Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best RPG of the CRPG Renaissance?

Best CRPGs 2012-2021

• Legend of Grimrock

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Dead State (ReAnimated)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

• Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

• Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Votes: 61 24.2%
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• Legend of Grimrock II

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Might and Magic X: Legacy

• Lords of Xulima

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • ELEX

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • NEO Scavenger

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Legends of Eisenwald

• Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • The Age of Decadence

Votes: 60 23.8%
  • Underrail

Votes: 84 33.3%
  • Darkest Dungeon

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenara

• Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 99 39.3%
  • Disco Elysium

Votes: 57 22.6%
  • Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

• Heroine's Quest

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Battle Brothers

Votes: 23 9.1%
  • Expedition: Conquistadors

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Expedition: Vikings

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Vaporum

• Vaporum: Lockdown

• Starcrawlers

• Serpent in the Staglands

• ATOM

• Caves of Qud

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Votes: 34 13.5%
  • Star Traders

• Tales of Maj'Eyal

• Voidspire Tactics

• Alvora Tactics

• Satellite Reign

• Kenshi

• Troubleshooter

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Dungeon of Naheulbeuk

• Wasteland 3

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Knights of the Chalice 2

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Quest for Infamy

• Blackguards

• Blackguards 2

• Dungeon Rats

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • A Legionary's Life

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Surprised to see Dragonfall doing so well. I think it’s definitely the best of the nuShadowruns, but I didn’t find it particularly engaging outside of the narrative.

Also seems like Codex is less inclined towards blobbers than it used to be. For shame.
Because there is no blobbers to be inclined toward. There was operencia which was ok but nothing special,and there was bard's tale which was a meme,yet still ok after a lot of fixing. Neither of them is something amazing,it is no new MM tier of incline.

Grimrock 2 is probably the best RT blobber ever released outside of CSB, and Lords of Xulima is a perfectly respectable game as well.
LoL both of them are mega garbage,go get your self a surgery for a taste implantation! Grimcock is a generic dungeon crawler trough generic unity assets. Xulima have some good parts like the world and its semi freedom to explore it,but the combat was mega generic and tedious,the part where you have too move around till the enemy attack you too.

I want to see some modern evolution of a blober,want to see free camera,free movement,one world with different factions quests and characters,robust leveling system with useful skills,good dungeon design not just long corridors with enemy and traps dropped in random places. I am tired of people that cling to the old garbage dungeon crawlers,they were good games for its times,but such people make the genre stagnates and die!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also it show how much of casualtards you are,not even one of you mentioned Frayed Knights The Skull of Smakh-Daon,which is far better blobber than all the garbage in here. Also operencia is far better than grimcock,but i doubt that you had played it.

EDIT:Also no mention of THE QUEST lol. It may not be a blober per character numbers,but is great fun game. It is a shame that on a supposedly niche forum for rpgs and people don't even know that exists :(.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are also a few very indie blobbers, but I'm kind of getting tired of badgering people to add Note of the Outskirts to lists just so I alone can vote for it, so I didn't this time.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Surprised to see Dragonfall doing so well. I think it’s definitely the best of the nuShadowruns, but I didn’t find it particularly engaging outside of the narrative.

Also seems like Codex is less inclined towards blobbers than it used to be. For shame.
Because there is no blobbers to be inclined toward. There was operencia which was ok but nothing special,and there was bard's tale which was a meme,yet still ok after a lot of fixing. Neither of them is something amazing,it is no new MM tier of incline.

Grimrock 2 is probably the best RT blobber ever released outside of CSB, and Lords of Xulima is a perfectly respectable game as well.
It doesn't even have a healer. :killit:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Also it show how much of casualtards you are,not even one of you mentioned Frayed Knights The Skull of Smakh-Daon,which is far better blobber than all the garbage in here. Also operencia is far better than grimcock,but i doubt that you had played it.

EDIT:Also no mention of THE QUEST lol. It may not be a blober per character numbers,but is great fun game. It is a shame that on a supposedly niche forum for rpgs and people don't even know that exists :(.
It is still a phone game though and you can exploit the hell out of wands and stuff.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I voted for:

Pathfinder
Pillars
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Elex

Of those I'll be the weirdo who says he enjoyed Pillars most. Pathfinder was a little too mechanics focused, the kingdom management was tedious and annoying, the time limits made for some feelings of linearity despite their leniency and having to save scum after learning what status effects the enemies were using was lame. Dragonfall was a little too small in scope to compete. Elex isn't really applicable to the question IMO. Note: I have not played Atom, Underrail or Wasteland 3 yet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
These are not renaissance games. Lilura will comeback to punish you, heretic.
Legend of Grimrock was the first in a spate of games looking back to the Golden Age of CRPGs for inspiration, and therefore this period is more deserving of the moniker "Renaissance Era" than Lilura's favorite epoch.

kA3m1cp.png

grimrock: dance dance blobber edition

Dude. If you're going to spend breath defending declined MMO shit like FO76 and TOR (which, btw, I admire you for being willing to defend), you could at least engage in substantive criticism of the games you don't like instead of just pithy one-liner pile-ons.

I do think combat is easily the worst part of the Grimrocks, but the second game goes a long way towards making it more palatable and interesting. Level and encounter design are much more clever than in the first game.

Codex Year of the Donut

Dude. If you're going to spend breath defending declined MMO shit like FO76 and TOR (which, btw, I admire you for being willing to defend), you could at least engage in substantive criticism of the games you don't like instead of just pithy one-liner pile-ons.

I do think combat is easily the worst part of the Grimrocks, but the second game goes a long way towards making it more palatable and interesting. Level and encounter design are much more clever than in the first game.
nah

nah

Disappointing.

Codex Year of the Donut

nah

Disappointing.
I aim to please

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

nah

Disappointing.
You really do have shitty taste. Grimcock is garbage and one of the worst blobbers.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want more votes, there are at least 10 good rpgs in the poll, and it pains me seeing some good rpgs go with 1 vote just because there are better ones.

jackofshadows

Magister
The Age of Decadence
Underrail
Furries
Dungeon Rats (1 vote? the fuck?!)

Dragonfall was good but not good enough.
Grimrock 1-2 are very good games but calling them RPGs is a stretch. (fanta doesn't like solving puzzles while being drunk, who could've guessed)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
In no particular order

• KotC 2
  • Dungeon Rats
  • Quest For Infamy
  • ATOM RPG
  • Grimoire
Also, these polls are useless, it's obviously a popularity contest won by the infiltrated masses whom only play some big shitty titles, as the Codex Giggle of the Year showed us times and again.

In no particular order

• KotC 2
  • Dungeon Rats
  • Quest For Infamy
  • ATOM RPG
  • Grimoire
Also, these polls are useless, it's obviously a popularity contest won by the infiltrated masses whom only play some big shitty titles, as the Codex Giggle of the Year showed us times and again.
Eh. Yes and no. The top results are ultimately neither terribly informative nor surprising (nor did I expect them to be when I made the poll; I would frankly have been stunned if Kingmaker and Underrail were not in the top 3), but the poll itself can illuminate some surprising data. Dragonfall’s strong performance surprised me, so did the relative underperformance of AoD and the blobbers present. From your own list I’m surprised to see QFI, a game I really like, but consider strictly inferior to Heroine’s Quest.
Is any of this scientific? Not even remotely, but my intention with this thread was to foment discussion, not reach firm conclusions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom