Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some of my favourite songs in Role Playing (and RP adjacent) games

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure if these count as enough 'RPG' to be on this list, but I absolutely love some parts of their soundtrack.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Almost forgot one of my favorite BG2 tunes.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I liked how much the Arcanum soundtrack conveyed with a single instrument. Fit the game's plot and theme excellently too.

Guess I'm a sucker in general for melancholy tracks.

This was a brilliant track for a very memorable moment in the game (Harran's Pass).

And to give credit where credit is due the FF series has lots of great evocative tracks.
KODP also has a very memorable and evocative soundtrack.

Fits her character perfectly, the reassuring reprise of Binary Sunset surrounded by sorrowful uncertainty. To this day, I still get goosebumps at the 0:33 mark.

A song for the onset of a late summer evening. Super relaxing.

Incredibly difficult to pick just one song from The Witcher. This one is dripping with damp, oppressive urban decay and I love it.

You'll come no closer to the epic fantasy pomp of Basil Poledouris' Conan score than TOB's soundtrack.

(1/2)

Coming across an Ayleid ruin for the first time with this music playing was brilliant. Oblivion was understandably some of Soule's finest work considering what he'd been through while writing it.

The rise beginning at 1:11 is fucking triumphant.

There was something otherworldly about some of the tracks in this game, odd music that I could almost buy developing from a more tribal dark-aged culture. Felt sort of the same about Caves of Qud that someone already linked.

Anyway, so many other games worth linking, would have included Icewind Dale, Diablo and Deus Ex but others have thankfully beaten me to them.

(2/2)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Nomad Soul was almost the best game ever. I also loved the music in Monkey Island, Tiberian Sun, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and a few from Everquest. I don't usually notice music in other games because it's usually so generic.

demoman

Educated
Game : System Shock 2 (1999)
Track : Eric Brosius - Engineering 2

One of my favorite games of all time and an AMAZING soundtrack, coupled with really good sound design (environmental sounds, combat music, ambient music).

This is a banger track on its own, even outside gaming while managing to be totally relevant to the game.

Sykar

Arcane
Lady Error mentioned Dragonfall before but my personal favorite piece was from Hong Kong:

Divinity 2:

Sometimes I would just dick around so I could listen to this track.

Really like the Summoner intro:

Always taking some extra time when talking to Deionarra, part due to the voice acting, in part due to the music:

Inquisitor: Martyr, a guilty pleasure of mine, has a couple of nice ones though I enjoy that one the most, especially the second half:

Makes defense missions feel actually epic.

Many of my favorites from SS 2, DE 1, BG 2, Diablo 1, etc have been posted already so I won't bother linking them again.

Last edited:

demoman

Educated
Summoner : The game about a summoner that could be an incredible summoner without raising the Summon skill above 1... good times!

purupuru

Learned

One of my favorite hub music. Comfy and quiet. Gives off a bit of exotic vibe without getting cheesy.

The way 8-bit and 16-bit music uses arpeggios to emulate chords definitely has a charm to it, something that is often lost when people try to remake them in HQ.

Dorateen

Arcane
"Songs" is an interesting phrase, as opposed to the usual instrumental soundtrack that plays in the background. The one role-playing game song that stands out to me was the tavern music from Storm of Zehir, in the Sword Coast. It was a clear riff on Simon and Garfunkel's Scarborough Fair, but I enjoyed it.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Lots of good ones already mentioned here. Hm, let's see.

This one is pretty nice, from Kings Bounty - (Barely) Armored Princess
Sacred Campaing, Lind Erebos:

Also, VtM Bloodlines had good stuff.
Main Theme, Rik Schaffer.

The Asylum (Chiasm - Isolated).

And of course the Deus Ex theme, Alexander Brandon.
The orchestral version is pretty nice.

Oh yeah, the Witcher 1. No clue who composed the main menu theme, actually can't find it in the official soundtrack.

Of course music is one of the better aspects of Fallout 3. Not going to go into that, though.

Beyond RPG's, I'd also mention Max Payne 2 (shooter). Homeworld (strategy). Outlaws (shooter). Monkey Island (Adventure).

demoman

Educated
It is all about dem rings and getting revenge

and dem combos! it's been a while but i remember them as worse than Witcher's (where I eventually got used to them)

The Asylum (Chiasm - Isolated).

OOOOOF... little old me was really into EDM and the whole goth scene (that was what the edgelords of my era used to do) my excuse is the girls were hot, fun and willing to put out.

I was obsessed with this song...

the cringe is palpable

Sykar

Arcane
My favorite music piece from Witcher 1:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain:

Going through the Cathedral and obtaining the Reaver was so damn satisfying especially with this music.

Soul Reaver:

Man that send shivers down my spine back during the intro and when you come to your old kingdom where nothing but ruins reign.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Game : System Shock 2 (1999)
Track : Eric Brosius - Engineering 2

One of my favorite games of all time and an AMAZING soundtrack, coupled with really good sound design (environmental sounds, combat music, ambient music).

This is a banger track on its own, even outside gaming while managing to be totally relevant to the game.

Oh hell yeah. System Shock has amazing music. The dread of sneaking through corridors while low on ammo. All the while being stalked by mutants and ninja robots. Then the kickass music starts playing is the greatest shit ever! Hell yeah!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom