Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nazralath: The Fallen World - dark fantasy action adventure inspired by PS:T, Beksiński & Lovecraft

Riskbreaker

This is completely false and is by far the weirdest comment anyone has ever made about me on the internet.
watch out for this might be future prediction. 10% of the time rusty is right every time
Now these days we are supposed to be primarily as possibilities are we not? We wouldn't wish to limit IronProphet's potentialities of being then. Ours after all is a community that fosters heterogeneity - we can compare the Codex to a large organic membrane spread over a flat surface, each cell striving to affirm its uniqueness from all others, each filled to bursting with diseased fluids and out of its surplus producing a layer of additional cells-alts dissimulating their similarity to the parent, the whole enjoying this joyous agony of endless dispersion into difference, forever in tension but never tearing.

vmar

Savant
The game is not a Soulslike in any sense of the word, it is a dialogue-driven branching narrative with occasional combat and bosses.

After Elden Ring the last thing I want to do is play another souls like so this is good news. I have to admit I like the art style so I'll probably keep an eye on this.

This is super uncalled for.

I don't think you're gonna like it here...

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
My interest is piqued. I love Beksinski's art style and I love the absurdly nuanced dialogue trees in PST, so both of those together sounds amazing. Good luck!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Trailer looks cool despite being misleading i guess (looks like a straight up Dark Souls clone, which i wouldn't mind as i love Dark Souls but clones of this series have been a mixed bag so far).

Claiming the game is "Souls-like" is also a red flag as this term is used far too often and often inappropriatly (the game is hard? Souls-like!).

The Torment influence is more unusual but that's such a tall oder that skepticism is bound to happen until concrete evidence this isn't another tall claim is presented.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
When you say "inspired by X" it just sounds like you aren't going to do your own thing. This is the case with too many "souls-inspired" games for example.

Zibniyat

Arcane

This is completely false and is by far the weirdest comment anyone has ever made about me on the internet.

Pay no attention to try-hard imbeciles of this forum.

Good luck with the game, try not to compromise too much to please someone.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I find it so bizarre when games namedrop their "influences" in a marketing way.

Just imagine in movies how stupid it sounds

"Check out my new movie! Inspired by Casablanca and Citizen Kane, it also has the script style of Solaris and the actor direction of The Godfather!

Anyway, don't get mad dev, I'll probably buy it anyway. Even if you're a fucking tranny.

Games aren't movies however. And time and again it has been shown that "namedropping" works on feeble minds of many videogame players as a marketing tool. We have threads dedicated to old, useless and spent has-beens, where their lives, both personal and professional, are closely followed and scrutinised.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Big fucking :roll:

"Souls-like", "Lovecraft" - Big red flags.
They use fucking Gmail for their company email. Powered by Epic. No further company info but apparently they are Balkanoids. :hahano:

You don't seem to understand what this place is.

A cesspool of retardation and degeneracy?

He probably figured that out by now.

Yes but that's besides the point.
Everyone here should be able to recognise red flags and the description of the project is nothing but.

"Souls-like Lovecraftian love letter to PST" might impress Reddit, but not us.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
When you say "inspired by X" it just sounds like you aren't going to do your own thing.

That's hardly a problem.

The issue is that once you associate your game with something else you are invariably inviting a comparison.

There's advantages from a marketing point of view but its a double edged sword because you are now laboring under an increased level of pressure. Those of us who loved Torment aren't going to take kindly to something with crappy writing and a poor story.

Or maybe not given that Tides of Numenera sold a bunch lmao nevermind carry on.

Last edited:

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
A lot of movie ads will make reference to prominent prior works of the crew. E.g. Coraline being advertised as directed by the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas, i.e. Harry Selick not Tim Burton (the joke is that they didn't specify his name and were trying to trick moviegoers into thinking it was a Burton film when it wasn't). But it's true that none of them use "inspired by X" in their marketing and that's purely a video game thing. OTOH, the video game industry is notorious for being self-referential to the point of almost resembling Star Trek's nonsensical Darmok language: e.g. metroidvania is a meaningless neologism that refers to a specific form of gameplay but literally refers to two really old franchises that haven't had that gameplay for two decades, same for soulsbourne, roguelike, etc. If we're going to complain about the former, then we should also be complaining about the latter. IMO the latter is even worse because it doesn't even rely on the consumer even playing the referenced games. I'm curious as to why the practice of giving genuinely descriptive names to genres has vanished all of a sudden. MOBA came out around the same time rather than dotalike or whatever.

But I digress.

In any case, I think it's a bit early to pronounce judgment based on what have become standard marketing techniques in our clickbait dystopia.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm willing to suspend my cynicism until they have some actual footage of the game to show us.

At least some of the visuals look pretty good. That first shot of the camera panning down of that sand city is pretty atmospheric.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Hey, at least the art style is nice. And maybe we will see a nipple too!

toughasnails

The art is very nice indeed. Reminds me a bit of Mortal Shell which also had a some Beksiński and metal influence going although it seems to be more pronounced here.
Though, the dev admitting that the trailer is a bit misleading isn't too encouraging, you really could have shown the art and your world, have the bits like the one with priests carrying the body or the ritual afterwards interspersed with the shots of landscapes and architecture, maybe the lonely main character wandering through the game's environments. You would have captured the people's attention just fine, as everyone said the art is p great. It's hard not to have people expecting a combat heavy souls-like with a trailer like the one you shown, so it's something that might bite you in the ass afterwards.

wishbonetail

Learned
I would've loved if there was some meaning to the environments, aside from them just being fansy artsy.
You know, like Beksinski, who grew up in the war ravaged Poland.We can see heavy influence of war, death and religious hypocrisy in his apocaliptic phantasy works. As he was saying, he's been photographing his dreams or rather, id say, nightmares.
Lets take Kafka. His widely known work "The Metamorphosis". One morning he suddenly realised, that he became a large bug, with his family not knowing what to do with him. It is literary his daddy issues. His dad wanted him to become a lawyer, to pursue a career and dissaproved his writing passion. His fears are of being helpless, burden to his family, to displease his father figure . So, he spent his real life on a job he hated, while writing at nights, which became detrimental to his mental health.
Or Silent Hill2, for instance, where each character had his own personal hell. For James walls were everywhere, drapped in dirty white sheets. This is his memories about hospital, where his wife spent her last years and his life has been a literal hell, from which he had no escape, aside killing her. Of course Maria, who was created by his wish, by splicing his dead wife and a local stripper. And she died over and over from the hands of the executor, who symbolises James desire to punish himself for what he did. While for Angela world was in fire , as she burned her house down with her family. Eddys world is gigantic meat freezer, which points to his struggle with obesity and societal reception because of it.
In Silent Hill1 enemies represented Alessas fears, or interests. Like boiler in school basement, which she imagined was a fire breathing monster in her world. Or pterodaktiles and crocodoles, whom she loved to draw in her sketchbook, as we see in her room at the end.
The murderous children were at the school in her nightmare world, while in real world they shunned Alessa for she was different.
So, as i said earlier, the idea is what makes true art.
There were couple of games that integated Beksinsky's style pretty nicely. Like Tormentum Dark Sorrow, which is an adventure game. And The Medium, which is a walking simulator with stealth. Both games take place in otherworlds but none of them explain why they look that way. Although the Medium does have an interesting environments, wich correspond to character's inner worlds. This game could have been a new Silent Hill, if it had gameplay.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I would've loved if there was some meaning to the environments, aside from them just being fansy artsy.
You know, like Beksinski, who grew up in the war ravaged Poland.We can see heavy influence of war, death and religious hypocrisy in his apocaliptic phantasy works. As he was saying, he's been photographing his dreams or rather, id say, nightmares.
Lets take Kafka. His widely known work "The Metamorphosis". One morning he suddenly realised, that he became a large bug, with his family not knowing what to do with him. It is literary his daddy issues. His dad wanted him to become a lawyer, to pursue a career and dissaproved his writing passion. His fears are of being helpless, burden to his family, to displease his father figure . So, he spent his real life on a job he hated, while writing at nights, which became detrimental to his mental health.
Or Silent Hill2, for instance, where each character had his own personal hell. For James walls were everywhere, drapped in dirty white sheets. This is his memories about hospital, where his wife spent her last years and his life has been a literal hell, from which he had no escape, aside killing her. Of course Maria, who was created by his wish, by splicing his dead wife and a local stripper. And she died over and over from the hands of the executor, who symbolises James desire to punish himself for what he did. While for Angela world was in fire , as she burned her house down with her family. Eddys world is gigantic meat freezer, which points to his struggle with obesity and societal reception because of it.
In Silent Hill1 enemies represented Alessas fears, or interests. Like boiler in school basement, which she imagined was a fire breathing monster in her world. Or pterodaktiles and crocodoles, whom she loved to draw in her sketchbook, as we see in her room at the end.
The murderous children were at the school in her nightmare world, while in real world they shunned Alessa for she was different.
There were couple of games that integated Beksinsky's style pretty nicely. Like Tormentum Dark Sorrow, which is an adventure game. And The Medium, which is a walking simulator with stealth. Both games take place in otherworlds but none of them explain why they look that way. Although the Medium does have an interesting environments, wich correspond to character's inner worlds. This game could have been a new Silent Hill, if it had gameplay.

I think you are asking too much from a video game.

And as for Dark Souls or Beksinski, the real question is the Torment name drop.

I'm sure the game will have knewl looking enviorments but we need to see writing and dialog.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

It has some dialog screens.

ss_a4f6621f528b10197e5270309f6e7923ce138ecf.1920x1080.jpg
ss_f29bf9188694db9e3514f6688075d8078f632263.1920x1080.jpg

This reminds me of Hellblade a bit too. (Probably because of camera and colors.) PS:T meets Dark Souls meets Hellblade maybe.

S.torch

Arbiter
This is maybe the first time I see an initial page filled almost entirely with imbecile comments only.

By the way, I don't understand why the developers don't just say that this game is a RPG. It makes no sense that all their mentioned inspirations are RPGs, and they don't call this game the same. And the screenshots seems to confirm that.

wishbonetail

Learned

I think you are asking too much from a video game.

And as for Dark Souls or Beksinski, the real question is the Torment name drop.

I'm sure the game will have knewl looking enviorments but we need to see writing and dialog.
Did I wrote all of this? Shiet, I must have been totally wasted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom