 2560x1440, 2.5k, not 4k but closer. There is some minor differences - serial number is now not blurred!

On the other hand, the fact that serial number is blurred even on "very high" settings is already bullshit.

The "ultra" one does have significantly better quality, provided one takes the time to perceive it. It is true that "most of the time", most people do not perceive such differences, but some people (myself included) do make an occasional pause in-game to appreciate the visuals.

The best solution would be to simply offer which installation would one want: regular one of smaller size or the high-quality one of substantially greater size.

mondblut

Arcane
For ground surfaces and similar large objects bigger textures do provide a noticeable benefit of less blur and mud. For smaller objects higher resolution is pointless wanking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom