Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What controller do you nerds use?

Codex Year of the Donut
some pc ports have shit kb+m controls, so what controller am I supposed to buy if I want to play them

last console I owned was a ps2 or something so I don't know shit about controllers

Melcar

Arcane
Some cheap generic wired controller.

If you run Steam most controllers will just work if you keep the overlay on. At most you will have to configure them with Steam. This also is true if you use Steam to manage and launch all your other non-Steam games. At least that's how it works in Linux.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The best 'standard' console controller is PS5's one. I just feels amazing.

But Xbox one is just fine.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The controller for the current xbox ("Xbox Wireless Controller") works very well and is typically the one that modern controller games are designed around.

d443d9ff-bba9-4909-ac8e-56bdfe7c3ed3.jpg

It works with Bluetooth but the pricey, controller specific usb dongle apparently has slightly lower latency and in most cases better stability too. Takes normal AA batteries but can burn through rechargables a bit fast. You can use it wired over usb-c. The only niggle is that the 3.5mm audio jack on the controller itself does not work over Bluetooth, only wired and the special dongle thing.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Educated
Been using a PS2 controller for a very long time and emulation usage aside, it works well with everything that I've tried (which hasn't been a lot but still...).

Falksi

Arcane
Some cheap generic wired controller.

If you run Steam most controllers will just work if you keep the overlay on. At most you will have to configure them with Steam. This also is true if you use Steam to manage and launch all your other non-Steam games. At least that's how it works in Linux.

Got one of these myself. It wears out pretty quickly, but it's comfy to use and a bargain at £20.

When this one goes I want to try a more expensive one, but for a cheapo it was worth picking up.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I use a SteelSeries generic PlayStation style controller. Its worked fine for me for the years I've had it. Mind you, I prefer the PS style of controllers since I play more console FPSes than anything else. Xbox controllers are probably better if you're playing something else. The ergonomics of having the two joysticks at the same level isn't as important.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I use the regular Logitech F310 for most games and a SEGA Saturn controller replica by Retro-bit when actual skill and precision are required (fighting games, arcade); both wired of course.

Codex Year of the Donut

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The best as build quality and feel is the Nintendo Pro but it tends to lag on Windows, which is a damn shame.

The Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows is my go to.

M+K is the best but some games are simply better designed for console use. Including shit like Wasteland3.

xbone's. wired. mandatorily wired. fuck anything wireless.
but i've been thinking for a long while to get a playstation one for emulation (are they usb now?) because i'm never going to remember the buttons template and older games weren't very kind with their prompts (i'm looking at you, dragon ball bt3).

If you want something in-between an Xbox and PS controller, check out the Nvidia Shield (2017 version) controller. The sticks are configured like the Playstation's but D-pad and overall feel is more like an Xbox, and it's got really good (internal) battery life. Unlike the PS controller where you need third-party software to get it to work with most games, PC detects it as an Xbox 360 controller out of the box so you don't have to configure anything.

1572901272_7605858750642.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom