Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN 3 - final chapter of the nu-Hitman trilogy - now available on Steam

ferratilis

Magister
Ok, they botched the Steam release so let me check the game out on Xbox Game Pass, it can't be as terrible of a launch there, right? You've got to be shitting me. In a single player game?!
1-21-2022-8-00-45-AM-voscyn02.png

Why the fuck would you offer an offline mode, if I still can't play the fucking game?!!
1-21-2022-8-00-44-AM-5mln2elg.png

I'm done, this is just too much. You spend a year waiting, only to be greeted by a bigger cancer than the Epic launcher. Fuck this company, and their game. And Fuck Timmy Tencent. I'm reinstalling Blood Money.
Sometimes I wish I never upgraded my PC just so I don't have to deal with ulcer-inducing "modern" gaming.

randir14

Augur
Even Elusive Target Arcade is broken, there's a bug that causes random mission failure. One mission parameter said all bodies must be hidden before completing the contract, and I failed out of nowhere as I was in the process of hiding bodies. IO posted on Twitter that they're aware of the issue so I hope they fix it quickly, because it's bullshit to now have to wait 12 hours for another attempt.

Alphons

Cipher
HitmanForum thread is glorious.
https://www.hitmanforum.com/t/hitman-3-steam-release/13231/215

Not only Steam version costs more than Epic version in several local currencies (users from India and Russia report 40% raise), they also sneakily raised the price on Epic to match the Steam price.

Also that overpriced "DLC bundle" that contains all DLCs actually doesn't contain all DLCs (overpriced Sin escalations have to be bought separately).

Damn, Square Enix are amateurs when compared to independent IOI in predatory monetization bullshit.

Edit:
Please wait in queue to play your $80 single-player game.
ffd60245720d2a4c9988d139e77144be51f44a8d-2-1380x776.jpg

Last edited:

Alphons

Cipher
I'm not buying now, but which of the multiple versions do I need to actually get all of the levels?

If you don't own Hitman 2016 and 2:
Base Hitman 2016+2+3
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/659133/

Patient Zero+ Haven Island and Bank+ two sniper maps
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/24062/HITMAN_Trilogy_Premium_AddOns_Bundle/

If you own both of them you can just buy the base Hitman 3, as there're no DLC locations currently:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/589671/

Just remember that you can't buy Hitman 3 outside of these packs and your price won't be reduced for items you own.

For example if you own Hitman 2 + DLC and Hitman 2016 without Patient Zero, you have to buy the entire DLC bundle I've linked above.

maydaymemer

Educated
God, it's impressive how much IO has actively fucked up nearly every release of the World of Assassins trilogy. These server issues have been here since 2015 when Hitman 2016 was still being released episodically, Hitman 2: Electric Boogaloo began with the DLC fuckery hard since they just dumped all the games on launch and instead of simply having a normal looking $60 game, they still put them in DLC bundles despite dropping the episodic nature, and now just out and out greed on their part to sell a year old game for $60 when it was just 60% off on EGS just a month ago (all the while taking up more exclusivity deals than a loose prostitute would take a multitude of dicks), more server issues despite not even cracking above 2,000 players on Steam as of writing, and an even more confusing bundle scheme. All the while putting the game on fucking GamePass PC the same day and thinking anyone would drop that much for it (then again, apparently people are reporting that shit isn't working either so oh well)! So much for their prior publishers screwing things up, they're just massive fuck ups themselves.

Also while I realize a lot of Codexers probably aren't interested, but this looks like one of the worst VR implementations that have been put on the market so far, especially given they had a fucking year to improve and learn from their PSVR deal.

Agreed. People cheer for IOI suceeding and paint Squeenix as the bad evil capitalist, for example an Atrioc where he was like "damn they contacted their unions? America sux amirite?" But clearly IOI need a competent publisher because they come up with some of the worst ideas on their own. Elusive targets were their idea, this new arcade mode is their idea, confusing DLC schemes are their idea, so it kind of shows that publishers and devs being seperate is for good reason. The games themselves are good, but this new arcade mode is so shit. It takes ETs, which add new routes that can be played and replayed, then takes away their replayability. I hope they add the ETs in their vanilla state to the arcade and make this weird three level system just a side thing, a replacement for escalations
Another thing is instead of just bundling everything as the trilogy pack, instead they're making two seperate packs for what should be a definitive edition. This is ridiculous. I'm now really worried about the year two output because the new stuff they've added has been a disaster so far. This trilogy is one of my favorite games, but the core gameplay isn't so good that I'm gonna keep putting up with bad design and bad decision making because I get some dopamine when I panic an old lady into a sparky puddle. Fix your shit, IO

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Lunar New Year Sale on Steam is next week. Gonna see whether and how much they mark this shit down before I even think of buying in again.

Either way, I'm done with paying out for these big-name releases; be it from IOI or any other publisher. I held out hope for this series since the first episode of season one and it's been nothing but a grim procession of extraneous bullshit overshadowing the games underneath.

There's only one last thing for them to fuck-up, and it's the end-of-life plan for this server-bound series.

maydaymemer

Educated
I think ET Arcade should be split in two. First tab would be this weird multi level thing they're doing where you have to obey complications and if you fail you're back to the start. What I'd change is add saving and loading, remove the cooldown timer and have all the targets show up in instinct. The second tab would be the ETs vanilla, as they are, but with the cooldown timer, no instinct and no saving. So you have to choose between having a specific puzzle to figure out with the first example or a sandbox but with more risk
Another thing, this is an observation I made: I think IOI don't want to make sandboxes. There are individuals at IO that want to make sandboxes, yes, but I think IO as a company whatever that means be it game directors, producers or the CEO don't want Hitman to be a sandbox. Think about it, ever since the start what has been the primary output of their studio with this trilogy? It's not maps, not bonus missions, not new campaigns, it's been Elusive Targets and Escalations. Escalations are linear puzzles where you figure out the one solution and then you're done after 20 minutes. Some escalations have been sandbox-y, a lot have been fun, but they're fun to figure out and then fun to play in a couple months when you have to figure them out again. They're not fun the way Hitman is addictively fun. You don't get a rush of dopamine where you figure out a new way to kill your target or when you see him go to a place you've never seen him go before with a perfect prompt to kick him off the edge. It's more of a thing where you boot it up, play it, say oh that's how I do it and then you do it and move on. Elusive Targets should be better than that, they add new routes to the game and even a bad ET can have more ten more ways to play it than a good escalation. So what do IO do? Make it one time only. So you remember the experience you had playing the first time and that sticks with you. No deviation or elaboration
I feel like this has been a growing cancer in the trilogy from the start. Hitman 1&2 dangled specific mission stories in your face. Sapienza opens up with Rocco's sister calling him into work. Miami emphasizes the flamingo. Mumbai clearly wants you to do the Kashmirian first. Haven gives you a note in your room to give you the most complex mission story that's in that map. With almost every level even if there's a million mission stories there will be one the devs are so proud of they'll shove in your face. Then with Hitman 3 they started each level with a bang and then funneled you into one specific story. Dubai: start climbing then go to the terminal. Dartmoor is obvious. Mendoza wants you to do the tour then the secret meeting where Diana plays the biggest role. They even made what would be mission stories in the previous games not have any guiding because they didn't want you finding them first. They had their vision, and they wanted you to have the first experience be what they wanted and they wanted that to be all you remembered
So to me it makes sense now why they made ETs and Escalations. To them, that's the definitive way to play Hitman. Why would they not reactivate ETs? They said they wouldn't hold up, but half the shit they add as part of their autistic live service vision doesn't hold up. This new Arcade mode doesn't hold up, it's literally taking ETs, which are sandbox-y when you let them be replayed and then making them have a linear, one solution like a puzzle and then making that the only way of replaying them. It's clear they were always lying. They know ETs would hold up better than Escalations, but they don't want them to hold up. They want them to be linear, because that's their vision of what Hitman should be. Just food for thought

Dexter

Arcane

https://ioisupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019127718
HITMAN 3 - Known Issues
IOI_white_on_black_Square.jpg

IOI_PlayerSupport
  • 15 hours ago
  • Updated
This article tracks an ever-changing list of known issues with HITMAN 3. The list isn't exhaustive, but is intended to make players aware of the issues that are currently tracked by IOI. Sometimes, it's just to let you know that we know. If you think that there is a new bug that we should know about, please report it to us.

HITMAN 3 Known Issues
Outstanding Issues
- Issues that are currently in the latest version of the game.

• PC VR Performance
    We are working on a hotfix to address an issue with our shader cache that was causing performance issues. In addition, we're investigating further fixes to improve the PC VR experience.
    Status: Hotfix incoming, further investigation in progress.

• Elusive Target Arcade Timers
    We're investigating issues that cause Arcade Contracts to display fail states (lockout timers) even when players have not played the contracts.

• Xbox Launching Issues
    Update: We've aware of an issue where specific players on Windows PC (Microsoft) / PC Game Pass would crash when the game launched. A known workaround is to navigate to Settings>General and turn off the "Advanced Installation and management features" option in the Xbox app. It may be necessary to perform a full reinstall of the game. We're continuing to track reported issues on Xbox consoles.

Odium Suit missing Sunglasses
    We're aware of the missing sunglasses on the Odium Suit when wearing it in-game.

• HDR
    We’re aware of reports that the HDR implementation isn’t optimal on some setups.

• Troublesome Trophies
    We’re aware of several players having issues unlocking the following trophies/achievements: Ripe for the Picking

1. Players that are having issues with Ripe for The Picking are advised to ensure that both targets have been killed by gas. The relevant challenge (Secondary Fermentation) for this will unlock when the targets have been affected by gas, and so unlocking that challenge isn't a reliable indicator of having completing the requirements for the trophy/achievement. As this video shows, it is also possible to fail the mission but unlock the trophy/achievement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-DQjJSqj0&t=1645s

• Cinematic Issues
    We’re aware that Lucas Grey is missing from some cutscenes, most notably in Isle of Sgail (HITMAN 2) when played in HITMAN 3.
  • Missing Items
    We’re aware that in rare cases, some players are unable to select unlocked items in their mission loadouts. We've not yet been able to reproduce this ourselves, but know of the issue through community reports and we're working to resolve it fully.
None Issues
- Issues that were reported as a bug, but are actually intentional. Some 'none issues' may be addressed in the future.

• Next Mission
    The ICA Facility location does not show a ‘Next Mission’ tile intentionally, because what players would consider to be the ‘next’ mission will depend entirely on what they own and what they have previously played.

• Missing Mastery
    Several players have reported that they don’t see the ‘Mastery progress bars’ in the menu – and that’s not a bug, it’s an intentional part of our UI design. We adjust the UI depending on the device that you’re playing on to give the best experience. For example, the mastery progress bars are intentionally not visible on Switch or when playing Stadia on a mobile phone.

• Black Mirrors
    The mirrors in Alexa Carlisle’s office (Dartmoor) are displayed as black, when playing in PSVR and when viewed from a distance. This is intentional to maintain a high level of performance.

• White Shadow Ninja
    The “White Shadow” suit (Deluxe Pack unlock) is intentionally set up to be treated as a ‘ninja’ in Hokkaido. All ‘ninja rules’ that apply to the other Ninja outfit will apply to the White Shadow. The Futo Suit (IOI Account unlock) is an exception here and is treated as a ‘regular, non-ninja’ suit

Fixed Issues

Alphons

Cipher
It's the eternal chase of the almighty casual's money.

If someone plays your level once, doesn't play contracts and isn't interested in exploring the level, why wouldn't you set up the most complex Mission Story in a way that even someone brain dead will have to start it?

ETs are in similar situation- if casuals won't replay them, why not turn them into an "exciting", "one-time" content? (For the sake of argument let's forget how they turned 4 ETs in Hitman 2 into Special Assignments to pad out Season Pass content)

Episodic release of H2016 was also aimed at casuals to make it "like TV show".

But these things also hurt their casual audience.
The disastrous launch of H3 on Steam shows it.

ferratilis

Magister
It's crazy how much they downgraded the physics going from H1 to H3. After seeing this, it makes me glad I'm not even playing it lol

But "muh raytracing and lighting" an average gamer would say. Well, if it's at the detriment of physics, then fuck it.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I think ET Arcade should be split in two. First tab would be this weird multi level thing they're doing where you have to obey complications and if you fail you're back to the start. What I'd change is add saving and loading, remove the cooldown timer and have all the targets show up in instinct. The second tab would be the ETs vanilla, as they are, but with the cooldown timer, no instinct and no saving. So you have to choose between having a specific puzzle to figure out with the first example or a sandbox but with more risk
Another thing, this is an observation I made: I think IOI don't want to make sandboxes. There are individuals at IO that want to make sandboxes, yes, but I think IO as a company whatever that means be it game directors, producers or the CEO don't want Hitman to be a sandbox. Think about it, ever since the start what has been the primary output of their studio with this trilogy? It's not maps, not bonus missions, not new campaigns, it's been Elusive Targets and Escalations. Escalations are linear puzzles where you figure out the one solution and then you're done after 20 minutes. Some escalations have been sandbox-y, a lot have been fun, but they're fun to figure out and then fun to play in a couple months when you have to figure them out again. They're not fun the way Hitman is addictively fun. You don't get a rush of dopamine where you figure out a new way to kill your target or when you see him go to a place you've never seen him go before with a perfect prompt to kick him off the edge. It's more of a thing where you boot it up, play it, say oh that's how I do it and then you do it and move on. Elusive Targets should be better than that, they add new routes to the game and even a bad ET can have more ten more ways to play it than a good escalation. So what do IO do? Make it one time only. So you remember the experience you had playing the first time and that sticks with you. No deviation or elaboration
I feel like this has been a growing cancer in the trilogy from the start. Hitman 1&2 dangled specific mission stories in your face. Sapienza opens up with Rocco's sister calling him into work. Miami emphasizes the flamingo. Mumbai clearly wants you to do the Kashmirian first. Haven gives you a note in your room to give you the most complex mission story that's in that map. With almost every level even if there's a million mission stories there will be one the devs are so proud of they'll shove in your face. Then with Hitman 3 they started each level with a bang and then funneled you into one specific story. Dubai: start climbing then go to the terminal. Dartmoor is obvious. Mendoza wants you to do the tour then the secret meeting where Diana plays the biggest role. They even made what would be mission stories in the previous games not have any guiding because they didn't want you finding them first. They had their vision, and they wanted you to have the first experience be what they wanted and they wanted that to be all you remembered
So to me it makes sense now why they made ETs and Escalations. To them, that's the definitive way to play Hitman. Why would they not reactivate ETs? They said they wouldn't hold up, but half the shit they add as part of their autistic live service vision doesn't hold up. This new Arcade mode doesn't hold up, it's literally taking ETs, which are sandbox-y when you let them be replayed and then making them have a linear, one solution like a puzzle and then making that the only way of replaying them. It's clear they were always lying. They know ETs would hold up better than Escalations, but they don't want them to hold up. They want them to be linear, because that's their vision of what Hitman should be. Just food for thought
It's the reason why Blood Money is still the best game this series has to offer to date.

maydaymemer

Educated
I feel like people saying blame the higher ups are saying that to preserve the narrative that the developers at IOI are all angels. But I think half the developers are ultra talented people who want to make this new map because they have a desire to both create amazing sandboxes and also please the fans after a disappointing Romania level and year one output. The other half of devs at IO are fart huffing pseuds obsessed with their vision and are constantly trying to sabotage Hitman with linear and one time only shit.
-
My proof of this is when Mattias Engstrom and Forest Swartout Large showed a prototype of the train level a lot of people at IO were horrified, but them and I assume the people that coded that level in were weirdly proud of it. It was lucky Hitman 3 turned out good at all, I used to be quite conflicted and critical of it but now I appreciate that despite the game director trying to sabotage it with his narrative BS they still delivered us an absolute sandbox masterpiece with Berlin. Probably at his behest. It’s a shame too because he did Mumbai and that was one of my fave maps, but it was probably so good because Hitman 2 was directed by the creator of Sapienza so he was answering to someone who wanted to make great Hitman not tell an autistic story
It's crazy how much they downgraded the physics going from H1 to H3. After seeing this, it makes me glad I'm not even playing it lol

But "muh raytracing and lighting" an average gamer would say. Well, if it's at the detriment of physics, then fuck it.

I’ll be honest I dont really care because I dont use stuff like explosives
It's the eternal chase of the almighty casual's money.

If someone plays your level once, doesn't play contracts and isn't interested in exploring the level, why wouldn't you set up the most complex Mission Story in a way that even someone brain dead will have to start it?

ETs are in similar situation- if casuals won't replay them, why not turn them into an "exciting", "one-time" content? (For the sake of argument let's forget how they turned 4 ETs in Hitman 2 into Special Assignments to pad out Season Pass content)

Episodic release of H2016 was also aimed at casuals to make it "like TV show".

But these things also hurt their casual audience.
The disastrous launch of H3 on Steam shows it.
Good point too. It’s amazing how IOI believes the best route for casuals is to make the game better to play once rather than to just make it so you have to replay levels in order to access new levels. I know that sounds like madness but if each new story level were unlocked for example via mastery level five casuals would realize the game isn’t too short and would replay more

Good post but next time hit 'enter' twice after each paragraph, dude.
New here so not sure if I can but I’ll try to edit the post. I just dont like using reddit spacing lol

randir14

Augur
HDR
We’re aware of reports that the HDR implementation isn’t optimal on some setups.

They've been saying the same thing in patch notes throughout the last year. It's never going to be fixed.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yo, PowerTorment, WTF happened there...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom