Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

flyingjohn

Arcane
can you make it so you can choose which games do you want from exodos?
Yes. Get the torrent and download the metadata and the games/extras you want. The metadata contains the config files you will need and the games can be run with any dosbox variant following the config settings.
Or you can download everything exodos needs to unpack(everything not in Gamedata and the exodos folder) plus the games/extras and then run setup.bat and only the games you have will be integrated into lunchbox. You will still have to install them when running them for the first time in lunchbox.
And unlike GOG, you have the option of running the original or modified game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
ezgif-5-08766d9c1a.png
dd43c9c53e09d1e90361a49ba36ef520546aede30339db0191867e82487f1801_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

GOG said:
"First, love dies. Then hope is gone. There's only one thing immortal — faith. Faith will stay alive and roam the Earth forever, even after the last human's breath. The stones and the wind will treasure it until new souls come, ready for His words, eager to let them in. Thus spoke the Pastor. And our faith grew stronger."
Let us play.....

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
ezgif-5-08766d9c1a.png
dd43c9c53e09d1e90361a49ba36ef520546aede30339db0191867e82487f1801_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

GOG said:
"First, love dies. Then hope is gone. There's only one thing immortal — faith. Faith will stay alive and roam the Earth forever, even after the last human's breath. The stones and the wind will treasure it until new souls come, ready for His words, eager to let them in. Thus spoke the Pastor. And our faith grew stronger."
Let us play.....
What's this game like?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GOG is shit, mate. I already said it once, it lost all its respect when they refused Cleve's Grimoire game, the very kind of game that store was once created for.
And then they allowed his game, once he patched it to acceptable quality.

GOG used to have higher standards of curation back in the day. Now they're letting everything in :)

Viata

Arcane
GOG used to have higher standards of curation back in the day
Back when? There was a fuckton of shitty game being released around the time they denied Cleve's game.

What? But I have Grimoire on GOG.
That was like months after they refused Grimoire.
See:
dlbFbzm.jpg

Guess which one was rejected by GOG :-/

I have no issue with these anime JRPGs or VNs or whatever they are, but i can't see how one can accept the game at the left side and reject the game at the right side. Perhaps instead of some robed old dude Hands of Necromancy should have had some big breasted heroine instead - GOG does carry Hedon after all and Hands of Necromancy is pretty much as good as Hedon

Zoom Platform has offered to carry the game at least.
Same thing happened with Grimoire: https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/grimoire_heralds_of_the_winged_exemplar?as=1649904300

They said that "it's not a good fit for GOG" and the request was fullfilled only after it got around 1000 votes. Pathetic.
And
Since this has become a disconcerting trend from GoG's curation, let's compile a list of decent indie RPGs that we know were rejected by GoG's idiotic curation team:

- Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
- Vigilantes
- Legends of Amberland
- Das Geisterschiff
- Lurking
- Titan Outpost

Those were all made by Codex posters who informed us directly on the Codex that GoG rejected their games for reasons such as "not high enough production values" when the games look about on par with all the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s games GoG has founded its store on.

Post others ITT when you know about them.

EDIT:
Other games rejected by GoG that posters in this thread found out:
- Steam Marines
- Warlock of Firetop Mountain
- Swords and Sorcery: Underworld
- the PC port of the Japanese Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls
- Aeon of Sands
- Voidspire Tactics

Gandalf

Arbiter
GOG used to have higher standards of curation back in the day
Back when? There was a fuckton of shitty game being released around the time they denied Cleve's game.

What? But I have Grimoire on GOG.
That was like months after they refused Grimoire.
See:
dlbFbzm.jpg

Guess which one was rejected by GOG :-/

I have no issue with these anime JRPGs or VNs or whatever they are, but i can't see how one can accept the game at the left side and reject the game at the right side. Perhaps instead of some robed old dude Hands of Necromancy should have had some big breasted heroine instead - GOG does carry Hedon after all and Hands of Necromancy is pretty much as good as Hedon

Zoom Platform has offered to carry the game at least.
Same thing happened with Grimoire: https://af.gog.com/wishlist/games/grimoire_heralds_of_the_winged_exemplar?as=1649904300

They said that "it's not a good fit for GOG" and the request was fullfilled only after it got around 1000 votes. Pathetic.
And
Since this has become a disconcerting trend from GoG's curation, let's compile a list of decent indie RPGs that we know were rejected by GoG's idiotic curation team:

- Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
- Vigilantes
- Legends of Amberland
- Das Geisterschiff
- Lurking
- Titan Outpost
That is interesting topic, indeed. Out of these six games, three of them are currently on GOG. It doesn't look like it can't be done. I wonder what made them change their curators minds? Votes? Patches? What else could that be?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The one and only reason I prefer Steam over GOG is that Steam has no curation and allows any indie dev to publish whatever shit he made.

Yes, this leads to a flood of shitty anime games, but it also leads to plenty of great hidden gems made by passionate solo devs.
GOG is missing these hidden gems, yet for some reason has the same flood of shitty anime games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I believe some devs refuse to GOG like Ubisoft, Square Enix etc. Well, third party log in support at least. (Which i hate).

IMG_5686.jpeg

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The one and only reason I prefer Steam over GOG is that Steam has no curation and allows any indie dev to publish whatever shit he made.

Considering that if a game is on Steam but not on GOG there isn't much of a preference to be had (someone else made that choice for you), i'd guess that with that you mean if a game is on both Steam and GOG you'd get it on Steam instead of GOG? What if it is available in another DRM-free place like Zoom Platform or itch.io?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Considering that if a game is on Steam but not on GOG there isn't much of a preference to be had (someone else made that choice for you), i'd guess that with that you mean if a game is on both Steam and GOG you'd get it on Steam instead of GOG? What if it is available in another DRM-free place like Zoom Platform or itch.io?
I like GOG's installers but the problem of GOG as a platform is that most of the games I have on Steam aren't even available there.
That's why I prefer Steam for discovering new games: there's a lot more games to discover.
But yeah I mostly purchase on Steam these days. It's not like indie games have DRM there, you can back up your install folder and it's gonna work as-is if you copypaste it to another PC.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like GOG's installers but the problem of GOG as a platform is that most of the games I have on Steam aren't even available there.
That's why I prefer Steam for discovering new games: there's a lot more games to discover.
But yeah I mostly purchase on Steam these days. It's not like indie games have DRM there, you can back up your install folder and it's gonna work as-is if you copypaste it to another PC.

I see. Personally i also use Steam to discover new games, but then i just wait for them to be released on GOG :-P (and vote in the waitlist for them) or other DRM-free platforms. I think it is important to make clear that i want DRM-free games (Steam might not have DRM for some games but this isn't something you can know ahead of time before buying the game nor the developers know you want that when you buy a game on Steam - well, unless you bother to send them a message/email/tweet/whatever, but i doubt anyone does that :-P).

I also buy stuff from Steam but it is usually long after their release date when it has become clear there wont be a GOG/ZP/itch/etc release - and i always get it on a sale so that if my attempt to remove any Steam dependency (via Steamless and Godbolt's emulator) fail, i wont feel like i lost much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom