Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege - How the hell was this ever popular?

Turjan

Arcane
The demo of Dungeon Siege was really good at tricking you into thinking there was something more to it. The demo introduced you to this seamless world without loading screens and pretty great atmosphere. You could enter all places and buildings and easily pick everything up.
Funny enough, I can still remember most of the demo part. Everything after that becomes a rather meaningless blur. While some people here say the whole game was piss easy, there were a few tighter areas later on. However, that still didn't make them more remarkable.

Anyway, you need it for playing Lazarus. Which is good enough to justify its existence.

xemous

Arcane
And still the 3rd game manages to be the worst one by a wide margin because it's one of the shittiest games in the genre(along with being a shitty console abomination). Really says a lot that people that defend it around here. You really don't have to defend everything Obsidian shits out.

its obsidians best game

pippin

It's true that Dungeon Siege 1 was quite varied, but each area was way too long and way too overpopulated. By the time they get to the end of each area, most players will suffer from serious monotony fatigue.

This is especially apparent in the dwarven mines, and then confirmed in the ice caves. That's 1/3rd of the game, it seems.Never finished it, and this is the reason why I never did. I gotta say I even own it physically,but it was like 2 bucks including the expansion. Gotta try Lazarus soon,though.

Neanderthal

Arcane
No offense to Nealios but even though some o lore were interestin, it dint do shit in game, wi BaK lore an background were intrinsic parts o game, they were almost rewards an I looked forward to em, Dungeon Siege they were welcome an all but just because I were sick o pointless grinding. Think Dungeon Siege were perfect example o direction games are still travelling towards, automated an dumbed down til theres almost nowt to do in em. Thing is it had so much fucking potential, wi music, engine an atmosphere it coulda made an almost perfect RPG, but there were no meat on bones.

Beastro

Arcane
This is especially apparent in the dwarven mines, and then confirmed in the ice caves. That's 1/3rd of the game, it seems.Never finished it, and this is the reason why I never did. I gotta say I even own it physically,but it was like 2 bucks including the expansion. Gotta try Lazarus soon,though.

The Goblin Area is a nightmare that just drags on and on. It's about 2/3s of the way through the game and there's not enough after it to make you really want to slug through unless it's your first playthrough.

No offense to Nealios but even though some o lore were interestin, it dint do shit in game,

DS back history was good. It's a shame 95% of it is in the manual.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
MORE ASS!!!
sFQqMdB.jpg

I thought I'd update on my ebay purchases that were cheap.
ruzJHp1.jpg

I bought DS 3 that came with a Prima Guide surprisingly. Sadly it says download the manual at http://na.dungeonsiege.com/manual

That probably fails. If not I'll look for 1-3 manyals and maps. I know my DS 1 manual is somewhere even if the box is long gone. I was surprised to find the cds to DS 1. The Loa set comes with DS1 but no manual and was one of those small discount packages you'd see in the sofware isle. So I have 2 DS1s and 2 DS2s because the cheap ebay but was the Deluxe edition of DS 2 that also had Broken World and a manuals & bonus materials disc.

Naturally I am missing the fucking STEAM ONLY Treasures of the Sun for DS 3. I could maybe find a pirate hackeded version even if I do technically own the steam version (but I don't want steam on Lenny or Envy).

Next up is buying Disciples 3 pack physical copy. I know its not as good as Reincarnation or w/e. Oddly, I bought Ren & Res pack on Steam but not the better Reincarn. Jesus fucking christ.

edit... oh fuck me stupid...
My GoG version has Treasures of the Sun & DS3. When the fuck? Dandy. And I have it on Steam. Well, I still need to find my physical book and maybe I'll buy the Prima guides for 1&2 LOA & TBW as well. Completism eh?

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I remember the game as a decent dungeon romp where you just go and mindlessly kill shit. It was thoroughly mediocre, but good enough for what it was.

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah, I get it graphics were good for the time, the world is huge and continuous, without a single loading screen, and you get a rather large party... but that's really enough to get so much positive press & fanboys, TO THIS DAY?
Nostalgia and the game being considered a classic can do that. Also, it's like a singleplayer Diablo with a party and many quality of life improvements.

Cadmus

Arcane
ah yes the party was large and the skills where learn by use which was atypical for a diablo clone

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Without building or resource management (unless you count items, gold, potions as resources).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I remember getting to some ice area and the world map started falling apart due to a corrupted save or something. Just called it a day instead of going to a (significantly) older save. Could never muster the desire to give it another try. I bought it for steam at some point and last gave it a spin (looking up steam page) 8 years ago.

What the hell lets load her up.

T. Reich

Arcane
DS had beautiful spanning seamlessly connected 3d environments and the sountrack to match.
Plus it had an easily-managed party gameplay to boot.

All in all, it's a beautiful brainless romp, so it's pretty fun that way.
Sure thing, if you want something more cerebral, it's totally not what you want, but just because it's dumb and beautiful doesn't mean it's bad.

PrettyDeadman

Its a good game. Sense of EPIC adventure. Nice and varied locations, monster, good visual and sound effects. DS3 on the other way is utter shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom