Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Das Schwarze Auge videogames for beginners?

Dark Eye videogame series for begginers

• Blackguards

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Drakensang

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Realms of Arkania

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Adenocaulon

Educated
Hello, I have never played a game based in Dark Eye ruleset and setting, I have the manuals of the tabletop game in my power.

I know Drakensang series, Realms of Arkania and Blackguards

I have obtained the first Drakensang in a gog sale, it looks fine and for some reason I have the idea that it may be the more easy between these games series based in the dark eye.

Realms of Arkania catches my attention for the first person perspective, I normally like exploration features in videogames especially in first person, but it may be the more complex series here.

I have seen that Blackguards is in a very low price at Steam sales so I do not loose anything to give them a try, however I am not sure if I would like them because it seems that it is only aimed to tactical battles. Maybe I am wrong, but usually I do not enjoy the pacing of rpg games structured in combat stages or missions without continuous exploration. But I am not sure if i am correct, as the developer speciality is adventure games so it would be strange if my impression is correct.

V_K

Arcane
I have obtained the first Drakensang in a gog sale, it looks fine and for some reason I have the idea that it may be the more easy between these games series based in the dark eye.

Realms of Arkania catches my attention for the first person perspective, I normally like exploration features in videogames especially in first person, but it may be the more complex series here.
Drakensang has OTS camera mode that makes exploration very FP-like. It is easier in the sense that IIRC you only need to manage level-ups for your main character. The system itself is still pretty complex.
On the other hand, Realms of Arkania has a "basic" mode where the game distributes skill and spell points for you, so you only need to concern yourself with the attributes. The game's not terribly good at character building, but it's also not terribly hard, so you won't be shooting yourself in the leg by doing that.

One thing to keep in mind is that all three games use different editions of TDE and different implementations of it, so it's not like having played Drakensang would make Realms of Arkania mich easier. Just read the manuals and maybe look which skills are never used in online guides.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
As others have said, try Drakensang, it's the easiest to get into BUT it's also not an amateur's type game imo. Character building is quite complex and u have to learn the rules of course, same for any of these games. Realms Of Arkania is a blast but it is quite complex and harder than the others, but very rewarding. I would say try Drakensang, you will probably like it as it is a more traditional CRPG, and also quite fun, at least for me. Enjoy! :)

Narushima

Cipher
Realms of Arkania isn't that complex.
Start with the third one, Shadows over Riva. It has the natural 3D movement, and the best map an RPG can have: it fills itself automatically, but you have to annotate it yourself (with the perfect tools provided).

I would play the RoA trilogy. Blackguards 1 is good, but probably not for you if you need an exploration focus. 2 has a reputation for being shit, but I haven’t played it. Drakensangs are okay, but are a little janky and both overstay their welcome.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Realms of Arcania 2 is nice because it simulates herbalism rations camping and other stuff. But it has horribly dated graphic. 1 is simply horribly dated. And 3 is single city thus meh.

Play Drakensang 1 first. (IIRC it's actually sequel of Drakensang 2, but it makes sense to play it first from player perspective.) Remember Drakensange 1 is about getting people from ALL classes that are around. 4 party members, but 11? available companions who are living in your house.

Drakensang 2 has much tighter story, and characters are more like persons than a random turrets firing fireballs at enemies.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Realms of Arkania HD.

Play Drakensang 2 though, that game deserved better.
Indeed. River of Time is a very underrated gem of whimsical German game design and humor. If you understand german you should get the german version, the VO is stellar and every of these little NPC convo loops is voiced. But voiced in a way which made me chuckle so many times.
It came out in the NWN2 period, so it is sadly held back by clunky camera control and a really shitty RT combat mode, where you battle the aformentioned camera and the pause key more than the enemy.
But worldbuilding and design IS TDE incarnated.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Skipping first one, and not see an elf that had an incident with lusty tree? And saving her to get her into the party?
Not seeing actually decently made choices and consequences in that forest area with witches?
Not hearing screams of a naked? young woman tied up to a cliff because city officials are morons?

They should release it as a freeware, both these are low level adventures, but charming.

Drakensang 2 is nice, but a player would appreciate it's improvement more when he'd see clunkier version first.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Realms of Arkania is less complex than you'd think because few skills are actually used often and many spells are of fringe usefulness.

Also, everything after RoA was decline.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I installed Realms of Arkania (not HD), and will go through the trilogy. Thanks a bunch, you pesky OP.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Blackguards, Drakensang and old Reams of Arkania are the good DSA RPGs, the two DSA adventure games are however amazing aswell, and should not fly under anyones radar.

If you like a somewhat grounded medieval adventure with low moon logic and spell driven puzzle solving play Chains of Satinav. Memoria ups the stakes, manages to keep the charm of the original in tact however. I am not a heavy point and click gamer, so take this with a slight amount of salt, but those two are the finest I have ever played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom