Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best Bllizzard game?

^

• Total voters

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I don't expect the post-2004 games to get any votes, but I put them in there anyway for completeness' sake.

I split the SC2 campaigns into 3 entries because they're long enough to be separate games. WoW is its own beast. Overwatch, heartstone and heroes of the storm don't exist.

Eisen

Learned
I don't play it anymore, nor i was good at it, but it's StarCraft 1

dacencora

Huh, very interesting. I thought that Blizzard had bought the rights to The Lost Vikings later on, but I was mistaken. That’s probably my favorite of the bunch, then.

El Presidente

Arcane
Tough one, their old stuff is superb. Starcraft is awesome. Warcraft 2 is such an excellent, well rounded game that you can very easily go back into for a few games or to replay the campaign. WC3 I find harder to go back to but it's a very memorable game, great campaigns, great moments, very fun factions to play as, I like that game so much I had to vote for it.

Most badass of their games would have to be Blackthorne. I fucking love that game's style so much, In fact for many years I wished we had a Fallout/Underrail style cRPG of Blackthorne.

I don't think WC3 is hard to go back to at all. It has aged wonderfully, with a great sense of visual design and style, and is still eminently playable. To me, Blizzard died somewhere between 2004 and 2007.

El Presidente

Arcane
To me, Blizzard died somewhere between 2004 and 2007.
You wouldn't believe how much they've desecrated its corpse well after those years. WoW Shadowlands (current expansion) is unbelievably bad even compared to the lowest bar you can conceive, and it retroactively fucked both Warcraft 2 and 3's lore with beyond awful "everything was actually THIS and not that, you're finally knowing about it 20+ years later" style writing. Hence this meme posted a while ago in the images thread:

exyAdrJ.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
You wouldn't believe how much they've desecrated its corpse well after those years. WoW Shadowlands (current expansion) is unbelievably bad even compared to the lowest bar you can conceive, and it retroactively fucked both Warcraft 2 and 3's lore with beyond awful "everything was actually THIS and not that, you're finally knowing about it 20+ years later" style writing. Hence this meme posted a while ago in the images thread:
Wait, that's actually real and not just a shitpost? You're telling me that the Yu-Gi-Oh sounding bullshit is actually in the game? I'm not sure words can accurately reflect how that makes me feel.

El Presidente

Arcane
Wait, that's actually real and not just a shitpost? You're telling me that the Yu-Gi-Oh sounding bullshit is actually in the game? I'm not sure words can accurately reflect how that makes me feel.
No joke, it's real. And it's worse than the worst anime you can come up with, it's completely packed full of blatant plot holes everywhere, plus Sylvanas has turned into the worst written character I've ever seen except perhaps for the Jailer, which is the expansion's main antagonist. It's that bad.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It can probably be mathematically proven that Starcraft + Broodwar is the best game they've made.

catfood

AGAIN
Starcraft is their only masterpiece. Warcraft 3 maybe for the campaigns and custom maps. The rest of their catalogue is total garbage. Blizzard is the most overrated company in history.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Warcraft 3 maybe for the campaigns and custom maps.
Yeah, that's why I'm conflicted between it and SC, because it was a step down mechanically, but the campaign is so creative and made with such attention to detail. Both in the mission design and in the story detail in each map. It's enough to make you think it's the best gaem evar, until you get to playing it and realize "best" is a stretch.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Wc3's story also bugs me in how it made humans a punching bag race. I'm talking about Garithos and Sylvanas. On one hand you have a whiny and vengeful oh-so-tortured bitch who commands an army of evil monsters calling themselves "the forsaken", allies with a demon whom she made betray his brothers, and never talks to her soldiers, while on the other you have a gung-ho marshal with a booming voice, a moustache and a battleaxe, who makes fun of elves for being gay, saves the dwarves despite thinking they're all pricks, calls his soldiers "boys" and has their back with his command aura, and you're telling me I'm supposed to cheer for the former. What tumblrina wrote this?
Garithos was a chad, the man probably had a loyal wife and lots of kids back home he wanted to protect, was looking forward to drinking beer with his boys after the battle is won. He probably mourned for every fallen footman, hell, I'd follow him to my grave.

They made the exact same mistake in Heart of the Swarm. In a fight between Kerrigan and Arcturus Mengsk, I will cheer for Mengsk.

Not like their stories were ever good, but at least in Brood War they knew Kerrigan was both a villain, and an unlikeable character. Characterization is a big strength of Brood War, and it saved the cobbled-together plot. I love the Terran campaign for precisely that. Dugalle, Stukov and Duran are just electrifying.

dacencora

Wait what? Garithos, while being far from a sympathetic character, was betrayed and stabbed in the back by Sylvanas. I don’t think any of the WC3 writers meant for you to “cheer” for Sylvanas in that scenario. She is a monstrous villain. Pretty interesting villain in WC3 (haven’t played any WoW so I can’t say how they changed her character afterwards). Most of the characters in WC3 were pretty flawed and self-serving. Only Thrall seemed without major flaws.

i'd say starcraft, probably will vote for it, because it changed the genre forever, but the care they built diablo 2 with was incredible, skyhigh production value. the expansion was lame but i can't play any game with skills but not synergies without flinching.

potatojohn

Arcane
The Lost Vikings is the only one that seems appealing to play at this point. It has a certain timeless quality IMO.

dacencora

The Lost Vikings is the only one that seems appealing to play at this point. It has a certain timeless quality IMO.
If you’ve never played it, it’s pretty great. I played a lot of it as a kid.

curds

Magister
I don't really like RTS games, so either Diablo 1, 2 or vanilla WoW for me.

WoW is easily the one I've played the most. Diablo 2 is the one I've played the least, but it's probably technically the best game of the three.

madbringer

Arcane
I'm torn between Warcraft 2 and Brood War. WC2 is the first actually good RTS game (fuck off C&C nerds, the UI in 1 and Red Alert is horrible), Brood War is the definitive RTS MP game.

Having that toss-up, I have to give the vote to Diablo 1. I can play that game endlessly. Good gameplay, perfect ambiance, and tons of mods like The Hell to keep the experience fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom