Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It reminds me of summoner and one other game,but can't remember the name....:argh:

Last edited:

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
It's been a very long time since I played this one. After seeing this thread it's time to revisit.
Pulled out my original and made some quality box scans which are seemingly lacking on the net for this game...

Click for full size:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It reminds me of summoner and only game,but can't remember the name....:argh:

Soulbringer?
Fuck it,is amazing how similar are those games when people could just remember it like you did :). They are all games of its era. Also king quest mask of eternity.

I haven't played Soulbringer yet, since I'm waiting for a 75% or better sale on GOG, but I've seen it being mentioned in the same sentence as Evil Islands more than once.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It reminds me of summoner and only game,but can't remember the name....:argh:

Soulbringer?
Fuck it,is amazing how similar are those games when people could just remember it like you did :). They are all games of its era. Also king quest mask of eternity.

I haven't played Soulbringer yet, since I'm waiting for a 75% or better sale on GOG, but I've seen it being mentioned in the same sentence as Evil Islands more than once.
Those games are very similar. They are fine rpgs but pretty hard to finish really,could become a bit boring after 20ish hours.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm still enjoying the last part of Evil Islands, although it's become more frustrating.
Backstabbing is rarely an option; instead it's luring away one and one of the rather evenly placed monsters in most areas, and then chipping away. Everything has better defense than my attack, so there's rarely criticals.
Consequently I also find myself using companions.

Last edited:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first island is better than the other two. Both in map design and atmosphere. On the other hand you can now make some really nice gear with crazy good spells attached to it.

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm still enjoying the last part of Evil Islands, although it's become more frustrating.
Backstabbing is rarely an option; instead it's luring away one and one of the rather evenly placed monsters in most areas, and then chipping away. Everything has better defense than my attack, so there's rarely criticals.
Consequently I also find myself using companions.

You probably minmaxed wrong.
Generally speaking, if I'm playing melee, I'm able to stop relying on backstabs as the primary means of offense around the middle of the second island, after I'm able to procure some steel and good metal armour schematics.
It's also here that you start getting enough shit to make really nasty offensive spells.
On the third island, I'm generally able to fight even tough enemies 1-on-1 once I get the good armour schematics. But even before that I can dish out some damage.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, things got much easier once I got a good support character (Fayrakh) casting buffing spells.
I'm using the Lightning Spear for max damage and attack rating, while Khadar is using the Mithril Crossbow.

With 75 Melee Zak has Attack 100 which is still less than the defense of most enemies.
I've not picked any weapon skill, since I have no idea which will be most useful in the end, although if I would have to choose I'd pick Spear since they have the best Attack bonus.

Damage spells are finally being somewhat effective if you can get Effect 50+. Still I prefer to use buffing and debuffing.

Currently exploring the city of Su*. I think I need better equipment (most armour is Steel) before facing any Veteran Soldiers ("Nasty"), so I'm gonna explore more of the Necromancer's Desert. Managed to defeat the Harpy and it's three Spider minions, though.

I was rather pissed off by not being allowed to get back to the caves to get more Meteorite from the Wormheads.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you're on the third Island beyond the initial quest where you get access to the blacksmith, you really shouldn't use much steel anymore. Mythril isn't that expensive and can hold very good buffs and healing spells, you can also make decent light armor from blue troll skin. You can still get meteorite, from desert ogres if I remember correctly (they're in some random places in the desert areas), but yeah, the optimal way is to get as much as you can from the caves. Same as you can get a ton of steel at the start of the second island by backstabbing the forest pygmies on your way to the town.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Good armour is expensive to buy, and expensive to repair.
I'm replacing the pieces most prone to break first. Had a Canian Jerkin of Blue Troll Hide which I replaced with a Khanaganian Reinforced Adamantite Chainmail with Heal spell. And the old boots were replaced with Reinforced Mithrill Boots. And most of the Meteorite I had was used to make a new helmet. The rest is Steel until I get more money.

I think this game will score high on CRPG Addict's Gimlet rating for Economy when/if he eventually gets there.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can see the point in maxing out backstabbing now. I only occasionally manage to critically hit with a backstab now against Old Spiders (why spiders and not scorpions in the desert, though?). I guess it's handy if you want to kill those Veteran Desert Ogres too, since they probably regenerate like hell.
You save a hell of a lot of money if you can kill enemies before they tear up your armour. I must have spent millions on repairs by now!

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I must retract my previous statements about damage dealing magic being useless.

The way the armour system works elemental magic becomes quite useful in the last part of the game. Armour values only increase slowly with 30 about the best you can get, while magic Effect can get over 100. So the wider the gap between armour values on monsters and how much Effect you get from your spells, the more useful Elemental Magic gets.

In the beginning you can't even scratch a lowly wolf (Armour 7 IIRC) with a fireball, and even with the best Runes available in the first act I don't think you'll ever be able to deal enough elemental damage for it to be useful. But in the third act once you get a 104 Effect Acid Fog (a stackable spell) that lasts 30 seconds a Veteran Sand Ogre goes down fast.
A Wall of Lightning is probably a good way of dealing with Imperial Guards which are the most scary normal enemies I've seen so far. Too bad I didn't buy any in the first act.

Doppelgangle

Barely Literate
Apparently, "Lost in Astral" add-on was translated to English by the guy named Meoseko. So it's playable now.
And it can be installed as a mod to original EI, together with HD Patch. Just dropping the news, no idea if it's okay to put links here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also king quest mask of eternity.
I actually have a walkthrough / guide book (when those were still written) in German around somewhere.
Was browsing it recently and thought maybe it would be time to give it a try again and see just how much I can ruin my childhood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom