Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL: Obsidian's Best RPG

Best Obsidian RPG?

• KOTOR 2

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • NWN 2 (w/o MotB)

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Alpha Protocol

Votes: 29 10.3%
  • New Vegas

Votes: 145 51.6%
  • Dungeon Siege 3

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Stick of Truth

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Pillars 2

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Outer Worlds

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Humbaba

Arcane
Now, we all know that Obsidian is absolute shit and literally the worst company on earth that produces nothing but garbage. But which is the best pile of garbage?

For me it's New Vegas, no contest. It is also Obsidian's ONLY good game without whens and buts. I know a lot got cut but unlike every other rushed Obsidian product, it doesn't really matter with NV. What's here is very good one way or another, and the bugs at release no longer matter since they've been fixed mostly. Tyranny would be a far second, even though only the first act is any good and the conquest system is the only original thing about that game. If MotB was a standalone I would list it here and declare it as Obsidian's second good game but seeing as it isn't, it doesn't count.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Unironically Alpha Protocol. It was the only real espionage RPG, where no one was who he seemed he was, literally everyone had a hidden agenda, and uncovering secrets was genuinely surprising. Strangely enough, I also enjoyed the combat. Not to mention a few badass, practically psychopath moments in the game, like this one, but the entire video is worth it:

Admittedly, some the dialogue is edgy and cringeworthy, but it comes with the genre.

Mass Effect was poor man's Alpha Protocol.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Votes New Vegas.

Why isn't MotB in the poll tho?
And why isn't PoE2?

I guess some Codexers would vote MotB if it were in.
And maybe there's people who prefer PoE2 to the first game.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm looking at this list and wanna say "fuck this list".

NV is a good game, I agree, just barely an RPG.

Tigranes

Arcane
There can be no 'best', because every Obsidian game is a uniquely confusing blend of great and horrible, until the great parts gradually disappeared entirely.

Even New Vegas, probably the clear poll winner & most well rounded entry, is essentially brain-dead junk food gameplay because of the Bethesda system it works in.

If I could save just one game from the apocalypse, though, it's probably MOTB.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
kotor 2 has really nice plot if you're into star wars but otherwise it's shit
motb I haven't played cause I can't take the camera
alpha protocol always felt like they're pushing just whatever for the publisher while trying to make a compelling piece of story, but not so much to sabotage the studio. In a way it's all I could ask from an AA game developer but it also feels wrong to rate something so unapologetically lacking ambition too highly. could be a me problem
new vegas is just doing their best out of a given situation, and highly appreciated because it's fallout after fallout 3, but I think it's carried by the unfuckable bethesda open world formula. Otherwise the game's clearly unfinished and dlcs are representative of cancer ruining early 2010s games, leaving bad taste in my gut despite me enjoying 500+ hours of this shit on mods
ds3 is trash
stick of truth I'm scared to play because I'm not american
poe feels like the first real obsidian directed game but it's still a slave to promises of infinity engine game revieval. It also always felt like a set up for the bg2 of 2010s, preventing me from taking it too seriously. I enjoyed it a lot regardless and would rate it higher than anything above, I'm cool with sawyer butchering dnd for modern casual trash sensibilities
tyranny was just getting new blood to design a game and it went alright. maybe too amatourish for a 10yo studio but I thought they choose well which parts of the game to neglect to save money and still make something enjoyable. Still, trashy game.
Deadfire takes the cake. Writing's bleh but it's a joy to play and felt like the endpoint of sawyer's direction for rpgs. Whether you like it or not it's a defining game for the genre and I'll be pissed at anything that doesn't have the nice programmable ai, easy to understand subclasses and multiclass, hypertext mechanics and lore explaination bullshit and itemization at least this good.
outer worlds is trash why the fuck did I preorder obsidian edition of poe2 if you were going to go under microsoft anyway

and now for the obsidrone special:
armored warfare was good! shame it's fucking dead and apparently publishers forced it to be a wot clone cashcow. I enjoyed it still, at least until the grind got too hard
skyforge is a f2p mmo an thus trash
I'm scared to play grounded and pathfinder adventures. if you think you could persuade me to please do

BruceVC

Magister
I am a huge fan of Obsidian and I like most of their games I have played that include F:NV, DS3, Alpha and NWN2

My favorite game of theirs is between F:NV and NWN2 MoB and if I have to choose its NWN2 MoB

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Pillars 1 and 2. Pillars has a better setting, but Deadfire has better exploration and combat mechanics.

MotB is good contender, also

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
New Vegas is objectively the best but I am voting Tyranny because it is a good rpg and way better than people give it credit for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom