Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I thought Pathfinder was better...

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I must say that Wrath's ending goes down as one of the worst endings since Chrono Trigger.

I played the Angel Mythic Path in my Game. Romanced the Queen(holy shit horrible writing) horrible exposition to a romance to anything really.

And through out this game sent suggestions after suggestion. I played the Alpha, I played the Beta and still, STILL!

The writing wasn't fixed. I did however write them another suggestion on how to have a better ending for the Angel Path.
I tired to help them with their music too...but who cares.

Why was Pathfinder a better game? Fear not I shall explain.

When playing Pathfinder you were slowly unraveling a mystery that was tied to you building your kingdom. The characters were better, the whimsical moments were better. I thought the tone was all around just more true to everything in that world.

In Wrath it was more of pointless bloat to an already very ambitious bloated game.

They could have done better every where. I think perhaps this game was designed for young teenagers. Are they not the ones
who purchase such games?

God what a horrible ending! Horrible orchestration! Yet it can be fixed and there is time enough to do the fixing. It's not the ending that must be, it's ending afterwards as final farewell that is horrible and should be fixed based on what you do in the game and the path you take and who you romance and why.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
What's wrong with Chrono Trigger's ending?

wondering forever looking for your love in a time loop is not what you call a good ending. Trust me they got hell for that ending. Not to bad an acoustic song for the ending but to depressing for that game.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
It seems like they had everything in place while the beta was going and even the alpha they didn't change anything.

Hope the Next Game is written better and they think through their characters better. Get that Avalon Chap to help out! He would be able to steer them correctly.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
these games have a story?

It did only I wish it was better! I wasn't the story I wanted it to be. And what could have been so great with the Story Teller's past tied to events happening now just because an after thought.

sigh...

Drowed

Arcane
wondering forever looking for your love in a time loop is not what you call a good ending. Trust me they got hell for that ending. Not to bad an acoustic song for the ending but to depressing for that game.

As far as I know, the "official" ending is 'Beyond Time' - which is where your whole team splits up, each going to their respective timeline and you say goodbye to everyone, and it is implied that you and Marle get married. It has several variations, such as he one where your mother enters the portal chasing the cats and you go looking for her with Lucca and Marle.

Depending on certain things you did in the game the ending changes a bit, I don't even remember this ending you mentioned and I must have seen at least 6 different endings.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess when someone criticizes the game not knowing its title it is sincere criticism. Like, it did not even bother to remember the title.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
That's a badass ending, for a computer game at least.
JRPGs raraly do a lot of things right but they sometimes have interesting stories or elements of stories - as far as computer games go. All storyfags should just play jrpgs and leave the western crpgs alone.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
JRPGs raraly do a lot of things right but they sometimes have interesting stories or elements of stories - as far as computer games go. All storyfags should just play jrpgs and leave the western crpgs alone

The only reason I've played some jRPGs these few years is that they can be more mechanically complex than western counterparts. Troubleshooter is a good example. On the flip side, like 99% of other jRPGs the story is retarded, the aesthetics are often sickening and the tone is juvenile through and through.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Ironically Wrath plays like a JRPG. The story and writing are very close. Only a JRPG would never end the way this game did.
JRPGs usually sound like they are written for young teens and this game is exactly like that.

Now there was a lot here that was good. There were a lot of moments and locations that I thought were really well done.
There were also way to many moments where I thought they dropped the ball completely.

The game felt like walking through mud to get to something good.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That's a badass ending, for a computer game at least.
JRPGs raraly do a lot of things right but they sometimes have interesting stories or elements of stories - as far as computer games go. All storyfags should just play jrpgs and leave the western crpgs alone.

I wouldn't mind a few western RPGs with good writing/story. It's when the writers fall in love with their own shit that's the problem.

dacencora

JRPGs raraly do a lot of things right but they sometimes have interesting stories or elements of stories - as far as computer games go. All storyfags should just play jrpgs and leave the western crpgs alone

The only reason I've played some jRPGs these few years is that they can be more mechanically complex than western counterparts. Troubleshooter is a good example. On the flip side, like 99% of other jRPGs the story is retarded, the aesthetics are often sickening and the tone is juvenile through and through.
Anyone that likes Wizardry style combat and exploration would like JRPGs.

I think in many people's minds the only JRPGs that exist are Final Fantasy and Earthbound. I have often wished that there was a game like X-COM, but fantasy, and the closest thing I have found is Fire Emblem. SRPGs from Japan tend to have pretty deep mechanics and slick gameplay.

The main issue is that many JRPGs are trope-heavy, but there are some that have little story/characters, like the Elminage games or the vast library of Japanese Wizardries.

Overall, my favorite JRPG series is Shin Megami Tensei and that series has excellent gameplay and pretty interesting settings, even if they are usually light on story elements altogether. SMT IV and Strange Journey are standouts as far as gameplay goes.

ikarinokami

Augur
You don't say which ending you got, there are many variations on the angel ending. You didn't state what you didn't like about the writing. Please redo this post properly, you are giving criticism a terrible name.

RIT_SKUA

Literate
Overall, my favorite JRPG series is Shin Megami Tensei and that series has excellent gameplay and pretty interesting settings, even if they are usually light on story elements altogether. SMT IV and Strange Journey are standouts as far as gameplay goes.
Apocalypse and V further improve upon SMT IV's gameplay, if you haven't tried those yet. I also wouldn't agree that SMT, outside of maybe Nocturne, is "story-light", even in comparison to its sister series, Persona, which places an even heavier emphasis on story elements.
The main issue is that many JRPGs are trope-heavy
That is not a JRPG-exclusive problem. Most stories in general are trope-heavy, because most writers are either 1. Terrible or 2. Don't understand that while the treading of many tropes might be inevitable, what is more important is how one ultimately utilizes them to create a cohesive narrative.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Anyone that likes Wizardry style combat and exploration would like JRPGs.

I think in many people's minds the only JRPGs that exist are Final Fantasy and Earthbound. I have often wished that there was a game like X-COM, but fantasy, and the closest thing I have found is Fire Emblem. SRPGs from Japan tend to have pretty deep mechanics and slick gameplay.

The main issue is that many JRPGs are trope-heavy, but there are some that have little story/characters, like the Elminage games or the vast library of Japanese Wizardries.

I think that you and Grunker use term "jrpg" to denote ALL crpg made in Japan/far east. This is not how I use the term. Elminage is a crpg and was made in Japan allright - but is definitely not a JRPG. The latter means a specific (sub)genre and does not include dugeon crawler blobbers. Just my 2 cents.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think that you and Grunker use term "jrpg" to denote ALL crpg made in Japan/far east. This is not how I use the term. Elminage is a crpg and was made in Japan allright - but is definitely not a JRPG. The latter means a specific (sub)genre and does not include dugeon crawler blobbers. Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents are counterfeit, keep them.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Ending sucked because you Romance (man horrible writing) the Queen and then decide for the Greater Good to throw you self into the Wound shutting it forever. That's it. Afterwards you can help Areelu a bit and then it's the end your remembered as some idiot.

There is no coming back to to be with the one you fall in love with etc. It was bad after playing for 300 hours.

Now I am out.

Stay away from the Demonic Vaccine it's a bio weapon that will harm your body. Doesn't stop a virus or defend you against a virus.
You have a 100 trillion virus's in your body already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom