Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Age of Empires IV - Medieval Again

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Pretty sure it's actually the voice of the villager next to the fight. Age of Empire always tried to have at least a pretense of historic authenticity , female knight would be mega retard, even in current year.
I still hoping I'm wrong, but are there female vills there? I'll edit my post if this was just me being retarded.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pretty sure it's actually the voice of the villager next to the fight. Age of Empire always tried to have at least a pretense of historic authenticity , female knight would be mega retard, even in current year.
I still hoping I'm wrong, but are there female vills there? I'll edit my post if this was just me being retarded.

I don't think that's a unit. Its villagers. I played the game in stress test and there is not a single military unit with female voice and i notice those things.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll be playing it as it's a decent excuse for my 20-year-old Age group to do reunion games. From beta I already know it'll be a passable approximation of the Age formula but nothing incredible. I suspect it'll sell OK without winning a lot of hearts.

They did AoE2 HD earlier this decade, then 3 DLCs for it, then the Definitive Edition, which is also at 2 new DLCs (and likely more coming)...

Yeah, AoE2 is still so alive and kicking that there's no chance 4 can dethrone it.
If anything, 4 might funnel more newbies into AoE2 in the long run lmao.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Yeah, AoE2 is still so alive and kicking that there's no chance 4 can dethrone it.
I agree that 4 won't dethrone 2 but people who played 4 as their first Age game won't be able to easily pick up any of the older ones. From the looks of it 4 is much less micro intensive and economy management is extremely simplified. Mangudai in the original AoC used to be micro-able to an insane amount of skill and even after being nerfed in HD and DE, still offer a capability of being able to take down much more than their cost in units if microed well. In AoE4, they just fire automatically, and you just need to move them (though that is their special feature, it is not as nuanced as in AoC/2 where fast firing was there but the player had to have the skill to use it).

Can anyone who played verified if there is boar luring? Or being able to chase deer into your mill? Or dodging mangonnel shots? Those were some common micro-requiring situations in AoE2.

Also, are monks still capable of converting to the level of cheesiness? Most people somehow don't have a problem with it but its one of my biggest bug bears (along with Chinese and Vikings being weak as fuck to Siege Onagers).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Fuck Microsoft and their language settings... I had to change the language of my entire OS just so I could play in English... Apparently having a language select in the game options is too much trouble

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I agree that 4 won't dethrone 2 but people who played 4 as their first Age game won't be able to easily pick up any of the older ones. From the looks of it 4 is much less micro intensive and economy management is extremely simplified. Mangudai in the original AoC used to be micro-able to an insane amount of skill and even after being nerfed in HD and DE, still offer a capability of being able to take down much more than their cost in units if microed well. In AoE4, they just fire automatically, and you just need to move them (though that is their special feature, it is not as nuanced as in AoC/2 where fast firing was there but the player had to have the skill to use it).

Can anyone who played verified if there is boar luring? Or being able to chase deer into your mill? Or dodging mangonnel shots? Those were some common micro-requiring situations in AoE2.

Also, are monks still capable of converting to the level of cheesiness? Most people somehow don't have a problem with it but its one of my biggest bug bears (along with Chinese and Vikings being weak as fuck to Siege Onagers).
I saw that parthian shot and laughed lol. It should have been a toggle where it fires back automatic but you loose like a third of the speed and you need 30sec between turning it on and off

Delterius

Arcane
I bought it, time to test is this a shit or not
What do you think so far? Are knights female? Are monks still cheesy? Does it keep a constant framerate?

I think the most important question is, Can you still WOLOLO?
apparently in this game the clerics can wololo in an aoe if they have a relic with them

from what i read it almost never works out, but when it does you've won the game

in practice the wololo becomes a way to do battlefield control. the enemy has enough of time to get out of the way and that's what you'd use it for.

unless you're rus, which gets mounted priests, which multiply the whole thing's power.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
What do you think so far? Are knights female? Are monks still cheesy? Does it keep a constant framerate?

apparently in this game the clerics can wololo in an aoe if they have a relic with them

from what i read it almost never works out, but when it does you've won the game
So that's what the trailer was showing. Aoe2 had players scrambling for relics and sniping monks carrying them and this seems to be their brilliant solution. This will make it so that whoever reaches a relic first can carry it to base or the other player would risk all melee units he has attacking him. If there isn't more depth it it than that, then this is even more imbalanced than in Aoe2.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've seen the videos. Sure they still convert enemies but they don't actually say WOLOLO anymore. :decline:

Delterius

Arcane

So that's what the trailer was showing. Aoe2 had players scrambling for relics and sniping monks carrying them and this seems to be their brilliant solution. This will make it so that whoever reaches a relic first can carry it to base or the other player would risk all melee units he has attacking him. If there isn't more depth it it than that, then this is even more imbalanced than in Aoe2.
It doesn't prevent sniping at all. Like I said the conversion takes too long to actually occur so it's more of a battlefield control option that takes some setup to pull off.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Just downloaded the game. Apparently the torrents version works online and you can play with anyone.

Is there any guides for optimal play? I've always been a noob at this genre, never figured out how to build what and when efficiently. How do people do it? Do they calculate or go by gut feeling?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Gett'n a bit sick of the advertisement for this game. Microsoft think this is how we talk.
"QUICKLY TO THE BATTLEMENTS MEN! ARM THE TREBUCHETS! NOW WE ATTACK"

clearly their marketing folk have never watched spirit of the law because this is more closer to how an AoE player talks.
"I need 200 more gold before I can age up, I should see if the market is less inflated now wood is still shit maybe I should sell some meat, Would be good if I can get some knights. Looks like they're Trebbing my gates again god damn it"

Johannes

Arcane
Just downloaded the game. Apparently the torrents version works online and you can play with anyone.

Is there any guides for optimal play? I've always been a noob at this genre, never figured out how to build what and when efficiently. How do people do it? Do they calculate or go by gut feeling?
When starting out it's easiest to just copy the starting build from someone else / from the internet. Then when you get more experience you learn to optimise your eco better to suit a particular situation. Don't really have time to calculate on the fly so much, so gotta go by gut feeling - having some notes down helps, like knowing how many lumberjacks you need to support 1 archery range pumping out archers and so on.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Although he's a bit popamole as far as MP goes, his guides are solid IIRC. Search on his channel or youtube or others for more guides.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

It doesn't prevent sniping at all. Like I said the conversion takes too long to actually occur so it's more of a battlefield control option that takes some setup to pull off.
So insta-conversion when holding a relic doesn't work like in the trailer?

vota DC

Augur

I seen monks only for relic picking and sometimes when war elephants are in battlefield in old AOE2. They cost more gold than a paladin after all.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I seen monks only for relic picking and sometimes when war elephants are in battlefield in old AOE2. They cost more gold than a paladin after all.

I've seen monks used a lot by Aztec players because of how OP Aztec monks are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom