Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beyond Mankind - first-person sci-fi action RPG by M&B Brytenwalda mod devs

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
it's *more* janky than stalker

Jinn

Arcane
Yep, super janky. Much more action-RPG feeling combat than a tactical shooter too. Also, not early access.

EDIT: Alright if the game doesn't change its formula soon, then it's going to be a lost cause for me unfortunately. Getting that sinking feeling that all the potential I was seeing in the first few hours isn't actually going to lead anywhere. Biggest problem so far has been mostly one linear map after another, and I certainly didn't think I was signing up for Half-Life with RPG elements. We'll see. Just wanted to temper the expectations of anyone who might have been getting interested in it.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
You mean it is a linear FPS with some light RPG elements?

That's what it's looking like. I'm going to force myself to push past this really frustrating part I've encountered to see if it finally opens up after. If it doesn't, I'll be done with it. The game could possibly be redeemed if the player is given some amount of freedom, which is what it seemed like was going to happen from the build up of the first couple hours.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Thanks Jinnbro. Was hoping this could scratch the Deus Ex/Prey itch, but guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
You mean it is a linear FPS with some light RPG elements?

That's what it's looking like. I'm going to force myself to push past this really frustrating part I've encountered to see if it finally opens up after. If it doesn't, I'll be done with it. The game could possibly be redeemed if the player is given some amount of freedom, which is what it seemed like was going to happen from the build up of the first couple hours.

How was it?

Jutsun

Brytenwalda Studios
Developer
Hi, everyone!

I’m writing this as a member of Brytenwalda Studios, the developers of the Viking Conquest DLC for Mount & Blade. As you may already know, we started developing mods, then we developed this DLC and then we released Beyond Mankind, the game discussed in this thread, and which is our first IP.

I'm here to inform you that after listening to the community's feedback and a lot of work, we have just released the biggest patch yet for Beyond Mankind. It improves the game in almost every aspect. We have an updated playable demo as well in case you want to try it. We are very excited to share with everyone this new version of the game and to find players that want to try it and give us their opinion.

Here are the full patch notes: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1301590/view/3138442805297384129

I'm here to answer any questions you might have. Thank you everyone for your attention!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Ratings have gone up to Mixed. Interested in hearing codexers' thoughts on the latest update. Jinn

Jinn

Arcane
Ratings have gone up to Mixed. Interested in hearing codexers' thoughts on the latest update. Jinn

Sadly, reading through the changelog, there's nothing there that addresses my fundamental problems with the game. That's partially my problem due to expectations: the game plays more like a very linear first person shooter ala-Half-Life, rather than what I would expect from even the most linear first-person RPG. The RPG mechanics don't have a particularly big impact on gameplay, the enemy AI is braindead, exploration mostly non-existent. There is a vague mention of something that might address the fact that your equipment resets every stage, but equipment progression is so non-existent to begin with, I don't really care.

I highly doubt I'll be playing this again. Jutsun, thanks for stopping by and letting us know, and I hope the best for future projects.

Last edited:

Jutsun

Brytenwalda Studios
Developer

Sadly, reading through the changelog, there's nothing there that addresses my fundamental problems with the game. That's partially my problem due to expectations: the game plays more like a very linear first person shooter ala-Half-Life, rather than what I would expect from even the most linear first-person RPG. The RPG mechanics don't have a particularly big impact on gameplay, the enemy AI is braindead, exploration mostly non-existent. There is a vague mention of something that might address the fact that your equipment resets every stage, but equipment progression is so non-existent to begin with, I don't really care.

I highly doubt I'll be playing this again. Jutsun, thanks for stopping by and letting us know, and I hope the best for future projects.
I understand. I'd still like to let you know that we addressed issues with the inventory, and we also improved the AI of both enemies and allies. There have been some changes in balance as well.

In any case, thank you for your comments and wishes, we're still listening to feedback from players so this is very important for us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom