Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beyond Mankind - first-person sci-fi action RPG by M&B Brytenwalda mod devs

Vlajdermen

Arcane
High fantasy is also the most overused genre in RPGs. You can count (non-post-apoc) sci-fi RPGs on one hand. Mass Effect, Star Wars KotoR, Iron Tower's upcoming Colony Ship, and some obscure indies like Titan Outpost and Space Wreck, as well as some obscure old 80s and 90s games (Planet's Edge, Buck Rogers, Starflight).

Meanwhile you need an entire collection of severed hands to count all the high fantasy RPGs.
The problem isn't that there's not enough sci-fi RPGs, it's that they don't use the genre to its full potential. All the great science fiction novels - Solaris, Roadside Picnic, Dr. Moreau, etc. - have stories that capture your imagination and get you thinking ''what if?''. It makes for very fertile ground for RPGs, but it's often dumbed down to laser guns and space waifus.

That being said, Beyond Mankind could be incline. Its premise fully adresses my complaint, and I have reason to be optimistic.

Sentinel

Arcane
High fantasy is also the most overused genre in RPGs. You can count (non-post-apoc) sci-fi RPGs on one hand. Mass Effect, Star Wars KotoR, Iron Tower's upcoming Colony Ship, and some obscure indies like Titan Outpost and Space Wreck, as well as some obscure old 80s and 90s games (Planet's Edge, Buck Rogers, Starflight).

Meanwhile you need an entire collection of severed hands to count all the high fantasy RPGs.
You're confusing high fantasy with D&D. It's true that there's tons of medieval fantasy RPGs, and RPGs that copy paste Forgotten Realms, but they never use any of the high fantasy elements. It's all brown & grey palette swaps about defeating an ancient evil and it stops there. There's no character exploration, there's no romantic, nostalgic beauty to the world, no reason for anything.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
brytenwalda was an excellent hardcore mod, though the transition from modding to actual game developing is a rocky one.
While the land is littered with the corpses of FPS modders that thought they could actually do a commericial game...I can't actually think of that many RPG modders making the jump. There's the guy who turned his NWN module into a VN, and I'm out of people. I do wonder if these guys have a shot, since I understand there was a lot of pretty good work put into Brytenwalda.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
brytenwalda was an excellent hardcore mod, though the transition from modding to actual game developing is a rocky one.
While the land is littered with the corpses of FPS modders that thought they could actually do a commericial game...I can't actually think of that many RPG modders making the jump. There's the guy who turned his NWN module into a VN, and I'm out of people. I do wonder if these guys have a shot, since I understand there was a lot of pretty good work put into Brytenwalda.

A successful example of modder going commercial is the guy who made the Darthmod series for Total War games. He went on to make Ultimate General and is now working on Ultimate Admiral, and they're pretty good games, too.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's somewhat sad how few replies to their announcement on Facebook and Twitter and also the only thread even Steam forums basically say 'please make a mod/expansion for Bannderlord instead of this thing'.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1301590/discussions/0/2275953283837685375/#c2290590708530906151

Hello guys,

Beyond Mankind mixes science fiction with history (prehistory if you look at the screenshots). An intriguing story taking place in divergent settings will combine action role-playing with survival mechanics.

This does not mean that in the future there will be no more Viking or Dark Age games, we love that time, but when we made the Brytenwalda mod a few years ago, we did not choose a known or commercial theme, we chose to create a different experience. With Beyond Mankind we want to do the same, using scientific rigor to recreate the near future, and historical rigor to create enveloping prehistory, at the moment when the Neanderthals met the Sapiens. Then, that two opposite worlds, future-past, converge.

We thank you for always being there, enjoying many hours of the Brytenwalda and Viking Conquest mod, and we understand that our game may not appeal to everyone, as it did in the beginning with our mod. But the mod later had a resounding success with millions of downloads, like the VC, and we believe that if you let yourself be captivated by the story and the world of Beyond Mankind you will start a special trip.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1301590/old_view/2371656045575679679

Beyond Mankind: Background and Features

e971dcbe19907299dcd6c845d00ffb64a433c4b9.jpg

The earth is no longer ours.

39,000 years ago, a budding human being suffered a random genetic mutation. The replicators of this gene, named What Remains (WR), were bigger, stronger, and faster than the common human. They clustered into small covert communities, gradually eliminating their genetic competitors, until they decided to annihilate mankind altogether.

In the middle of the 21st century, they engineered the Great Disaster. Nuclear warheads transformed Earth into a frozen hell. The Replicators could rapidly evolve to adapt to this new environment, acquired great strength and aggressiveness, and became the dominant species.

Only the space colonies remain to preserve human civilization. Their scientists have created an Einstein-Rosen space/time bridge to send a mission back to the WĂĽrm glaciation. Their aim is to obtain genetic samples from when the first mutation appeared and find a way to destroy it.

Two missions were sent to Heinrich Event 4, the coldest moment that humanity has ever known, but contact has since been lost. The player has been assigned to the rescue party, but are hypothermia and Pleistocene megafauna the only threats?

Beyond Mankind is a narrative Action RPG with survival mechanics. It is divided into three chapters that present both a dystopic near future and an ancestral world, an isolated glacial valley full of Pleistocene megafauna and hunter-gatherer hominids.

Features

SARPG - Survival Action Role-Playing Game

Try a new genre in gaming that combines survival mechanics with action and role-playing.

Two Overall Settings

Start in a dark future and be part of humanity’s last hope. Discover a militarized society where individual liberties must come second to survival.
Then travel to a grim past to brave an ice age and its inhabitants.

Quality Content

Both overall settings, chosen for their interest, have been painstakingly created from historical and scientific sources.

Science-Like Character Creation

Create a character through a complex attribution system where one picks genetic traits and background.

Complex Narrative

A main story is accompanied by plenty of side quests, all involving difficult decisions and their fateful consequences.

NPC Interaction

Make choices in branching conversation trees. Form relationships with the NPCs – each with their own personality and needs – to earn their friendship, loyalty, or even love. Acquire followers and companions.

Survival

Survive – and help others survive – in many different environments. Seek shelter and make sure to monitor your core temperature, physical condition, and mental state.

Integrated Inventory

Make camp to view your inventory. There, you can light a fire, set up your tent, manage resources, cook food, and craft items. The game provides a variety of foodstuffs, weapons, and other equipment and materials.

c1354f461e564fbbc3c507a2c54c8ecb51d84aed.png

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1301590/old_view/2844540983605573622

Do you want to win the official H.O.P.E mug?
7f824b14ff2368293612caeb460cb0f5ae809f64.png

”YOU WAKE UP AND THE WORLD IS ENDING TOMORROW, WHAT THREE THINGS WOULD YOU BUY TO SURVIVE THIS APOCALYPSE?”

Write a comment and win one of the 15 H.O.P.E mugs we are ruffling if you help us:

1.Like our Facebook Page
2.Share the Post.
3. Reply our above question. The best and original answer will win the mug.

The winners will be announce in social media next Monday ^^

Let's save the world together!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
August 31.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1301590/view/3094513593470313178

We, Brytenwalda Studios, are very happy to announce the new release date for Beyond Mankind The Awakening: August 31, 2021.

You might have read that our initial plan was to launch the game this May, but because we want to deliver the best game possible at launch we decided to take some more time. The game will be localized in 7 languages (English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, and Chinese) and we’re completing the work of the voice actors. We can’t wait to show you more…

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I have a feeling this is going to be a real gem in the rough, Brytenwalda was an excellent mod. I look forward to reading the reviews on this game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There was a surprise update to Viking Conquest, the Warband DLC by these developers, and they put a link to this game at the end of the announcement. Since then this game's Steam followers went from 722 to 1,223, a salesman cay say it almost doubled! I'd hazard a guess that wishlist number has seen a similar growth. The power of cross-promotion, eh?

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
This looks like it has some potential, I wonder how important the space element will be to the game? They seem to show off the space station a lot in the trailers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom