Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

0wca

Learned
Critical Role is a D&D reality show. It is absolute decline.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Got into a massive fight with some faggots on the Farms with them stating; "If you don't like it make your own stuff." "You think you can do better than Mercer? Only losers complain about other peoples work." or "You're a spreg if you complain about other people liking something you don't like."
No, no. The problem with Critical Role is that they have way too much influence with WotC and TTRPG culture. WotC has for years wanted the clout of Hollywood and now that they finally have it in the form of talentless D-List celebrities they are letting them inject whatever Woke activist shit into the game as well as make changes like Orcs and Drow no longer being evil because racism and sexism. Does every campaign need fucking LGBTQ+ and radical feminist shit in it? Do we have to have constant sex and fetishes in a campaign? The answer is NO! There is a reason why D&D is now filled to the brim with weird sex pest and why anybody with half a brain has moved to OSR.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Kiwifarms, the site in which they call people they heavily dislike as being lolcows despite stalking, doxxing, and documenting their every waking moment for years.

Very schizo site. Most troubling.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-12-8_8-31-40.png

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Kiwifarms, the site in which they call people they heavily dislike as being lolcows despite stalking, doxxing, and documenting their every waking moment for years.

Very schizo site. Most troubling.

KF stared into the tranny abyss for too long and now they've become what they made fun of.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Got into a massive fight with some faggots on the Farms with them stating; "If you don't like it make your own stuff." "You think you can do better than Mercer? Only losers complain about other peoples work." or "You're a spreg if you complain about other people liking something you don't like."
No, no. The problem with Critical Role is that they have way too much influence with WotC and TTRPG culture. WotC has for years wanted the clout of Hollywood and now that they finally have it in the form of talentless D-List celebrities they are letting them inject whatever Woke activist shit into the game as well as make changes like Orcs and Drow no longer being evil because racism and sexism. Does every campaign need fucking LGBTQ+ and radical feminist shit in it? Do we have to have constant sex and fetishes in a campaign? The answer is NO! There is a reason why D&D is now filled to the brim with weird sex pest and why anybody with half a brain has moved to OSR.
all you do around here is complain that people on other websites are not nazi enough for you

0wca

Learned
all you do around here is complain that people on other websites are not nazi enough for you

Still has a point on the retarded shit that WotC is slinging.

Humbaba

Arcane
I hope none of you are atheists, because then you fudge packers would have absolutely no leg to stand on here.

Let's face it fellas. PnP was never based. In fact, most of the fantasy genre's most important influences and people were never based. Same goes for comic books, where most luminary figures were openly culturally liberal. As far back as Ultima III you could play as an explicitly non-binary character. In Ultima VII, one writer inserted his nudist fetish in the form of the nudist colony inside that big beehive, as funny of an image as that is. There is also a unicorn that asks you if you are a virgin. For DnD specifically, Ed Greenwood's original vision of Forgotten Realms was hella degenerate and featured bisexual orgies on the regular. Not to mention that his self-insert Elminster kept fucking godesses and such. And those are just a few examples from the cesspit of godless perversion that is the fantasy genre. We need not wonder why Critical Role not only exists but is exceedingly popular, because DnD has always attracted mentally maladjusted dickweeds who stink and have abnormal sexual proclivities. Big reason why I could never get into PnP. The people are just fucking gay. Turns out the boomers were right.

Video games managed to conceal this degeneracy for the longest time, because developers aimed to appeal to the largest crowd and thus omitted many of the sick shit that had been inherent to the genre. These days however, what was once niche and deviant is mainstream, hip and socially desirable, which means that devs have received free licence to make public their fetishes that were always present but hitherto kept hidden. Thankfully, so far at the very least, this sort of cultural bolshevism is not yet as overt as it is in the PnP source material but who knows how long that will last. Big difference though as to why no one really cared back then is that in those days it was completely ok to disagree with homosexuality and other sexual perversions on completely sound moral grounds. Nowadays though with the appalling spread of secularism, post-modernism and atheism, disagreeing with the LGBTBBQ agenda marks you for social and professional death, which has radicalised the discourse surrounding this issue. I personally have no problem with the presence of these kind of things in media in principal, truth be told. My issue lies with the fact that 1. I am no longer allowed to safely voice my disagreement and 2. such a presence is the product of a cooptation of political atheism by businesses and as such inadvertently acts to normalise certain things. As with all of the modern world's evils, they are perpetrated by the atheist and the capitalist.

lightbane

Arcane
We need not wonder why Critical Role not only exists but is exceedingly popular, because DnD has always attracted mentally maladjusted dickweeds who stink and have abnormal sexual proclivities. Big reason why I could never get into PnP. The people are just fucking gay. Turns out the boomers were right.

It certainly got worse, as not all of the PnP games were written by freaks, but nowadays it seems to no longer be the case for modern PnP games, at least for the most known franchises.

Video games managed to conceal this degeneracy for the longest time, because developers aimed to appeal to the largest crowd and thus omitted many of the sick shit that had been inherent to the genre. These days however, what was once niche and deviant is mainstream, hip and socially desirable, which means that devs have received free licence to make public their fetishes that were always present but hitherto kept hidden.
Unfortunately, I believe that's no longer the case. From games such as Original Sin 2 (or at least it was commented here), to Cringefinder as the most recent example, shitty writing from deviant pervs is already a thing in modern rpgs. Check this thread for examples: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/wrath-of-the-cringefinder-compilation-thread.140072/
IMO though you could find examples earlier in Bioware games, especially starting from Dragon Age 2, where everyone was gay or bi, and the stupid dialogue wheel could allegedly cause you to hit on one of your party members by accident. From comments here in the third game the party gets even worse.

Humbaba

Arcane
Video games managed to conceal this degeneracy for the longest time, because developers aimed to appeal to the largest crowd and thus omitted many of the sick shit that had been inherent to the genre. These days however, what was once niche and deviant is mainstream, hip and socially desirable, which means that devs have received free licence to make public their fetishes that were always present but hitherto kept hidden.
Unfortunately, I believe that's no longer the case. From games such as Original Sin 2 (or at least it was commented here), to Cringefinder as the most recent example, shitty writing from deviant pervs is already a thing in modern rpgs. Check this thread for examples: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/wrath-of-the-cringefinder-compilation-thread.140072/
IMO though you could find examples earlier in Bioware games, especially starting from Dragon Age 2, where everyone was gay or bi, and the stupid dialogue wheel could allegedly cause you to hit on one of your party members by accident. From comments here in the third game the party gets even worse.
I already said that.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I used to love critical role now its circled by a fandom of creeps and ghouls who lick their lips at the chance to pounce if the Crew doesn't pander hard enough. Man when will I be able to rate posts here? do I need a minimum amount of posts?

Wait till March 2022 or give DU monies.

nah, that's for GD access. For ratings, you need to have 50 posts
Ah a goal to work towards! What is GD access though?

:gd:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
PnP was never based

Wrong. In the very first editions of D&D had different stats for male and females, the society in most of D&D settings, in Dark Sun, Mystara, Greyhawk(...) is always very traditional, with very local laws, monarchy and aristocracy, if not a magocracy(Thay and Netherese) or a theocracy, with low taxes and a lot of autonomy for smaller regions to govern themselves.

"but it had some degeneration" -> So what, in USA during the wild west you also had some degeneration.

JustLooking

Scholar
How you can ruin something that was already ruined by antisocial sweaty nerds lol. I wouldn't mind playing PnP with some outgoings pals but everyone know only Cheetos breath warriors play it, right?
I played PnP once with a dude that was an public speaker master or smth and he took an role of game master the and shit was good. I'm still not exactly sure why PnP is looked at as game for "nerds". It's like most sociable board game that ever existed.

Ulysa

Scholar
I don't understand why you have to be mad as a gay or trans if the rules don't include those. I play call of cthulhu which doesn't include women. I always make a male char, sorry women didn't exist for Lovecraft. Deal with it or find another rpg. Why everything has to be like real world? It's called fantasy ffs.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't understand why you have to be mad as a gay or trans if the rules don't include those. I play call of cthulhu which doesn't include women. I always make a male char, sorry women didn't exist for Lovecraft. Deal with it or find another rpg. Why everything has to be like real world? It's called fantasy ffs.

You're thinking far too deeply about it. It's just a power play of getting THEIR way.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
cultural bolshevism

I don't even know where to start with this - do you imagine that homosexuality/transgenderism was somehow tolerated or legal in the USSR and that it's just the new Russian Federation that disapproves? Homosexuality was decriminalised after the 1917 revolution, partly by accident and partly because a minority thought it was a mental disorder that could be solved via medical intervention. It was formally recriminised in 1933 and after that they sent a lot of gay men to the gulags.

Bit of a problem for your one dimensional worldview that places everyone on a spectrum between (presumably Catholic) religious conservatives and hardline homocommunism.

I really don't have the time to go line by line through your post ripping it to shreds, just going to pick on one other choice piece of utter nonsense:

In fact, most of the fantasy genre's most important influences and people were never based.

No, "in fact", Tolkien was such a deeply rooted conservative that he wanted to roll back the cultural influence of the Norman Conquest.

I would also point out that Gynax was a card carrying Libertarian Party member, but of course you would view them as dangerously left wing and "godless".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom