Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

Endemic

Arcane
Lol. That and female scouts/khans ingame.

It's doubly weird because people like Hoelun (Temujin's mother) existed in real history, you could have just made a campaign with her in it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys I don't think it matters much.
Of course it matters!

There are WOMEN!
In OUR games!

Get out the pitchforks!

Not that it would matter for games like AoE that were never very historically accurate to begin with, but this barely identifyable female person in my game CANNOT stand!
Down with the matriarchy!

(Seriously, though, the female Muslim general I find pretty hilarious :lol:)

Cunt Dickula!?

Notice how nobody said anything against Jeanne d'Arc?
Scouts in medieval England just would not have been women in 99,99% of cases.

If there is ONE female khan in mongolian history you can make a mission about that.
But it's pretty far fetched to now make 50% of all khans female.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If there is ONE female khan in mongolian history you can make a mission about that.
So?
It's not a historically accurate game and doesn't claim to be.

AoE 1 - not historically accurate
AoE 2 - not historically accurate
AoE 3 - :lol:
AoE 4 - not historically accurate

AoE has always been historically influenced with varying degrees of accuracy. Nothing changed.

Something like Battlefield V that went ahead boasting accuracy and then just doing what it did is one thing.
As is the AoE3 remake nonsense about renaming Colonial Age and other changes for the sake of wokeness. None of it ruins the game, but it's still at the very least dumb and made the game objectively worse.

This is something completely different - at least to my knowledge, historical accuracy was never claimed.
So now going ahead and raising a stink because there are women where there would have been none in history while all the other inaccuracies that have always been in the series were never an issue, well, that does give a very slight hint that the historical inaccuracy is not people's real issue here.

Cunt Dickula!?

They just dabble now a little in it (see female muslim general) and soon the activists will come and ask why they are so few black medieval russians and queer disabled paladins.

AoE 5 will basically be this:

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

So?

AoE has always been historically influenced with varying degrees of accuracy. Nothing changed.

Something like Battlefield V that went ahead boasting accuracy and then just doing what it did is one thing.
As is the AoE3 remake nonsense about renaming Colonial Age and other changes for the sake of wokeness. None of it ruins the game, but it's still at the very least dumb and made the game objectively worse.

This is something completely different - at least to my knowledge, historical accuracy was never claimed.
So now going ahead and raising a stink because there are women where there would have been none in history while all the other inaccuracies that have always been in the series were never an issue, well, that does give a very slight hint that the historical inaccuracy is not people's real issue here.

So because the games have low historical accuracy, that makes it not a flaw, and they should just have ever more and more anachronism. WRONG! fuck off retard!!!
Sure I do hate the foids more than all the other bullshit but all kinds of other shit is outrageous too like platemail zeihander aztecs with arbalests, "eagle warriors" existing in aoe2 instead of AoM, etc

Tigranes

Arcane
It's dumb to shoehorn a female military unit into a game like AOE.

It's equally dumb to spend your time on this Earth scanning video games and youtubes and twitters over with a fine comb trying to detect WRONG GENDER STUFF in a video game. Especially one where you're zoomed out ordering random blobs all the time.

Speaking of blobs - one thing that really gets me is unit recognisability. It feels like, say, AOM it was easy to instantly tell how many units an army has & how upgraded, so you could gauge the outcome - and this is a lot harder in Age4 unless you have health bars always on? Might just be a new game issue so far.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What did people expect? Have you guys seen the studio? It's filled with wahmen and lesbians.

Alter Sack

Magister
It's dumb to shoehorn a female military unit into a game like AOE.

It's equally dumb to spend your time on this Earth scanning video games and youtubes and twitters over with a fine comb trying to detect WRONG GENDER STUFF in a video game. Especially one where you're zoomed out ordering random blobs all the time.

Speaking of blobs - one thing that really gets me is unit recognisability. It feels like, say, AOM it was easy to instantly tell how many units an army has & how upgraded, so you could gauge the outcome - and this is a lot harder in Age4 unless you have health bars always on? Might just be a new game issue so far.

Fine comb? Scanning videos for wrong gender stuff?

That's bullshit.

I watched the trailer because I was interested in the game (because I liked AoE I and II).

The female general is the main protagonist of the trailer. You can't miss it.

It gets basically shoved down our throats.

I am not opposed to female characters in general but it has to fit into the context, especially in a somewhat historical game.

So Jeanne d'Arc was fine but that shit is not.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

So?

Simplifying and abridging history to make it easier to understand to people playing and making the game is different from making a politically motivated addition. The LOTR movie may not have been 100% accurate to the book but it sure as hell didn't have a space marine in it. If you don't see a difference between abridging something and adding something that didn't exist in the first place, I don't know who can help you. But putting on the uppity internet psychologist hat myself, it seems you're quite quick to jump to conclude the proles who hate this addition are sexist, and according to my experience in reddit psychology, it stems from
daddy issues!

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Game doesn't have to be 100% historically accurate. I think, given the nature and legacy of the series it would have been respectful to not fill it with politically motivated shit with no basis in history at all.

But what can you do, I don't expect restraint from the demographic these companies now willfully hire. They probably had to be talked down from adding characters from Game of Thrones as-is.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Yes of course they existed, but giving them a massive speed boost and pierce armour from wearing an eagle headdress is fantasy BS.

The speed I can get behind as a nod towards a life of running down human prey and slaves in the jungle. The piercing is silly, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom